Gear that you got the proved to be bad or useless

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Ben_Rylance, Jan 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. WalkingStick

WalkingStick Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Surprised to hear this. I have two pair. My Pa has owned many and swears by em. Please note, this is only the USA made models.

The first were Iron Rangers I could wear to my desk job (business casual). Took 3-4 months to break in and I had bad blisters prior to then; almost gave up on em. Afterwards, they have been the most comfortable boots I've owned. Had em 6 years (wore em almost everyday for 4 years) and wouldn't trade em for the world. I also have a pair of 11 inch NailSeat boots (Pecos) that fit perfect and no issues after one week. My favorite pair of pull on/western style boots I've ever had. Have worn them almost everyday for a year.

Both are USA made and great leather from what I reckon. A little oil/wax treatment and they are supple and come back to life.

I know a few people that have had issues but it was mostly due to having too wide of feet for the boot they bought. Or folks that bought a size they wear in tennis shoes but is too big in Red Wing boot sizing. I wear size 11 in most other shoes but for Red Wing I had to buy 10's.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    WILL, morganbw, Winterhorse and 2 others like this.
  2. TrespassersWilliam

TrespassersWilliam Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Chinese Doc Martens. I used to wear them for work shoes. The last pair were so poorly made that no amount of wear did not result in chafed, bloody heels.

Exotac fire sleeve - waterproofed bic lighter cover the size of a potato.

Harbor Freight "wool" blankets made from pressed rags.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    morganbw, Lichen, InfiNate and 3 others like this.
  3. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    5th generation 1984 Dodge Charger. I bought it from a place that sold used bulldozers, and bought scrap metal, that should have been a clue. "Gosh Willie, this one's too purty to crush, let's paint her up".

At the 1,000 mile mark of ownership, I had the dubious distinction of having actually towed it more miles than I drove it. Zero dollars spent on towing, family helped, but still.
    I know what Dodge Chargers used to be, but a Mitsubishi 4 cylinder FWD hatchback is obviously not the same.

L@@K!!!! Score of F- !!! WOULD NOT BUY AGAIN (for Ebay review fans).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  4. caoutdoorsman

caoutdoorsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sawyer Squeeze.

I only got ~3 gallons of water filtration (clear stream water too, nothing cloudy or silty) before it stopped working completely. Back-flushed it according to directions included after each trip as well.

I may have just gotten a lemon, but drinking Iodine flavored water (my backup method) for 4 days while carrying an almost new filter is pretty irritating. Once I get overtime during summer I'm buying a Katadyn.

5. Affl1ction

Affl1ction Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I second the harbor freight wool blanket, mine stinks and is thin. Luckily it was cheap

6. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Firesteel bracelet buckles. They all have at least a whistle as well as other gimmicks. Rarely found one with a whistle that made more than a whisper. The steels make spark. That's about as much as I'd say. Compasses somtimes work sometimes don't. The multi tool some fancy models come with is of limited use.
    While not useless I've made purchase that could have been better thought out. A pack that is never comfy. A beast of a knife that was perfectly fine. Just way more knife than needed.

7. Gumbi

Gumbi Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Pencil sharpener a for bushcrafting. It's far faster and easier to use a knife.

8. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Gotta agree it’s not much of a splitter, but I thinned it a bit more and I’ll bet I could filet fish with it if not for the funky steel handle. It is a crappy but almost bullet proof design.

9. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    bought my first one at a surplus store in Glenwood Springs, Colorado MANY MOONS ago where the sales guy warned about not using their proprietary candles because virtually any other candles would render the lantern into a MAJOR PITA

over time i have bought a couple more @ flea mkts & garage sales that closely resemble what you have described

a lot of scraping and submerging in boiling water later and VOILA i have fully functional units ;-)

there are some EMERGENCY CANDLES(same size & shape) offered/sold by lesser vendors who pray on penny pinchers that WILL generate the results described above if used in one of these spring loaded models

i currently have both the solid brass and aluminium units that work quite well WHEN using the specified candles

UCO offers a 3-pack for about $5

https://www.rei.com/product/410128/uco-candle-lantern-candles

and they also offer a 3-pack of pure 100% beeswax candles which emit a pleasant aroma while producing less smoke for about $13

https://www.rei.com/product/737330/uco-candle-lantern-beeswax-candles-package-of-3

these little lanterns give off a friendly glow when placed on a table or are set inside a tent

they provide enough light to eat by a/o get ready for bed and one candle is usually enough for a weekend trip which isn't a $$ tie breaker even in this old retyred curmudgeon's budget

10. Brown85

Brown85 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sharpness was def not the problem. I would agree that the blade profile resembles a knife more than an axe. As you said its darn near indestructable, I could see its place mounted in a Jeep or on a snowmobile...that kind of thing.

11. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sure wish Estwing made them with a handle of a same diameter from head to foot...

12. Brown Beard

Brown Beard Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Mine would have to be a Hydration Pack. It really didn't have enough uses to justify the cumbersome of it.

13. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    the leather does prevent the soles from flexing to a great extent

AND

please re-read my instructions to WEAR THEM DRY which precludes any shrinkage and greatly aids in the softening of the leather

this process requires the dedication to WEAR THEM DRY or as you mentioned will allow shrinkage creating an even worse fitting boot

my late boot/shoe man told me to then soak/completely saturate the boots/shoes in NEATSFOOT OIL prior to using my preferred waterproofing product a/o polishing

once the leather is stretched to the individual's foot and walking action the boot/shoe will feel way more better

14. sonofadoublegun

sonofadoublegun LL&P

Blog Posts:
    I have the same kit and agree about the stove... It works OK as a stand for the bottle when set inside another larger fire, but since you can just set the bottle right in the fire, it makes it kind of useless. LOL. It does work OK with a couple of my pop-can alcohol stoves, though.

15. ManyHammers

ManyHammers Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The best glasses for snow are found at the welding supply store. I forget which shade I have but they work very well for blocking uv .

morganbw, central joe and Winterhorse like this.
  16. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The Chinese made compasses always point to Beijing.

The worst thing that I purchased which I had high expectations for was a SAK Farmer. I know many folks here love them, but for me the slip joint springs were way too stiff. I'd rip fingernails off trying to get any of the blades deployed. I gave it away.

The one item that I expected to be junk turned out to be quite useful. It was the 'Survivo' combination whistle, compass and match case. I found the compass to be pretty accurate, the match case was watertight and the whistle was loud! It came with a cheap lanyard, though. I bought it at Walmart from Coughlins.

Steve

17. Cascadian

Cascadian Scout

Blog Posts:
    imageproxy.jpg

18. CuriousLearner

CuriousLearner Nemophilist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It was a giant steamer alright.

morganbw, central joe and Broke like this.
  19. Cascadian

Cascadian Scout

Blog Posts:
    Duh. That's not a compass. That's a Traditional Chinese Medicine Chi-ometer.

chinese_medicine_five_elements.jpg

You should try their wall, though. I hear it's great.

20. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lol, this is timely. I have one of these in my Amazon cart right now. The waterproof thing was a plus but I also liked the little band part that holds the gas tab down and keeps the lighter going without you having to keep your thumb on it.

Though I did note that it seems a bit bulky and pricey for what it is. Perhaps I’ll just delete that from the cart.

Coryphene, morganbw, CSM-101 and 4 others like this.
  21. HeadyBrew

Blog Posts:
    This is just my opinion and personally observed experience but if you’re talking about their pump filters, I’d add them to this list also.

I was fortunate not to buy one but have two close friends that did and both hated them. The pumping is slow and a PITA. They required a lot of maintenance to keep them flowing well and when (not if) they quickly started clogging each pump became harder than the previous. Couple the increasing torque needed with a plastic handle that was prone to bend/twist and break = no thanks. No pumps. Gravity filters are the only way to go in my humble opinion.

I have a platypus gravity and they both switched to gravity and never looked back.

22. TrespassersWilliam

TrespassersWilliam Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  23. DarrylM

DarrylM Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm also unimpressed with the estwing camp axe. Handle is far too small to choke up behind the head for detail work. It has useless acres of flat cheeks for extra friction while getting the axe into the wood far enough that the hammer poll could eventually start splitting.

24. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Fiskar axes- have had two that badly rolled and chipped on the edge, chopping on green mesquite and post oak. Bad heat great or grind and poor WC.
    Not worth having.

25. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Still going Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I bought a pur hiker pump filter years ago have replaced the filter element ever couple years. One trip the filter was trying to clog and the pump Handel broke fortunately I carry iodine tabs for back up when I got home I tryed to contact pur. Only to find out the company was bought out by katadyn hum. I contacted katadyn witch still makes the same model and asked to buy a replacement pump Handel they said yes an I gave them my address in less than a week a new pump Handel arrived with a new o ring and guilde and keeper but no invoice. A week and a half after contacting katadyn a second pump handle compleat with o ring guilde and keeper came in the mail. Still no invoice. I called katadyn again wanting to square up with them surly pump handels are not free. However I was wrong the first Handel they sent was free to replace the broken one the second also free in case I ever have the same problem. They did this with out a reseat they did this knowing that it was a pur filter bought years before katadyn bought the company. In my mind there costumer service goes way beyond reasonable expectations. And if I ever need a new filter I will buy one from katadyn !!!

26. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would havexpect to say the mac lite flashlight kit to turn the old flashlight to a led did not work that well. Prov 27 : 17

27. Alex Blain-Laider

Alex Blain-Laider Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, either you got a lemon or you're doing something wrong. I've had good luck with the ones I've laid hands on.

morganbw, Nick94, Winterhorse and 4 others like this.
  28. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Browning LED headlamp. I get about 20 minutes of run time on a set of batteries.

Most things by UST.

Not too impressed with the Sawyer gravity filter, maybe I just haven’t found a way to use it that works for me. The floppy water bag collapses when trying to fill it in a stream. Switched to a water bottle but the vapor lock is so bad that the water won’t flow through.

morganbw, Terasec, Broke and 2 others like this.
  29. HeadyBrew

Blog Posts:
    I appreciate and respect any company that stands behind their product. But the fact is that it DID break when you needed it. Fortunately you had a backup.

No moving parts on a gravity filter. Nothing to break aside from the filter element itself. I guess that’s my main point.

morganbw, Broke, Bobsdock and 2 others like this.
  30. LongAgoLEO

LongAgoLEO Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm with you! And I tried to make it work; wanted it to work. Finally mounted it to the dash in my truck. A little hard to discern, but only pics I have. Works splendidly this way. When life gives you a lemon...

IMG_0474.JPG Winter '16 - 481.JPG

31. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think you need more gear in that truck ;)

Looks like you're ready to rock.

morganbw, PMSteve, Broke and 4 others like this.
  32. LongAgoLEO

LongAgoLEO Guide

Blog Posts:
    Tip of the iceberg, friend; tip of the iceberg. LOL

33. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like the way you think!
    As the saying goes, It's what you don't see that can hurt you :)

morganbw, Broke, Bobsdock and 3 others like this.
  34. Ridgerunner84

Ridgerunner84 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My parents got me a 5x7 tarp one year and I never used it until I went for my Wilderness First Responder course. When we were doing improvised shelters I figured it would be a good one to pack in. Well...I set up a line and started to tighten it up...and the tarp pretty much tore in half! hahaha. It was an el-cheapo tarp from Wal-Mart. Honestly though, I still use the pack it came it 6 years later (more durable material than the tarp) to hold a USB charged battery pack to run my GoPro cameras for time-lapse videos. Crazy how things work out, lol

morganbw, Broke, Winterhorse and 2 others like this.
  35. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Still going Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yes sir you are absolutely right it did break when I needed it !

36. pommie

pommie Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    had the same problem with the redwings, new shoes for work and after a month i thought i was a crippled for life. tried 3 other pair and all did the same. NEVER again will i try the redwing brand.

37. S.Decker

S.Decker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Do ex-wives count??

38. CSM-101

CSM-101 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like them for the waterproof feature, and I like the added size and "grippiness" as I find Bic's to be easy to slip out of a pocket. That band to hold down the gas button is completely worthless however... it's too difficult to pull it over the button and you're just wasting fuel while trying.

As far as gear that I found useless, the CountyComm Peanut lighter. It didn't hold fluid any better than a Zippo, completely dry after three weeks. Garbage.

39. tramp_trade

tramp_trade Wet Woodsman

Blog Posts:
    Schrade SCHF52 - what a useless pile of slag that knife has turned out to be!

I bought it on a whim and I regret spending the money on it. The more I use it, the more senseless it seems. I have relegated it to nothing more than a froe with TPE scales.

The main issue is the grind. It is so thick behind the edge that it almost seems like there is a ridge between the cheeks and the edge. The effect is that no matter how I attack it, this knife will not cut at all. I have the edge pretty dang sharp, but that stupid transition prevents the blade from actually doing anything useful. I'm sure I can save it by doing a regrind, but I'm not willing to chew up my working stones to polish a turd.

I have always preferred a small knife / ax / saw combo, and I should have stayed the course. Oh well.

40. Youcantreadinthedark

Youcantreadinthedark Amphibian. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have blown out 3 of these, all within a few months of use - no visible hole, nothing I could see I did - they all got replaced free, so I'm assuming a sealing issue. I finally just gave up on them.
    I will say BA's customer service was as good as could get - unfortunately, I just kept getting free pads that didn't last long.

I'm tough as hell on gear - if it doesn't last on a job site, I generally don't keep it around, but I must add that Redwings are the only boots out there that last me more than a year or so.

colter, central joe, morganbw and 3 others like this.
  41. MASC1104

MASC1104 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Commonwealth of Virginia - The Mother of States
    I bought several harbor freight magnesium bars for fire starting that were completely worthless. The shavings wouldnt ignite.

42. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The el cheap o magnesium bars are usually magnesium plating over aluminum.

43. Syntria

Syntria Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    BG Knife.

Mostly bad because it was serrated at the base and made it very difficult for me to carve/feather anything and even baton. I found the sharpening stone it came with useless, and the ferro rod too.

44. Saddleburr

Saddleburr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In-laws are elcheapo types. They gave me a gift of a pistol crossbow one year. The father In-law insists I try it out, it broke at the first shot. I tried to save us the awkard moment, but he insisted. When the daughter of elcheapos marries a buy once cry once engineer, eventually you get a top quality bargain hunter for a wife.

45. quietmike

quietmike Hardwoodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
  46. fraserdw

fraserdw Tracker

Blog Posts:

I can confirm this. The kit was useless and soon removed from my Maglite. That being said, I no longer use my Maglite as I moved to a headlamp.

47. remington79

remington79 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had some Redwing logging boots until I wore them out. They were too hard. I put a pair of soft insoles in them and it fixed the problem. After that I could wear them all day.

Broke likes this.
  48. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have no experience with this knife, but I have a partially serrated USMC Ka-Bar and a serrated blade on my Leatherman. Both are different types of serrations but I really like making feathers with them. The hardest part of feathers for fire lighting is getting fine enough stuff for sparks to take. Once you get that out of the way, the feathers don't need to be that nice. Using serrations by dragging them down the wood with the blade at a 90* angle or so like scraping it, makes amazingly fine shavings that take the weakest of ferro rod sparks. Serrations also stay sharp to cut things long after the blade has gotten dull.

I agree about the carving. I generally dislike any included sharpening stones as they are always too coarse for me or are those terrible carbide V sharpeners. I have no experience with the BG knife as I don't own one nor will I ever buy one (maybe for $2 at a garage sale).

Just a general observation about serrations that they do get in the way, but they have their uses.

ManyHammers and Broke like this.
  49. WILL

WILL Guide

Blog Posts:
    Big Agnes sleeping pads. My kids and I went through half a dozen before giving up on them. They leak. A good one may make it through three camping trips.

AR7 rifle. It's fragile, inaccurate and unreliable. All the qualities I don't want my survival rifle to have.

As far as Red Wing boots USA made line, I swear by them. Just get an insole if the bottom is too hard for you. Never owned a better made, longer wearing boot.

ManyHammers and Broke like this.
  50. Cascadian

Cascadian Scout

Blog Posts:
    xray10.gif

A bit disappointing.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018