Getting Started in Archery

Discussion in 'Archery' started by BradGad, Sep 10, 2019.

1. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I took a day-long class about four weeks ago and really got bitten by the archery bug. It’s been a while since I was this excited about a new endeavor.

I am really lucky I think: my mentor is both a former world champion in long bow and a gifted teacher.

I have been using a PSE youth bow that I got for my boys a couple years ago — practicing pretty much every day — but my “big boy bow” arrived yesterday. A 65” 30# - 35# hickory long bow made by Crows Head Archery. I got it for about $40 less than the listed price. I am quite enamored with traditional self bows.

https://www.crowshead.com/65-bushman-flatbow/

F18B3719-D871-4267-AB53-0C82AFFA461A.jpeg

View attachment 792789

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  2. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    enjoy your new obsession
    do love archery, great sport and great activity in/out the field
    I have 2 bows 60#-70# compound, 25# bunny bow and my son has a 15# bear lil archer bow
    my 25# bunny bow gets most use

3. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That is a great looking bow and quiver, Brad!! I've been looking for an inexpensive recurve or longbow in decent shape at yardsales, etc. Most I've found are warped, split or insanely priced.

4. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good for you! And that's a nice looking bow and quiver. My suggestions would be to get some basic training from your mentor. It's really important to start off right, because what you practice will soon become permanent. Learn to draw, anchor, and release properly and then just go shoot lots of arrows and let your body and mind develop good habits and instincts. Speaking of shooting arrows, once you've learned the basics, I think that going out "stump shooting" is the best way to really sharpen your skills. Instead of just shooting paper targets at known distances, go out in the woods or a farm field and hunt clods, cowpies, pine cones, rotten stumps, etc. It's a lot more interesting than shooting paper targets and you have to learn to estimate distance. If you get some Judo points and some rubber blunts for a few of your arrows, they will last a lot longer than arrows with target or "field" points. The Judo points are good for shooting in grass and weeds. They keep your arrows from slithering under the grass and disappearing. The rubber blunts are good if you are shooting around rocks. Eventually the feathers on your arrows will get torn up, and they will need to be re-fletched. A simple arrow fletching jig can be purchased, along with some glue and new feathers, and then you can build or maintain your arrows yourself.
    Good luck and have fun!

5. BradGad

Blog Posts:
    Thanks GD. Everything you say about concentrating on the fundamentals at first exactly mirrors what Mark says.

I didn’t know about Judo points.

6. Jonah L. Archer

Jonah L. Archer ~Roughian #21~ Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    If you haven't already, read "Hunting with the Bow and Arrow" by Saxton Pope. If that doesn't get your traditional archery juices flowing... nothing will!

P.S. it's free on kindle.

"The flight of an arrow is symbolic of life itself. It springs from the bow with high aim, flies toward the blue heaven above, and seems to have immortal power. The song of its life is sweet to the ear. The rush of its upward arc is a promise of perpetual progress. With perfect grace it sweeps onward, though less aspiring. Then fluttering imperceptibly, it points downward and with ever-increasing speed, approaches the earth, where, with a deep sigh, it sinks in the soil, quivers with spent energy, and capitulates to the inevitable."

~Saxton Pope

7. BradGad

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Jonah... yes, I am working through that and The Witchery of Archery.

8. Jonah L. Archer

Blog Posts:
    :dblthumb:

9. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yup...that's Roughianesque!!!

10. Jonah L. Archer

Blog Posts:
    Yes sir!