Global Bushcraft Symposium, 2019...

Discussion in 'Events' started by x39, Aug 26, 2018.

1. The Woodsrunner

The Woodsrunner Possum Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Same here.

I am most definitely interested in carpooling. Have not booked my tickets yet. Which day were you flying in @chekmate?

EternalLove, ArmyMacE and x39 like this.
  2. chekmate

chekmate Scout

Blog Posts:
    Morning! @EternalLove , @The Woodsrunner & @Peter M ,

My flight arrives in Calgary Monday, June 10th at 13:35 (1:35 PM) . I depart on Friday June 14th at 18:40 (6:40 PM).

Keep Your Tinder Dry
    Chekmate

EternalLove, ArmyMacE and x39 like this.
  3. chekmate

chekmate Scout

Blog Posts:
    @Peter M
    @The Woodsrunner
    @EternalLove

I'd like to be at the GBS Camp by 4, 4:30 to get settled and ready for the opening ceremonies. The drive is one and a half hours from Calgary Airport. Be nice to leave at 2:30 or 3:00. If anyone wants to carpool let me know so I can book a big enough vehicle. I can get a minivan that will easily fit 5 people and our gear. With 5 guys it would cost us $ 100.85 US each or less.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
    Chekmate

4. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    LOL, and rant on he will, I don't wish to be a Debbie Downer but in my opinion while Cody Lundin is a very knowledgeable survivalist instructor, and he knows his stuff for sure, I wouldn't pay good money (not at his prices) to attend any of his workshops though I have heard him speak a few times and in my opinion he's a one trick pony when it comes to speaking events.
    His message is usually two fold, first is his "Lie and they die" rant, and the one that really rubs me the wrong way is his open distain for other survival and bush craft instructors, Cody is a legend in his own mind, he seems (by his words) to believe that he's the only credible (outside of Ray Mears) survival/bush craft instructor around, and in my opinion he's not, just saying.
    We have people on this very forum that I'd much prefer to spend time with learning new skills or learning to improve old skills than I would with Cody Lundin.
    PS, you can read his same rant in one or more of his survival books at Amazon.

EternalLove and x39 like this.
  5. J Stephens

J Stephens Scout

Blog Posts:
    @Moe M.

Oh I don't disagree with anything you're saying about Cody. Truth is I've no interest going to any of his classes, or any other instructor's course for that matter. Sometimes, You just enjoy going to a comedy club to hear the presenter, because their jokes are rooted in life.

I can safely say if George Carlin were alive and a survival instructor, he'd be the only one alive I'd ever pay to attend his class... Just to hear him rant

6. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    A comedy show is always always a good idea. Magic too. Check out Zombie Burlesque it you ever get out to Vegas.

I saw Cody speak on a youtube video and I while I did not find his rant, I recommend this video just to see the warmup act fall flat with his joke in the 30-40 second mark. Absolutely silent.

Maybe I should have a schtick.

Let's see...Barefoot all the time? No no. Taken.
    Drink my own piss and eat crap for the camera? Nah...It's been done.
    Talk and pretend like I am a humerlous, overweight survivl baddie? No. Way to common.

I am open to suggestions as long as it does not require sincerity, integrity, and honest hard work.

I think it will be a fun. Maybe next time they could organize a survival cruise.

x39 likes this.
  7. Peter M

Peter M Plant Nerd and Scatologist Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    That sounds great to me, when I buy my flight i will confirm the minivan rental with you

EternalLove, x39 and ArmyMacE like this.
  8. Peter M

Peter M Plant Nerd and Scatologist Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
  9. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    I really don't know when I will be flying in until we get much closer to the event. I can't confirm anything.

Congratulations again on being a lecture. I'll see you there in June.

Staleym likes this.
  10. chekmate

chekmate Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey! Everyone, &
    @Peter M
    @The Woodsrunner
    @EternalLove

I've rented a minivan for the symposium. There are two seats filled at this time. I have four open seats for a ride to and from the symposium. I'm planning on leaving Calgary Intl Airport Monday, June 10th, 2019 no later than 4:00 pm (16:00 hrs) at the latest. If someone needs a ride let me know.

I'll be returning to Calgary Intl Airport Friday, June 14th, 2019 I have to have the van back by 5 pm (17:00 hrs).

Keep Your Tinder Dry
    Chekmate

11. Joezilla

Joezilla Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys, this will probably be the only one of these that is going to happen. The last one was in '95.

Staleym, x39 and Redwalker like this.
  12. Joezilla

Joezilla Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'll be running around the knifecraft camp there. If you guys have knives and want to bring materials to cut stuff with, let me know. I need wood there for people to practice knife use and stuff with the other instructors that will be there. I can trade knives and stuff for it! I'll be flying in straight from Blade show so I won't be able to go gather material. Can't wait to meet everyone there, this is going to be one heck of a gathering.

Staleym, x39 and Redwalker like this.
  13. chekmate

chekmate Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey! @Joezilla,

Have you contacted anyone from GBS about your wood needs?

Keep Your Tinder Dry
    Chekmate

Staleym and x39 like this.
  14. chekmate

chekmate Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hi! Guys,

Here's a YouTube message about the "Global Bushcraft Symposium" enjoy.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
    Chekmate

Staleym, ArmyMacE and x39 like this.
  15. The Woodsrunner

The Woodsrunner Possum Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Awesomeness! I should know by this Sunday whether I am a 100% GO or not on this trip. I will contact you then about the ride.

ArmyMacE, x39 and Staleym like this.
  16. Captain Airyca

Captain Airyca Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I really hope they record and post videos of the key notes and other stuff!! Gosh I wish I could go!

x39 and Staleym like this.