Geomagnetic Storm threat?

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by 1911srule, Aug 27, 2018.

1. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't know much about this stuff, so please add your knowledge here. I am guessing cell transmissions and satellite will be possibly affected. I always take this stuff with a grain of salt...

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018...ing-crack-opened-earths-magnetic-field-plasma

Doesn't sound that serious...

NOAA:
    .Forecast...
    The geomagnetic field is expected to be at unsettled to G1 (Minor) storm
    levels over day one (27 Aug) as CH HSS effects persist. Quiet to
    unsettled levels are likely over days two and three (28-29 Aug) as more
    subtle CH HSS influence is anticipated.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    central joe and Walking Crow like this.
  2. CSM1970

CSM1970 Guide

Blog Posts:
    We have been having poor cell phone service and delays on our satellite TV for a couple days now. Don’t know about GPS.

3. will62

will62 Guide

Blog Posts:
    It will impact satellite and cell service. As an old Navy HF Comm tech I know it impacts the HF frequencies (2-30Mhz)

4. Ninety0ne

Ninety0ne Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Poleward of 50 degrees latitude isn’t too concerning, might be a small problem on 12-24 otherwise...

5. Walking Crow

Walking Crow Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This particular spike has subsided although there is a bit of a "reverberation" bumping things back up a bit.
    [​IMG]

***edit.. I didn't realize that the chart was going to update as we go along. I will probably delete it in another day as the data displayed by then will be irrelevant to the discussion.

I've been checking this site daily for some time and Ben gives a pretty good rundown on what is going on.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Suspicious0bservers/videos

The terminology may be a bit foreign at first but his original website https://www.suspicious0bservers.org has several videos that start with the basics of what he is discussing and can bring you up to speed.

As far as your grain of salt.... there is a very high correlation between the Kp index hitting 7-9 range and computer and satellite outages (think airlines having to shut down) and electrical outages. Since the high Kp ranges do raise some health concerns for those flying at high altitude, I've wondered if, perhaps the computer "glitches" might be just an excuse to ground the planes and reduce the exposure of passengers and crew members. Probably just a coincidence.

As the earth's magneto sphere continues to weaken, it will take less intense solar flares, coronal mass ejections, coronal hole streams or filament releases to create these intense solar storms. From a preparedness standpoint, these are all good reasons to consider your options for short to long term power and communication interruptions.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  6. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    I figured you HAM operators would know. Something I'd like to learn more about down the road. I grew up playing with shortwave. My Dad had an avionics shop, always had a bench in the house. Sure wish I had the radios he had then. Got two of his Hallicrafters (S-38?)that work well...cool hobby. I always got Heathkits for Christmas...

7. CSM1970

CSM1970 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Weaken? As in Pole Reversal?

Walking Crow likes this.
  8. Greebe

Greebe Non ducor, duco. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The average person on planet Earth will never know a difference. The only people who might, and I say might notice, would be people using radio frequencies that 99% of people are not using.

We have geomagnetic storms regularly, but every time one happens people freak out like it is the first time it has occurred, and that it will wreak havoc on Earth and its inhabitants. Nope never does for the average person. :D:dblthumb:

My advice is don't worry about all these scare tactics people use to get traffic to their websites. Just live the day and know it will be OK, and if it isn't, well there is nothing you can do anyways. :D;)

Something to be more concerned about which no one is talking about right now, is how we are entering into a Grand Solar Minimum, which with its reduced sun spots and solar activity, we will see cooler temps and erratic changes in weather. Some will say it is climate change caused by humans, but indeed this change will be caused by nature and our volatile star we call the Sun.

Last time one occurred was the Maunder Minimum which created arctic weather across many areas of the world that people dubbed the "mini ice age". During some recent Astrophysics classes I took at the university, we learned about this and studied data from NASA to support a 50-70 year grand solar minimum that we are entering. This is not the same as the regular cyclical 11 year solar minimum we see. However, if you look far enough out into history and the grand minimum is cyclical as well. As they say nothing is new under the sun. Humans just have short memories and think things are new since we have such a limited view on how the Earth operates. Our lifetime is but a millisecond in the Earths lifetime.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  9. Ninety0ne

Ninety0ne Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well said

Greebe and ColterCarsonAshley like this.
  10. dirt7

dirt7 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have my foil helmet ready!

11. Walking Crow

Walking Crow Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Maybe. There are several things going on now. The earth's magnetic field fluctuates. The current reduction in strength may or may not be associated with a reversal of the magnetic poles. The movement of those magnetic poles toward each other, which has been occurring for several years now is probably a better indicator that a reversal is coming. Pervious reversals were long before our recorded history so all we have to go on is interpretation of geological records and the observance of the sun's reversal with each solar cycle, historically 11 years but lengthening a bit as the sun undergoes its own "quieting". The weakening coupled with the poles moving suggest that a reversal is in progress. I understand some scientists feel that the process could stop and the poles return to their normal "wander" pattern so that a reversal is not inevitable.

The grand solar minimum that @Greebe mentions above is seemingly unrelated to a potential magnetic pole reversal/magnetosphere weakening. The one thing that the two do have in common however, is that both will allow an increase in the number of cosmic rays that reach the earth's atmosphere and surface. It is believed that this will (and may already be having some effect) increase cloud cover and intensify hail formation among other things. It is also possible that those that enter the earth will have an energizing effect on magma which could result in increased volcanic activity. In both the Maunder Minimum (about 400 years ago) and the lesser Dalton Minimum (about 200 years ago) there was an uptick in volcanic activity both going into and coming out of the minimum period. Anyone see any volcano news increase in the last few years?

BTW, there is sometimes a misunderstanding about a magnetic pole reversal or as it is sometimes popularized, a "pole flip." The earth is not going to flip over. The magnetic poles of the earth will reverse, just as they do regularly on the sun. Once the geographic location of those poles reestablishes, your compass (probably not in your hand, but possibly in your child's or grandchild's) the arrow will point to somewhere in the southern hemisphere.

12. Luzster

Luzster Of course your opinion matters, just not to me... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Solar flares also affected our climate way more than fossil fuel emissions as well.

13. Rare Steel

Rare Steel Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Again,Well said.

Winterhorse and Greebe like this.
  14. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    Interesting info here. We got some smart people on this forum. I always try to hang out with smarter people than I, hoping it'll rub off...

CPRPE, Walking Crow and blind & lost like this.
  15. jasam

jasam Scout

Blog Posts:
    Agreed and well spoken sir

Walking Crow likes this.