Gold pan?

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by Birdman, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    Anyone carry a gold pan with them in the bush? Been debating on getting a 10in to work the little mountain streams where I hike.
    Can anyone recommend a good pan? the ones I've been finding locally are very cheaply made.

gohammergo and caspice like this.
  2. MarcoMontana

MarcoMontana Scout

Blog Posts:
    Edit: I am an idiot........... :17:

caspice likes this.
  3. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I just use a standard 10 in. Keene Blue poly pan which dust and small nuggets show up easily in. It has both the fine and course wash ridges molded right in the side.

gohammergo, caspice and Mikewood like this.
  4. swamperdog

swamperdog Scout

Blog Posts:
    Look on fleabay for "Garrett Prospecting gold pan kit" I did a bunch of research on pans a while back and this kit seemed like the best option. It comes with the gravity trap and the plastic pans with the ridges built in. The whole kit is $30.

- Swamperdog

5. Chevrolet4x4s

Chevrolet4x4s Guide

Blog Posts:
    Estwing makes a nice steel pan I believe mine is 12', and the 8" plastic ebay pans arent bad.
    Shane

6. americium

americium Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I carry one if and when I'm in gold country. I prefer the black HDPE pans as opposed to the green plastic ones. The green pans seem to be made of a harder, more brittle plastic that doesn't seem to hold up as well to rough use. I'm not a huge fan of the steel ones because of the weight. The one advantage they do have is that they can be cleaned more easily. A gold pan can be rendered worthless if you get oil in it or on it. Something to do with surface interactions between gold and the oil. The plastic ones are much harder to degrease than the steel pans.

fatcat55, crewhead05 and caspice like this.
  7. azb

azb Scout

Blog Posts:
    I really only carry when I'm planning on doing some prospecting. I prefer a big steel pan, and you need a shovel as well, so there's a lot of weight involved. Not carrying the weight unless I'm going to use it.

If you're really looking to find enough gold to make it worth your time, get a backpack sluice. You'll find 10x more gold than you will with a pan.

If you're just screwing around, a small plastic pan is fine.

Edit: I like steel because a fine surface rust on the pan bottom helps catch the smaller gold particles.

Az

caspice and Mikewood like this.
  8. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    I have my dad's pans and my small 8" pan hanging on a carabineer in in my truck 24/7. 3 steel pans well seasoned, (Rusty) and 1 black plastic 10" pan. I remember when my dad gave me my very own pan to use, (The 8") it was huge to me when he gave it to me at 7 or 8 years old. We were camping (Don't recall where now, it was some place far from home (Being the snotling I was ) and he gave me the pan. I had to season it, with his help he said toss it in the fire! I can remember thinking NO I don't want to burn up my very new shiny gold pan! He then explained that it would catch more gold after burning it. Reluctantly I tossed it the fire. Don't recall it ever collecting more gold though.
    So now , my pans hangs next to its big brothers in my truck ready for use whenever I see promising areas.

fatcat55 and caspice like this.
  9. caspice

caspice Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Which ever make pan you opt to use, make sure it is well seasoned prior to use.

To season your plastic pans prior to field use you'll need: a green scotch pad (or even a brillo pad); a dish washing liquid that DOES NOT contain any type of added citrus (lemon or orange) oil; a scoop of sandy/gritty dirt; a sink or tub large enough to fill with water and hold your new pan.

Rub the inside of the pan with the dish soap. Add the scoop of gritty dirt to the inside of the pan. Place in the water filled tub. Use the scrub pad and scrub the snot out of the pan. The two goals in this process are to remove the production casting oil and to lightly mar the interior surface of the pan.
    Make sure that water no longer 'beads' inside the pan.
    Think of a nicely waxed new car verses my 28 year-old beater truck during a rain storm. You want the beater truck finish.

A metal pan can be seasoned as detailed below. The fire will burn off the manufacturers oil. They are oiled so they look nice while on display/storage prior to being purchased.

Good Luck.

fatcat55, Falcon45 and Seacapt. like this.
  10. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have an Estwing pan that I received from my son as a gift several years ago. Still haven't used it, but I should! :)

11. bumma

bumma Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @gohammergo you should, it's a lot of fun. Some work involved but you never know what you'll find!