Getting in shape for the woods

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Poeschel, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Poeschel

Poeschel Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I need help.....I have a one year old and a four year old. Ever since our first, my eating habits have gone down hill and I'm gettin really out of shape. My wife and I both work a lot so dinners are usually something we make in a hurry. I do pack a lunch but usually find myself hungry again by afternoon. I gotta do something to better myself but I need some advice how. I'm 34, work a physical job but feel tired and blah when I get home. I need the energy for my kids to get them outside more. Any advice? Thanks.

2. Forestree

Forestree Guide Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Maybe grow a garden? Fun, exercise and fresh healthy food :1:

gila_dog, Mitch Ray, Scrubs and 6 others like this.
  3. Hiwa

Hiwa Guide

Blog Posts:
    This could be a long post , but I'll keep it short. Cut WAY down on sugar and processed foods for a start. Quick meals are ok , but try to keep them healthy with lots of veggies and smaller meat portions. NO POP also...lots of water instead. Lots.
    Keep the fast food places to once a month if you can ,preferably not at all. Keep meals simple and prep them on Sunday for the work week. Kids are hard to keep up with. I'm 53 with a 13 yr.old son, so I know.

4. FIELDCRAFTLTC

FIELDCRAFTLTC Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    +1 what @Hiwa said. In addition, minimize the carbs in your diet, except those you get from leafy green and cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, red and green cabbage, green beans). Turkey, Fish, Chicken, and Grass-Fed lean beef.

Also, I would recommend you get a blood test. Have your MD test your testosterone levels and your thyroid function. A low thyroid level (hypothyroid) can cause the same symptoms you are describing - I know from experience.

Cheers!

5. Jasonacraft

Jasonacraft Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Stay at home dad here, 34, kids 4, 2, & 6 months. I know exactly where you're standing and what it feels like. The biggest things to remember at this point is that 1. Results won't happen quickly. You must be patient and chip away at everything, everyday. Today's decisions are tomorrow's consequences, for better or worse. 2. Don't go it alone. Find a support structure that encourages eating healthy and living more actively. I strongly reccomend 'nerd fitness'. Look em up and read what he's got to say. The nerd stuff isn't everyone's cup of tea sure...but in his program the first steps are all about getting your mental game down tight for the long haul. For me, that made all the difference in my training and approach to eating.

Good luck! Let me know how I can encourage you

6. Angus McGunnigl

Angus McGunnigl Guide

Blog Posts:
    Lots of good advice here so far. Stretching regimen may be called for also. After numerous injuries over the years and some outright abuse, I find daily stretches are what helps me.
    Also hydration. The afternoon slump can often be hydration.

7. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    A lot of good advice in this tread already.

Instead of trying to get in shape for the outdoors why not try getting in shape in the outdoors? I'm another in the same boat. 30 with 2 kids, full time job and part time at school. A few years back just after recovering from a bad ankle sprain I went on a car camping trip with a friend. As part of the trip I did the first true hike I had done in years. It kicked my butt and I loved every minute of it. Not long after I took my oldest son back to the area and did an overnight backpacking trip and I haven't looked back since.

In the meantime my wife was diagnosed as prediabetic. We have changed the way we eat for the most part. I can tell you once you start eating healthier your body doesn't want to go back. She's lost weight and gained energy, and we both noticed that when eating healthier we don't sweat as much as we used to and the heat doesn't bother us. I've even managed to get her out on the trails with me and I think she is hooked. Point is don't wait to get outdoors, do it now, it only gets easier with each trip or hike ;-)

8. Dillon Luke

Dillon Luke Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I am currently at a turning point myself with my weight. For the most part of my day I have to spend behind a desk with very little physical labor at my job. I am trying to start eating better and incorporating a little exercise into my day. As for my weekends I try to get out and do a little hiking or canoeing when possible. Maybe this thread will help motivate me to get in shape for the fall when I plan to spend some time backpacking and hunting.

9. Poeschel

Poeschel Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I'm working on changing my diet but I need to find a more affordable way of doing it. I was shocked at how expensive eating healthy can be. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted on my results.

10. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    In a similar situation myself... except my youngest is 20. Having to buy "bigger" clothes was the last straw. I also sit behind desk all day, wishing I didn't, but there's something to be said about having a job and insurance... I joined a fitness club within 3-4 minutes drive from work for just over $10 a month. I have only been going for 3 days, but have seen an increase in alertness at work, a decrease in hunger and increase in motivation.
    Recognizing the need is one thing. Making myself do something about it was quite another thing. Just knowing I am taking the initiative to make change is motivating for me. Hope you find a solution that works for you!

11. Hoof

Hoof Former Genius Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Allow yourself to get hungry, and I mean to the point of hunger pangs. Most people don't know that feeling, you will find that a small amount of food will relieve the sensation. I very quickly got to the point where I didn't want to eat until hunger forced me to, then I ate something just to make it go away. And definitely drink plenty of water, all day long, it's the best advice on this thread. I went from 250 lbs. to 190 lbs. in a little over a year or so. And treat yourself to a fine meal twice a week, you won't feel guilty for that at all.

12. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    For eating healthier you can always give gardening a go. A raised garden box is fairly little work once it's planted. Some other options are looking into local farmers markets, produce co-ops, and fresh produce delivery services. We do a combination of all of these and end up with very fresh organic produce for a very reasonable price. It's more spendy than the meals my wife can put together using coupons but cheaper than eating takeout, and it's worth finding the extra budget.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Eating healthy is something everyone should strive for; but as important (probably more important) is exercise- ultimately a mix of aerobic exercise with some strength training thrown in for good measure. It's much easier to maintain a healthy weight if you're getting a lot of exercise

I find it's a lot more fun if you can make the outdoors your "gym"- walking, backpacking, trail running, snowshoeing, mtn biking- whatever floats your boat. It doesn't take a lot of time either, 30-40 minutes, three or four times a week can make a huge difference

your energy level will be higher, your mental state better, your weight will moderate and you'll enjoy better overall health PLUS you'll be spending more time outdoors- something we all strive for

yes- eat healthy, but keep moving too!

14. sonnyDdog

sonnyDdog Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I knew you were canadian because you said "pop" lol I think the yankees on here call it soda :42:

15. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael

Blog Posts:
    Don't be so sure - born and raised in the US and had never heard someone ask for a soda until I joined the military. In WV, everybody says pop. We also like coleslaw on our hotdogs which everybody in other states thinks is crazy lol

16. Towander

Towander Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was the same age as you and at 35 my boy was 5 and I started coaching the sports he played. T-ball,soccer,basketball. 10 1/2 months straight with those three for many years kept me in better shape than most and it was lots of fun. I'm 50 now and my son is off to college and I have the same old problem. I was kinda thinking about coaching soccer again!

GreySwampFox and bacpacjac like this.
  17. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Rattlesnake Charmer. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Cut out the bad foods and drinks. No chips and soda. Raise your heart rate at least 40 minutes a day. Hike or jog even if it's on the road. That will dump the blah feelings. I am going to do a 5 mile trail run late afternoon. Will feel better after, always do.

18. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    Here is another thread you can read about this very same subject. Might help
    Share Your Diet Plan

19. Yevoc1

Yevoc1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The worst thing you can do is starve yourself! Your body will start storing fat and eating the good meat. Eat small amounts, low carbs, high protein, lean meats, etc... throughout the day to keep your metabolism going. Start out with just taking a half hour brisk walk and work your way up. HIIT (high intensity interval training) is where it's at! YouTube is your friend when it comes to finding good HIIT exercises for beginners or advanced.
    Good Luck!

20. JayT.

JayT. Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Poeschel, I'm 37 with two young kids. I will let you do your own research on it because I don't want to sound like a commercial, but two years ago I did a 30-day cleanse/diet called Isagenix. I actually did it back to back (60 days) and in those 60 days I lost 46 pounds I kid you not. I'd show you my before and after pics if I wasn't so embarrassed about my "before" photo lol. Really though, Isagenix was a life-changer for me. It not only got me super healthy and in shape (still gotta exercise) but that "blah" feeling I had almost every day while driving home from work was completely gone. If you find yourself interested in possibly doing this then please don't hesitate to contact me for any questions or help that you may need. Good luck and God Bless.

bacpacjac and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  21. bigjerm

bigjerm Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Congrats on seeing the problem and wanting to change it. As you have already mentioned, diet is the biggest part. The old saying, a 6 pack is made in the kitchen, is so true. You can workout hard 6 days a week but if you eat crap, you will still never get your full benefits. As far as eating healthy, veggies, nuts and beans are the cheaper go to options. Skip all the dry roasted, sugar coated, nuts out there! The idea here is to eat food closer to raw form. Meat does suck to buy but bulk will help. Ground beef is cheaper and for chicken get thighs, not breast, for considerable savings. Meal prep is your way to go. As far as the carbs your body needs, sweet potatoes and rice are the staple.

When it comes to working out I have found for my body 3 full body workouts 3 days a week really does it. Everything is a superset (doing 2 exercises back to back i.e. A set of bench press followed by a set of Lat pull downs, small rest and repeat) and the intensity is high. I mix Up the exercises constantly and some days I focus more on lower or upper. The key is doing the compound movements that involve multiple muscle groups for 1 lift. Very rarely do I do area specific exercises like curls. My rest days are still active days, just around the house and if nothing else, I'll go for a short jog or do some abs. If you don't want to join a gym then don't discount push-ups, pull ups, air squats, lunges, burpees, ect. Make a circuit out of it and you will be hurting!

It's not always going to be easy but it's worth it. I went from a high school athlete to 295 lbs barely able to walk up a few sets of stairs at a desk job back now to 235ish at 30 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. sierra-trekker

sierra-trekker Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Exactly what Hiwa and FIELDCRAFTLTC said! I cut out all refined sugars, most grains, milk and cheese for about two months and lost about 15-20 pounds and I didn't have to quit drinking beer!!! Since then I continued without sugar and, when I do eat grains, milk and cheese, it's in small amounts. Veg, fruit, nuts and any meat I can get my hands on. I found out that, to me, food is fuel. I don't really get caught up in food for pleasure and since starting this my energy level has gone up. At the beginning of this change I had to eat constantly, but as time goes on that fades away. I still eat quite a bit of food daily, but its healthy. I too work a physically demanding job in high heat during the summer, it's supposed to be about 106 degrees today, so I burn through calories quickly. On top of all that, working out after or before work would greatly help too. If I were you, I would start with diet, then move on to adding exercise. By the way, I will be 39 in July. Good luck and stick to it, you'll feel better and live longer.

23. thisdude

thisdude Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Drink more water. During my junior school year not playing any sports I was drinking a gallon a day. When I ran it was 1.5 working outdoors and running it was two. Watch your water intake start at one. Yes you'll pee a lot the first two weeks but it gets better. Physical job you likely don't drink enough water and need more protein. Drink atleast 8 ounces of water before each meal and after, along with 8 right before bed. Drink some anytime you feel hungry. It'll make you look fatter but you should have more energy. Try doing a protein shake for a meal. Mine is normally, break banana in half put both halves in blender cup. Kinda eyeball milk amount. Add serving protein powder chocolate or vanilla. Add few spoons of peanut butter to taste. If using vanilla you might add some ground cinnamon but don't let it sit drink after blending and this should work as a meal if not eat an apple as well. Start exercising before dinner. If hungry between dinner and bed eat carrots or other veggie. The exercise should aid in sleeping to give more energy. Just start slow with squats jumping jacks and push-ups. Maybe some jogs or speed walks with the kids. You sound dehydrated I know because when I am I eat a meal and a half for lunch. Great lunch idea. Make a good salad. Y'know some lettuce and other veggies and a turkey sandwich on wheat bread. Afternoon snack if needed should be protein in preparation for exercise something like graham crackers with peanut butter. Don't dive right in that's how diets fail. Start by changing one meal at a time. Remember don't eat because it's what was said. If you feel hungrier eat another piece of fruit. Too full don't keep eating. Diets fail because people go 4 days dieting then realize they didn't eat enough and binge day five. Get to the point where you can run 2 miles in the morning two at night 4 days in a row and you'll be golden even if you don't look in that shape. I'm "obese" and finished a half marathon and am very healthy but don't eat right or I would look it so diet will help get started but if your goal is in shape diet a while exercise then just exercise. If goal is the perfect body you need diet and exercise all the time. I'm 20 pounds overweight and eat the same way people with extremely high cholesterol do but have a resting heart rate of 47 and a good cholesterol level because of exercise but if I dieted the exercise would do better for my weight. Sorry this is so long. Learn to measure heart rate 5 minutes after you wake up before getting out of bed is optimal or for me it is. Don't every day though. Measure Sunday and Wednesday keep a log. That's how I know when I'm having allergy problems vs bad sleep I'll feel the same but bad sleep my heart rate is higher than normal allergy problems isn't. Biggest thing with exercise is doing 20 and stopping is better than 30 and getting injured listen to your body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Park Swan, bacpacjac, Kynoch and 3 others like this.
  24. mountainman11b

mountainman11b Scout Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I didn't read everyone's comments bit I have a solution for that lunch time issue

Keep your water intake up. Drink plenty of it, try dri king a glass of water before you eat too

I've always heard that being thirsty is easily mistaked for hunger. I thought it was a load of BS until I tried the above

25. Megalos

Megalos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Something that might help (sorry if it's been mentioned) is to cook up large batches of food all at once on a weekend and then freeze them into portions to use during the week. All you have to do is heat them up so you wont have the excuse of "not having time" to make something decent.

Like these....Batch cooking

26. WildMedGuru

WildMedGuru Scout

Blog Posts:
    These may be some "very simple" changes that may help

I would look at what you eat and evaluate....

Too much Sugar? / Excessive Carbs? / Caffeine? - all lead to crash and burn
    Fresh anything - always better
    Eating a lot before bed?
    Snacking?
    Oversized proportions?

27. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Blah, blah, blah, blah. Stop eating refined sugar and regular flour. Lower carb intake but don't cut them out. Eat more fresh veggies, lots and lots of them. Get more exercise outdoors. There was a study that showed exercise outdoors was more effective. Eat leaner meat. Pay attention to calorie intake... Calories turn to fat. I'm in the same situation. It is difficult to do when working 55 hours in 5 days so I am aware how hard it is to do this. Whole wheat for breads and pastas fill you up with less eaten. Eat slowly... Very slowly. You will eat less just doing that. Blah blah blah..

28. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm surprised that you think eating healthy is more expensive. Basic food like veggies, fruit, eggs, beans, meat, etc, that you have to do a little work to turn into supper is a lot cheaper than processed foods. I think it's the processed foods that are expensive, when you look at cost per serving. My wife became an expert with a crock pot, making a whole week's worth of meals on a weekend afternoon using her crock pots. The food was excellent, we took it to work in our lunches, ate it for supper, etc. The other people at work, taking turns at the microwave warming up their TV dinners (tasteless, nutritionless, glop), were very envious of my homemade lunches.
    I used to be an engineer, which was a stressful job at times that required a lot of time in front of a computer. Stress and lack of exercise was making me fat, weak, and low energy. But going to a gym just made my day longer, and I really hate just exercising on a machine or doing some kind of miserable workout with no real purpose. I was able to start riding my bike part of the way to work and that really helped. It helped me get to work, and gave me a good workout too. And then we started hiking on weekends with the dog and other friends. That was a big help too. Cutting firewood, gardening, etc, also helped a lot. For me doing things that need done anyway (getting to work, keeping the wife and dog fit, keeping the firewood pile supplied, etc) was the best way to get my exercise. I still do all that stuff, but I'm retired now so the stress is gone and staying healthy is even easier. My wife still likes to cook good healthy food for us and that helps a lot too.

29. Red Wing

Red Wing Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Im about the same as you. Semi physical job, mostly lots of walking. Still very out of shape compared to what i was. Have a 1 year old. I recently did 2 things that changed my health and healthy feeling overall.

Cooking more. Just grin and bare it, but i try to buy food conducive to quick or easy or both.

Most importantly, i started running consistantly. Every other day no matter what even when i dont want to. My endurance has exploded not to mention my wife ccommenting at me ;)

Run run run though. Look at military people, all look young for their age. Running.

30. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    “Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up, it knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're the lion or a gazelle-when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.”

:4:

31. Swarvegorilla

Swarvegorilla Guide

Blog Posts:
    Been talking about this a lot lately.

The single biggest thing you can do imho is to get some fibre in your diet every single day.

Feed the fibre eating microbes and they will keep you healthy.

As to being strong for camping. I now have a 10kg sand filled weight vest. Just wearing it around is all the training i need.

32. CuriousLearner

CuriousLearner Nemophilist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Split some logs every night. I just started doing this. I do about five a night, and it kills all of my muscles.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

33. caoutdoorsman

caoutdoorsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    -Eat less
    -Exercise more
    -Eat more fruits and vegetables
    -Don't drink alcohol or smoke
    -Sleep more

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  34. crewhead05

crewhead05 caffeine, nicotine, knives and nature. Lifetime Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So there are a million discussions you can find on the internet about health and fitness. Ill just put in my 2 cents about fitness, specifically about fitness for those who may be a little older, a little broke, and/or overweight.

The recipe is simple. Each day (or 5 days a week, or less depending how you feel) train for 20-30 mins within your MAF heartrate zone. (MAF zone = maximum aerobic function zone. )

The simple way to find your MAF zone is take 180- your age.

a) If you have or are recovering from a major illness (heart disease, any operation or hospital stay, etc.) or are on any regular medication, subtract an additional 10.

b) If you are injured, have regressed in training or competition, get more than two colds or bouts of flu per year, have allergies or asthma, or if you have been inconsistent or are just getting back into training, subtract an additional 5.

c) If you have been training consistently (at least four times weekly) for up to two years without any of the problems just mentioned, keep the number (180–age) the same

d) If you have been training for more than two years without any of the problems listed above, and have made progress in competition without injury, add 5.

Obviously you will need a HR monitor. You can do any activity to get into your MAF and keep the HR there. Run, ruck, bike, walk, swim. etc.

That is it. Get into your MAF zone often and stay there for a half hour or more depending on how you feel. Add big lift resistance training if you like (bench, squat, deadlift, military press) a few times a week.

By training within your MAF zone you avoid over training and injuries. Your progression will be through your MAF fitness. As you get in better shape you will have to go faster, or carry more weight, to stay within your MAF zone.

35. HP500

HP500 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Start with a good breakfast. I used to eat cereal every morning, but I noticed a huge increase in my energy level when I switched to green smoothies. I blend the following:

1 cup of spinach or kale
    1 pouch of protein powder
    1 tbs cacao powder
    3 tbs flaxseed
    1 tbs Chia seeds
    1 cup frozen blueberries
    Enough water to get the consistency you want.

I use a Ninja Professional blender, but I'm sure any kind would work well enough.

bacpacjac, Kynoch, Redwalker and 3 others like this.
  36. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    Back pack trail ran 6 miles yesterday. Going for a trail run again right now.That's how it's done. You do it over and over again!

bacpacjac, Timex, shotgunpapa and 2 others like this.
  37. basher1981

basher1981 Adventure is out there!!! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am in the almsot the EXACT smae boat.... 4 yr and 10mos sons. We are moving to boot and i work a desk job. What I have been doing is cutting out sugar and eating more whole foods. We make an egg bake on Sunday that gets us through most of the week for breakfast, lunches are now salads with protein in them (leftover chicken or steak from last nights dinner) piece of fruit and a natural type granola bar ( no heavily processed stuff ) like a larabar, and for dinner we may do a large stir fry one night and have leftover the next, or bake extra chicken and have leftover the next night with steamed veggies. Finding time for me to work out is a challeenge so normally my workour is going outside and acting liek a maniac with my 4 yr old climbing trees, playing tag, carrying the youngest on my shoulders, etc... And to think pre kids I thought I never had time to do anythng lol

Edit: Also I got this https://www.amazon.com/WOSS-Cobra-S...-spons&keywords=woss+suspension+trainer&psc=1 Its a generic TRX knockoff and actually REALLY high quality. I have been using this off and on for quick 15-20 minute workouts on the weekend while the boys nap. Ive actually even taken it to the playground once and used it on a tree. I looked like a nutjob but hey my oldest is busy having fun and my youngest just has fun walking around the tree i was connected to while working out.

38. wiseforethought

wiseforethought Tracker

Blog Posts:
    lots of good stuff so far, I am now 41 and woke up at 35 to much the same place. I have 4 kids, my father passed before he saw any of them, I have decided I want to see my grand kids. Tried lots of different stuff, this is what has worked for me:
    Food
    1. black coffee and water (to go to black coffee takes two weeks of dedication, drink only black coffee and at the end you will prefer it), never soda or much of anything else.
    2. Carb wise, measure to begin with so you know what a serving is. 30 g of carb at breakfast, 15 between, 30 at lunch 15 between 30 at dinner and 15-30 before bed. (15g of carb is 1 serving)
    3. ALWAYS eat 6+ g (1 serving) of protein with carbs, it will cause the time your body breaks down the carbs to increase by as much as 6X. you will feel fuller longer.
    4. eat as many veggies (not even worrying about the carbs from them) as you want.
    5. protein, this is tricky as I have began seriously increasing this as of late due to the exercise (see below) anywhere from 100-200 g/day.
    6. Try to cut all transfats, reduce saturated fat, and eat mono/poly unsaturated fat. easy does it with fat.
    Exercise
    Cardio: if your serious this should be done 3-4 times a week. mix it up. I don't do this as much as I should, but for me the most effective is HIIT (high intensity interval training) 30 sec as hard as you can go, 30 nice and easy. you can do a lot in 10 min.

Strength: I committed to 3x a week with a beginning liner program like starting strength. I have now been doing this for a bit more than a year and I am leaner than I have ever been in my life. I went about 5 months on a linear program, now I do a GZCL type workout (google it). But basically I Squat, Dead, Bench and Over Head Press. I injured my wrist or I would also barbel row. Squat is the best thing for you, it will strengthen your core and stimulate Human Growth Hormone and Testosterone.

Once I started serious strength with some cardio I saw amazing differences, I care less about weight and more about %body fat.
    Good luck!

39. Patriot Bushcraft

Patriot Bushcraft The Environmentalist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Great on you wanting to get back in shape. One suggestion is to take some small walk starting of right after dinner, this will help your digestion and also gI've you some time with the wife and kids. You can start with short walks and then on the weekends you can go to a local park or state or national park and take the family for a walk and you can carry your kit on your back. This will start not only weight loss but start conditioning you for trecks in the bush. Good luck.

40. Badey

Badey Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Here's what I'm going to say, it might not sound flowery, but it is the truth.

I am a formerly fat and lazy man. My weight swung wildly anywhere between 170 and 200 lbs for many years. Now I have have been between 160 and 165 lbs for the past 3 years.

1. Eat a little less - there are apps that can pretty accurately track your base metabolic rate (how many calories you need), and ones that can help you easily track how much you eat (like myfitnesspal). figure out how much you are eating, and cut back to what you should be eating.

2. Exercise - I have two kids, a full-time job, bushcrafting hobbies, church responsibilities, etc. I have to make exercise a priority. If you have to get up earlier to do it, then get up earlier. If you have to go to bed a little later to do it, then go to bed a little later.

3. Be consistent in doing numers 1-2. It isn't going to do you any good to eat a less for one day a week, or for one week a month, or for one month a year. Same with exercise.

4. Be patient - change takes time. It took me between 3-4 months to get from about 190 (my weight when I started to get serious about getting fit) to about 160. There were times when I felt like giving up - when you feel like that, don't give up.

5. Get back on the wagon when you fall off - you're going to skip a day, or pig out - when you do, give yourself a good tongue lashing, then get back with the program.

6. Track your progress - take a picture of yourself every week - the scale might not show change every week, but the camera will.

IMO, everyone generally knows what they need to do to get in shape - they just lack the will power to actually do it (that was my case for many years). Losing weight is a calories game - consistently eat fewer calories that you consume. Everyone can give suggestions until they are blue in the face, but unless they are put into practice, it won't help.

Ultimately, make the decision to change, then do it. It is that simple - that doesn't mean its easy, but it is simple.

41. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    That's exactly my finding too. Yes I try to eat healthy, take vitamins and other healthy endeavors, but getting regular exercise trumps everything imo.

42. wiseforethought

wiseforethought Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Badey is *Very* right to say, you must make it a priority. You must get back on if you fall off. You must be patient... it likely took you years to get where you are, it will take time to get healthier.

For me I think about my father, a great 300+lb guy who never saw his grand kids, due to things that come with 300+lbs. You get to be heavy by not paying attention and not being serious. When I need motivation I think about grand kids, I have a while I hope as my kids are 13, 11, 9 and 6.

43. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    I was a 300 lb guy. Got the disturbingly fat photos if anyone wants to see. Eating right is key but here is how it's done in da woods. Just fresh of the trail sorry for the cell phone pics though I am surprised how much better these phones are getting. I ran, not jogged 9.25 miles on trail. Full out holding nothing back.

The pack.

[​IMG]

The trail.

[​IMG]

The proof.

[​IMG]

Next overall effect on me. Zero. Ok I was breathing hard as going all out but dang, not too long ago couldn't hardly walk. Really it wasn't so hard. Believe me. I am a lazy goober so you gays and gals here could probably do better. I might just do a short night hike just for kicks later cuz somehow feel unsatisfied.

44. feellnfroggy

feellnfroggy Guide

Blog Posts:
    The thought process is backwards. You don't get in shape for the woods. The woods get you in shape. Just get up and start going out. Food wise, get rid of all the high fructose corn syrup foods, start reading healthier. But your will power and motivation usually arent there. You just have to get up and find it. Which is way harder practiced than preached. It's a decision making process and it starts with one decision. Ask me how I know. Being a vet and most vets here will tell you, or very easy to find reasons not to change. We only need to find one reason to change. You have 3.

Timex, trailhermit, bacpacjac and 3 others like this.
  45. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    And I wan't content with that fast run this afternoon. Took the family to 5 Guys overly expensive burger and fries but didn't eat that stuff myself. Had some cheese and tuna with salad later. Took every opportunity to walk as possible. Parked away from the stores, walked around the supermarket extra times and yes..... I got that night hike in.

[​IMG]

The total results for today. Just over 15 miles all of which was done during a normal day's activities. Two or so hours late afternoon which could have been spend relaxing, during the days work etc and finally 10-11 pm. It would have been so easy to say there was no time but there was.

[​IMG]

46. bodhran4me

bodhran4me Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have found it is easier to make healthful food choices the more exercise I do. I do the mental math and ask "Is that (fill in the blank) really worth worth an extra (fill in the blank) in the gym?

47. SilverFox

SilverFox Scout

Blog Posts:
    A couple of suggestions:
    1) Drink water- I carry a 32 oz water bottle everywhere and sip on it through out the day. If you take a sip of coffee, take one of water. You will be amazed at how much water you can get in this way.
    2) A glass of water with lemon juice(enough juice to make the water cloudy) 1st thing when you get up. It takes a little getting use to. Google it or check out this link,
    11 Benefits of Lemon Water You Didn't Know About
    3) Try and get as much whole grain and fresh food as possible. Beware of multi-grain, its not as healthy because multi-grain means all kinds of "stuff" that's not really good for you is used.

Exercise can come in many forms.
    1) I would look for an app if you have a smart phone that counts your daily steps. Once you get an average try to increase it everyday.
    2) Park as far away from the door at the mall/grocery store etc as possible.
    3) Get into a routine of stretches and calisthenics that you can do in about 10mins everyday. Once you make this a habit it will be easier to do more exercise.

48. chinookpilot77

chinookpilot77 Scout

Blog Posts:
    My fiance and I are both "retired" body builders. If you PM your email address I can send you a 19 or so page nutritional write-up I did for people in your situation. I got tired of explaining it a million times, so if you want to read it, just let me know.

49. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    Believe me, I know all about feeling "blah". I've lived that, big time, for a long time. You might want to look into "candida overgrowth". Basically too much fungus in your stomach. It will make you feel HORRIBLE and just not want to move. Doctors probably won't even acknowledge the possibility. If you find yourself prone to external fungal infections, that's a good sign you've got it and need to knock it out. As others have said, cut down sugar (which I seriously need to do again!), not only because it ain't great for you in excess, but that's what the candida feeds off of. Also look into thyroid problems and B12 deficiency. These three things seem to run together like a bad street gang, and the symptoms are often the same. Coconut oil and cinnamon and a few other things have helped me feel much better (though I can't prove it, I'm going with that).

Otherwise, personally, I think exercise is more important than diet. And by "exercise", I mean work, rather than "working out". Physical labor, all day, every day (I know, it's not something many people can easily decide to do today) will get you in much better shape for hiking, climbing, packing, lifting, building, chopping, and all the other stuff we like to do out in the woods than will repetitive weight lifting or other similar "workouts". Besides, I will be glad to work and actually accomplish a task, but I will NEVER "work out". You couldn't put a gun to my head and make me lift one weight, or climb one stair. Load a truck with 80lb sacks of concrete, I'm there. Curls and bench presses? forget it.

I still work, physically, but not as much as I used to. Several years ago, I worked in a lumberyard, where I was lifting, packing, stacking, pushing, pulling, carrying, loading, unloading, etc all day, every day, plus I had decided to eat less (not really much differently, other than cutting out soft drinks... which I need to do again!!!) and I got into the BEST shape of my life. I felt good, I could do whatever I wanted without wheezing or my heart pounding, and could do it as long as I wanted. I got down from my heaviest of over 260 pounds down to about 225. I am tall and huge, with a thick barrel chest and there's no way I could ever be the recommended 189 pounds without cutting off a leg... 225 is good enough! Got up to about 255 again recently, but I'm about 243 now, and I am going down slowly. I'll never get 225 again, probably (it was really hard to get that last 10 pounds or so before) but I'd be really happy with 230-something.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    Timex and bacpacjac like this.
  50. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    Guess who is just back from a 6 mile night trail run. As other people sleep snug in their beds the Walker is out in the woods. Total today between walking and jogging 11.5 miles. I was able to squeeze that in between work. There is always time if you make it.

oh snap. A total of 36.99 miles in 3 days. All squeeze in around other responsibilities.