Gerber Freescape saw versus a cheap folding saw

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by MarkusFlash, Apr 19, 2017.

1. MarkusFlash

MarkusFlash Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hi folks,

I am using the Gerber Freescape for two months now. Since the price on the Freescape is more than on simple folding saws the question might arise if and for what purpose it really pays off to acquire a Gerber Freescape.

My approach at an answer can be found in the following YT video:

DomC, Winterhorse and NJHeart2Heart like this.
  2. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have in the past been favored toward the bow saw for most things n the woods , however I found a poll saw that I made a handle for that is quite effective and provides more blade toward work than the traditional bow saw.
    Being significantly longer than most folding saws and a smidge thicker allowing for it's length 18" or so , it has a curve/arch that naturally helps the cutting process.
    I made a walking staff that accommodates this saw ,as well as some other tools.

3. teotwaki

teotwaki Scout

Blog Posts:
    So was it good at backscratching? ;)

So what about other pros and cons?

For instance, the frame of any saw similar to the Gerber will limit your cuts to certain sizes of woods. A small folding saw has its own limits set by the length and rigidity of its blade.

A Gerber Freescape is about 15 ounces as opposed to the Bahco Laplander's svelte 7 ounces.

In your sawing demo you had that log in an awkward hold on your knee. I'd like to see the log better and more safely positioned on other logs even though I think that the rigidity of the Gerber's frame would still make for less effort than a folder.

Thanks for sharing the video!

Winterhorse and MarkusFlash like this.
  4. MarkusFlash

MarkusFlash Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thx for you input. I made the point in the video that the Freescape offers way better efficiency in the context of a more established/permanent campside while the standard folder is much more versatile if you find yourself stuck in the greenery. If you hike long distances and if you are limited on weight you should go with a light folder. I will definitley look into folders of good quality and I'm open for any suggestions. I'm curious if a real good folder can beat the Freescape in sheer cutting power.

Winterhorse likes this.
  5. teotwaki

teotwaki Scout

Blog Posts:
    I feel that my Bahco folder won't beat my framed saw's cutting "power", as good as the folder is. It does cut very well.

[​IMG]

I recently cut a fair amount of wood with my Bowhack saw which is similar in style to the Freescape

[​IMG]
    http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2017/04/a-2017-desert-renewal.html
    [​IMG]

Out of the three tools I kept going back to the saw for the clean cuts and least amount of waste.

MarkusFlash likes this.
  6. MarkusFlash

MarkusFlash Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Bahco Laplander looks good, for my next purchase I have to decide between the Laplander and the Silky. Thank you for the pictures!

DomC likes this.
  7. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing. Commented on your video.

MarkusFlash likes this.
  8. teotwaki

teotwaki Scout

Blog Posts:
    For the Bahco I found that US military surplus pouches for pop flares make a nice carrying case if you want to hang the saw on the outside of a pack. The saw itself does not need protection from very much as it is fairly rugged..

[​IMG]

NWPrimate and MarkusFlash like this.
  9. MarkusFlash

MarkusFlash Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That is a neat idea! I have to clear the internal space of my backpack anyways, the saw could be strapped to the molle system instead.

10. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a solid saw

DomC likes this.
  11. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    I also.carry a 12" bow saw at times .
    This part is for the OP ; Most times my 10" Corona Razor Tooth fits my needs just fine . It's lot more aggressive than my Bahco for sure . I like the handle design a lot more . And the 10" blade is more than adequate , sure I might at some point need to attack a piece at different angles , but a longer blade wouldn't pose much of a problem for that either . And as for blade flex take your time , i learned that the hard way as well . Let the saw do the work ! Biggest pro's I can walk in the store pick up my 10" Corona cheaper than ordering a shorter Bahco . That 12" bow saws worth to me is in the fact that I can get blades for every need to fit it . Bone , metal and wood etc. . Multi use for sure .

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    MrFixIt and JasonJ like this.
  12. JasonJ

JasonJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    I LOVE my 10" corona saw.. and replacement blades, when the time comes, are affordable as well. Less than $10 at the Lowe's near me. It cuts so much faster than the Bahco. It's only marginally less nice than a Silky, who clearly win in the fit and finish dept.

OP, marked your vid to watch later... office staff gets cranky about me watching YouTube at work! Thanks for the share!

MrFixIt likes this.
  13. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes it does cut faster, even my 7" cuts faster than my Bahco . I've heard a couple of comments about getting the cut started due to the coarser teeth but once started It just chews wood . And again it's of the shelf , huge plus for me !

MrFixIt likes this.
  14. teotwaki

teotwaki Scout

Blog Posts:
    are you talking about this Corona saw?

[​IMG]

JasonJ likes this.
  15. JasonJ

JasonJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    YES.

16. teotwaki