Golden Hawk square stern Canoe?

Discussion in 'Paddling' started by J. Pierce, Jan 10, 2017.

1. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Any of you ever been in a Golden Hawk square stern canoe?

They are made here in Wisconsin, and it seems like it might make a good small lake/river travel and fishing rig.

A couple of stolen images.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 12'-9" fiberglass square stern weigh something like 65 pounds and is rated for up to a 4hp motor. They make a 10' version too.
    They look super stable, not sure I'd want to paddle one real far, but with a motor I think I could go a lot of places.

Years ago I had a little narrow 12' V-hull with a 5hp motor. I could run up river through rapids, slide over beaver dams, run tiny little creeks, and get all sorts of places a motor boat should not be. I miss those days.......

I see used aluminum transom canoes for sale occasionally, but they are always at least 17 footers, and sometimes big 20 something grand lakers. Way to big for what I need or want. Aluminum is loud too.
    The old used fiberglass flat backs I've found are all over a hundred pounds.

Anybody have one of these ugly Golden Hawk canoes, or recommend something similar?

Sent from my bakelite rotary phone via Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Fretful7 likes this.
  2. grandpa p

grandpa p Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Check Radisson or Sportspal. They are wide, light,and up to 14' (I think). They used to make square sterns that weren't quite as ugly as what you posted.

Bad Little Falls and J. Pierce like this.
  3. GKiT

GKiT Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    rural America but not as far out as I would like
    Golden Hawk used to have a booth at the National Trappers Association conventions so I have looked them over a few times. Never used one myself but I have talked to a few people that have used them and they seemed to like them. Creek Boats out of NC makes a light type of completely open deck heavy duty plastic pirogue with a reinforced transom for a trolling motor. I have used them and they are pretty good for hauling gear into hard to get places.

J. Pierce likes this.
  4. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Stolen pic, but I have a 17' and a 13' Old Town Discovery sport identical to this:
    [​IMG]
    They're both great on the water. Stable, can be paddled, rowed, or motored along. They arent as nimble as a true canoe, but im happy with them. The 17' is hard to paddle for one person, but the smaller boat is easy to do on my own. I love having the option of dropping a prop in the water if the kids get grouchy, storms roll in, we stayed out too late, etc. They're 65 lbs and 85 lbs. Couldn't recommend them high enough. Ive seen a guy run one on the New River in whitewater, not something id do, but can be done. I paid just less than $700 for the pair.

J. Pierce likes this.
  5. J. Pierce

Blog Posts:
    There are Old Town dealers nearby, they don't have any in stock. But they could order one for me. I was thinking they were heavier than that. I had a traditional double end Discovery years ago. Tough boat, you could make bad mistakes, and treat it wrong and it just kept going.

The foam on the Sportspal/Radisson canoes kinda turned me off and I haven't found a dealer in the area.

The Golden Hawk transom is ugly, but I bet it works well. A wide transom on a V-hull or a skiff can really catch the current in a river and shove you around.

6. grandpa p

grandpa p Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Not only are they ugly, they are tuff to paddle, wide beam + the foam.

J. Pierce likes this.
  7. J. Pierce

Blog Posts:
    I'm not real concerned about how this boat would paddle. I'm looking at it as a narrow motor boat.

I paddle a 12' long 26" beam 25 pound Kevlar canoe. Any of the above boats are going to feel like I'm paddling a swim raft with a tablespoon compared to my current canoe.

8. Crusher0032

Blog Posts:
    Given what a boat costs new, I would hit up Craigslist or whatever local classifieds you have and see what's available. I drove a couple hours to get my smaller boat for $200. The other was $425 or so at a local pawn shop. Msrp on a new disco sport 15 is like $1500. If I had found a Sportspal or a Gheenoe cheap, that's what I'd have went with. I just got lucky and happen to be really into Old Town anyway. I know others are good craft also.

J. Pierce likes this.
  9. ShawnH

ShawnH Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have one. I have paddled it alot but I just put a motor on it last summer. It is light and nimble but not overly tough and the transom set up sucks. you need extra long battery cables and a longggg handle. there are better boats out there.

J. Pierce likes this.
  10. J. Pierce

Blog Posts:
    I hadn't thought about the handle length, that's a very good point. Thanks.

11. J. Pierce

Blog Posts:
    Oh I'm not set on a new one, I'm keeping my eyes open for used preferably.
    I've even thought about building a small skiff, but I don't really need any more half finished projects.

plinker22 likes this.
  12. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    I had a 13' x 38" canoe. I didn't think it was much of a tandem. Too wide to solo with a paddle. That Golden Hawk 12'9" looks like it would be decent as a motorized solo if you have the right setup for motor control.

I would tend more to the Wenonah Backwater.

J. Pierce likes this.
  13. J. Pierce

Blog Posts:
    That Wenonah Backwater is really nice, but at around 25 hundred bucks, MSRP I might be money ahead to hire a guide, and just ride in his canoe.

I found a little one man canoe shop less than 2 hours from my place. He is closed right now, but said I should come see him in April.
    He has Old Town, Wenonah, Golden Hawk and used inventory. If I don't find anything between now and then I'll probably head down there and see what he has. At least then I can test them out on the water.

Next thing is.... I have to find a decent used little outboard with an integral gas tank.

This is gonna get expensive.
    Maybe I need to sort some gear and sell off some items I'm no longer using.........

plinker22 likes this.
  14. swissarmy67

swissarmy67 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've had an Old Town Pack for 10+ years and like it for fishing solo. I use a kayak paddle for traveling and a std one for maneuvering.

Problem is that I can't take anyone with me, dog or wife.

So I went a tad bigger. Found an old Alumacraft CS-14. It's 14'x38" (25" at the stern). I haven't had a chance to put her in the water yet. LOL

I rode in my buddies Grumman Sport Boat this fall and really liked it. But at 15'3"x43" it's just a tad too wide for paddles. With the Swamp Runner it is awesome however.

I plan to get the Mini Swamp Runner after a while. 3hp should be plenty manageable.

[​IMG]

I really wish that somebody (other than Raddison or Sportspal) would come out with a new 14'x 36"-40" square stern aluminum canoe.

tabasco_joe and J. Pierce like this.
  15. Crusher0032

Blog Posts:
    Don't ever sell that pack canoe, I've been watching for one in driving distance for several years here. I have settled on a Disco 119, but if one of those pack models ever pops up its mine.

J. Pierce likes this.
  16. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I bought my American Eagle fiberglass 11' square stern new I think back in 2004. It weighs in at 45 pounds so easy to carry. I paddle, row, and motor this canoe in fresh, brackish, and saltwater. I'm happy with it. American Eagle no longer makes an 11' but they now make a 12' "Eaglet": American Eagle 12' Eaglet Square Stern Canoe - Fishing Package

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I run 4 different motors on my square stern canoe. My first motor was a air-cooled 3hp 2-stroke Tanaka 300 I got on eBay hardly used. They even shipped to Hawai'i. My second motor was also a 3hp Tanaka but this one had a black fuel tank and sold under the Gamefisher 3.0 label. A friend here in Hawai'i gave me this one. I was going to use it for parts but a new tiller arm I made from a section of Galvanized EMT (original tiller totally rusty) a new spark plug, and fresh fuel had it running like a champ ever since. I even put a "MayTag" decal on each side of motor because of it's dependabilty. 3rd motor is a 30lb. thrust Evinrude electric trolling motor my brother on the mainland sent me 10 years ago. I've gone through 2 batteries and the motor's still going strong. My latest motor I got new on eBay back in 2008 a 2.5hp 4 stroke Suzuki. It is quiet, and not smoky like my Tanakas but not 100% reliable like my Tanakas which have never let me down but a strong 98%. I think it may have to do with 15% ethanol in our gasoline. It's a tad scary when you're 5 miles offshore, and suddenly your motor starts sputtering then dies out. I always carry a small tool kit and extra spark plugs so never more than an inconvenience (so far). My next 5 gallons of fuel I'm buying at the local marina ethanol-free.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

If 2 strokes can be run in your local waters I highly suggest getting a used 2 stroke. They are very reliable and relatively affordable in the used market. Parts are available too especially for Johnsons, Evinrudes, and Mercury. I love vintage outboards from the 50s and 60s.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  18. J. Pierce

Blog Posts:
    Very interesting, I've never seen the American Eagle brand. I'll have to look into those.
    I've seen Tanaka motors, and Gamefishers, but I don't know anyone who has owned one.

This is great, you all have been very helpful. I appreciate it.

Ahnkochee likes this.
  19. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The oars make paddling the 17 a lot easier.

J. Pierce likes this.
  20. Crusher0032

Blog Posts:
    I also run a vintage 2 stroke. 1967 3 hp Johnson Seahorse folding motor. Runs like a top and easy to work on. I never would have thought of someone in Hawaii messing around with the same kinds of old engines I do here in WV. Goes to show you how versatile they are.

plinker22, J. Pierce and Ahnkochee like this.
  21. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I love the old Johnsons & Evinrudes with the aluminum clamshell covers and their smoky 24 to 1 gas/oil mix. They are getting pretty rare here as so many things made of metal put in storage the salt air here corrodes or rust them if neglected. Back in the 60s and early 70s those older engines were still quite common. The later 70s and 80s 2 strokes were nice too though they lack some of the character of the early motors. We had a 4hp a 5.5hp, a 15hp, and a 28hp.
    I subscribes to this guy's YouTube channel because I get all nostalgic watching him run these old motors which I believe he restores and sells: chrysleroutboarddude

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    plinker22, FreeMe and J. Pierce like this.
  22. River Boy

River Boy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Tanakas were good good little motors. They should have been more popular than they were. Marketing I guess; or maybe they couldn't compete with OMC and Mercury who both made excellent small motors. Before they were called Tanaka they were called 'Aqua Bug'.
    They also made a 1.2 Tanaka/Aqua Bug motor.
    They've got a cult following and new/old parts are still out there.

Ahnkochee and J. Pierce like this.
  23. dirtwheels

dirtwheels Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    +1 on the ghenoe, used my dads a lot until it was stolen. Paddled and electric motor, many configs available, very cool product.

J. Pierce likes this.
  24. swissarmy67

swissarmy67 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here's the SPS Mini Swamp Runner. I'm going to start with the 79cc Predator motor from Harbor Freight.

Just like this guy's set up.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    Ahnkochee, Crusher0032 and J. Pierce like this.
  25. J. Pierce

Blog Posts:
    You guys are not helping me much!

Now I want no less than 7 new boats and 8 new motors.

plinker22, okapimike and Ahnkochee like this.
  26. dirtwheels

dirtwheels Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Our gheenoe was a 16', this one is slicker!

J. Pierce likes this.
  27. J. Pierce

Blog Posts:
    Well........ I ended up with an ugly boat and a beautiful motor!

I found an old used 12"-9" Golden Hawk for a good price, and two days latter I stumbled onto this all original 1951 Johnson Seahorse 5 hp motor.

I haven't had them in the water yet, so the only known photos in existence are in my messy garage.
    I need to put new coils on the motor, but hopefully I can add some nice outdoor glamor photos of beauty and the beast soon.

Thanks again for all your advice and input!

1951 Johnson Seahorse Golden Hawk.jpg

plinker22, SLaRoy, RavenLoon and 4 others like this.
  28. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    J. Pierce likes this.
  29. Crusher0032

Blog Posts:
    J. Pierce likes this.
  30. J. Pierce

Blog Posts:
    Thanks @Crusher0032 some good info there!
    I'm not sure yet how much help I will need. Once my coils get here I'll find out, I guess.

@Ahnkochee thanks! That is exactly why I had the motor hung today, to test out the tiller. I was thinking an extension would be much more comfortable.

My only concern about this motor is, it does not have the twist throttle on the tiller. It has a slide lever on the motor itself.
    Which will be just fine, until I hit something, like a rock, log, or sandbar.
    But hey, a brand new prop came with the motor, so I got that going for me.

31. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I forgot these old outboards did not have a twist grip throttle. My dad used to run a 4hp Johnson in a motor well on his 18' dory. I believe the motor was a 1973 vintage with fiberglass cowl. The well placed the motor well ahead of the stern transom so in that a tiller extension was not necessary but I always remember the throttle being a lever on the side of the motor, not the best design for used in a narrow stern boat like a canoe or dory. It's worth any inconvenience when running a classic beauty like your Johnson.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    plinker22 and J. Pierce like this.
  32. J. Pierce

Blog Posts:
    No reverse gear either, but it is a very light weight motor.
    So hopefully the weight savings will be worth it.

A guy I work with brought the motor to work for me to look at the other day.
    The second he dropped the tailgate and I saw it, I knew it was mine, tiller throttle or not!

plinker22 likes this.
  33. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I remember my dad turning the motor 180 degrees to go backwards. Classic outboards are like classic cars, you learn to live with their quirks for the privilege of owning one. Keep that exterior paint waxed up with the best auto wax you have.
    My 3hp Tanaka has a centrifugal clutch (like a chainsaw) with a 360 rotation for reverse. My 2.5hp Suzuki has a neutral and forward with 360 rotation for reverse also. One time I was fighting a large fish that had me almost spooled so I cast off the anchor line, started up the outboard and chased & fought the fish almost 30 minutes while steering the motor turned backyards. I got my fish though. :dblthumb: If in hot pursuit I think it's easier to steer the motor turned 180 than one in reverse gear with the tiller.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  34. J. Pierce

Blog Posts:
    LMAO........ Awesome!

Ahnkochee likes this.
  35. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:

Gotta love a 69# featherweight. Back when men were men.

I've got a vintage air cooled 3.5 HP engine around somewhere. Weighs about 10 lbs. Probably needs a carb rebuild as it has been used a few times with ethanol gas.

J. Pierce likes this.
  36. Back Off

Back Off Scout

Blog Posts:
    My sister has the non motor one and yeah, they are light! We fished next to a couple of kids in one over the weekend and they had a minn kota on theirs and they were not paddling. I would opt for the grumman ones myself and if its really a dedicated small motor boat I have a grumman sport canoe that is an awesome little boat but finding them under $1000 isnt easy anymore. They were the main boat for Game Wardens for checking duck hunters for years. Very sea worthy as they are 16 feet long and can handle bewtween 3-7 hp depending on when it was made. I have a 1972 Johnson 6hp on mine and it works great. I still have my old Johnson 5hp that looks just like the photos of the 5hp motors above too!

Here is what mine looks like from a photo on the internet -
    grumman.jpg

Ahnkochee, J. Pierce and tabasco_joe like this.
  37. RickS

RickS Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You guys are talking down my alley, I have been watching Craigslist every day looking for a 13-15 ft sq back. Think I will buy the new Honda 2.3 for it. I want something light enough to put on my truck shells rack and will weld a plate on my spare tire rack for the outboard. I don't want to drag a trailer around. I have a old town pack canoe now, but am looking for something that will work well with the outboard.

plinker22, Ahnkochee and J. Pierce like this.
  38. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I was just looking at the Grumman/Marathon Sport Boat on their website yesterday (http://www.marathonboat.com/square-15.asp), and I was impressed by the Sport Boat's specifications especially it's 43" beam and ability to row with oars. I used to own a 13'9 aluminum Sear skiff with a very wide beam. It motored well enough but was a pig to row. The Sport Boat's slim beam looks like an easy rower, and should make a decent seaworthy craft for ocean use on fair weather days. The $2900+ price tag is a tad steep but maybe I can find a used one in Florida if I can retire there in 5 to 7 years.

J. Pierce likes this.
  39. J. Pierce

Blog Posts:
    A couple weeks ago I missed out on a used Sport Boat for 450 bucks!
    I was so mad, but it was listed for sale early in the morning on a day I had to work, I knew it would be gone in an hour or two.

Ahnkochee and RickS like this.
  40. Back Off

Back Off Scout

Blog Posts:
    I didnt even know they were making them again! Up here in the midwest there are quite a few of them around as they are very popular for duck hunters as you can haul a lot of gear in them. My father even packed out a moose in one years ago. I see them anywhere from $850 on up. $1500-$2500 with a trailer. You can find them on craigslist fairly often but I am not sure about down there. There were a lot of different versions made. Some where slightly longer, others wider, There were a few also lighter in weight. Most I have seen were max 5 hp. My father is 7 hp and I have a friend that has one that is max at 3 hp. His was the lightest and yep, dads the heaviest. :Used for $450 is a steal! Some people get them confused with the squared off canoe and miss-price them. $350-$450 seems to be the going rate for those. Most of the time the person in the front is sitting on the bow not the seat. Way more comfortable that way. The back seat makes a perfect platform for push polling. It does great with a motor, push poles very well and is ok with paddling but not as good as as regular canoe. I have about 40 years of experience with them. They are a great little boat.

J. Pierce likes this.
  41. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    But you can only do that once for that money.

J. Pierce likes this.
  42. J. Pierce

Blog Posts:
    Lol... I was just being a smart ass.
    No doubt in my mind that is a fantastic boat.
    It was just more than I wanted to spend.

Bad Little Falls likes this.
  43. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I have a River ridge that my son and I will put to good use this summer.

plinker22 likes this.
  44. J. Pierce

Blog Posts:
    @zelph that river ridge looks exactly like my Golden Hawk, much newer bet designwise it's identical.

45. little j

little j Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    golden hawk canoes are as functional as the manufacturer claims. the workmanship really lacks especially for what you pay for one. I believe no warranty also. I didn't like the workmanship and wanted to return it. told ok leave canoe and we will send you a refund check. DA!! right.

J. Pierce likes this.