Good axe day sort of

Discussion in 'Axe Mob' started by cachambers, Jan 21, 2018.

1. cachambers

cachambers Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The wife decided we would spend the day with her dad gathering some firewood, He dropped a few red oaks sometime last year so we spent the day dragging, cutting and splitting. Here is how the Craftsman I hung last year started the day.

IMG_1047.jpg

A little on the Craftsman. https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/craftsman-axe-head-any-pointers.166434/ I never finished the post because I was a little self conscious about the finished product. Wasn't a great job on my end. Either way she worked so I left her as is. Splitting maul is currently being re-hung so this was all we had to split with. Did a great job until I hit a big knot and the head loosened a good bit. Wife's grandfather says I've got an old axe somewhere. Digs around in his shed and produces this.

IMG_1052.jpg

Collins 3 1/2 lb. Not sure of the head pattern. Jersey, Kentucky? Father in law takes one swing and says this head is loose too. Look closer and the metal wedge has fallen out. I recommended not using it but he doesn't usually listen and today was no different. Couple more swings and the head was so loose it wouldn't tap back down. Grandfather says I haven't used it in 10 years or more. He then mentions another axe in the shed. We dig out this.

IMG_1053.jpg

No idea on this one. Anyone? Father in law steps up to the plate. One swing, a long crack shows in the middle of the handle. Again, I wouldn't use it. Again, a few more swings. Handle breaks in half. Luckily we have a truck bed full already. We don't heat with wood primarily so we use very little.

IMG_1058.jpg

So, me being the sweet grandson-in-law that I am, I offer to rehang them and bring them back if he ever needs them. He agreed to let me hang them and laughed about maybe bringing them back but didn't say no. So, I now have to finish the splitting maul, the 'Kentucky' that I've been working on, the Craftsman, the Collins and the 'no name'. 5 total for me. I hope he never remembers I have them. Joking, sort of.

IMG_1050.jpg

2. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Good day for a guy who likes fixing them anyway!
    I'm pretty sure the one you wondered about, second jersey, is a newer collins. It's most likely a good enough axe,
    but the older collins is a great find.

3. carpenter

carpenter AXE MOB Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That's some good looking axes. You will learn a lot hanging them.

ARPILOT, Holmesmade and cachambers like this.
  4. Sticks N' Stones

Sticks N' Stones Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yep both are Jersey for sure. I feel like someone put a torch to the second one a drew out the temper due to the coloration. I love the big east coast heads like the jersey's and especially the Connecticut's. But one thing I noticed is that with such a long cutting edge on those you need to whip them fast to penetrate well, I currently have a 3.5# Connecticut on a 27" handle that in some cases get's out chopped by my S&N 3# Jersey with the same length handle with the same velocity, both have good edges and profiles Jersey is hybrid between Jersey and Maine wedge. I find with the heads with the longer edges I need to really whip the axe like an axe racer to get them to really bust out chips. Then again I could be disgruntled from the 19" seasoned white ash I chopped down today taking longer then I expected, that could be though with my crappy notches though.

Sorry for derailing I just need to vent. Oh and your craftsman looks great! No need to be ashamed of her.

ARPILOT, Holmesmade and cachambers like this.
  5. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Lol, your father in-law sounds like kind of a loose cannon!
    Great finds; you've got your work cut out for you!

ARPILOT and Holmesmade like this.
  6. cachambers

cachambers Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Scary part is he's a cop and a dang good one. But when its time for chores, he's like a bull in a china shop.

ARPILOT, Holmesmade and Ptpalpha like this.
  7. cachambers

cachambers Tracker

Blog Posts:
    After some cleaning, the older Collins is a Red Seal 3 1/2. Found this while searching:

RED SEAL 1905-1949+

The RED SEAL label was printed in at least three different color variations, each with the words "AXES AND TOOL-S" in either red, black or blue. The mark between the L and S is unexplained. They also used stampings on axes with the same brand name.
    Note that the manufacturer's name included on the labels with the black lettering appears with two different names and locations. Some axes were made in Yeagertown, Pennsylvania, a community near Lewistown, Pennsylvania. They are marked JAMES H. MANN CO., LEWISTOWN, PA. That reflected the manufactory that Collins had acquired from James H. Mann, Jr. around 1923.

Seems to very well made. Shes soaking now. Will update as I progress.

Thanks for all the thumbs up and the likes. I am having a blast learning about the history and also learning how to hang them correctly.

ARPILOT and Muleman77 like this.
  8. cachambers

cachambers Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Got both heads somewhat cleaned up.
    IMG_1088.jpg IMG_1090-2.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg IMG_1091-2.jpg

The second one has no markings that I can see. Did Collins ever mark their heads another place? There's a little paint left but I can see it well enough that I am pretty confident there are no markings on the face or cheek of the head.

Muleman77 likes this.
  9. Muleman77

Blog Posts:
    Newer ones weren't marked, but with a sticker. The Case With Many Brands actually.
    After handling enough heads you can recognize certain things and make a good guess, but there's almost always room for error in that.

cachambers likes this.
  10. cachambers

cachambers Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Copy that. I've seen enough of your knowledge to trust you. Just looking for clarification. What do you mean by 'the case with many brands'?

Muleman77 likes this.
  11. Muleman77

Blog Posts:
    Just that many brands had axes with no stamps, stickers only as time went on. True Temper, Plumb, Collins all had those out there.
    There's a lot to know about axe companies and their history, I just skim the surface really.

cachambers likes this.
  12. cachambers

cachambers Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Gotcha. Been wearing the yesteryearstools.com website out. Learning tons. Thanks as always bud.

Muleman77 likes this.
  13. cachambers

cachambers Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Didn't want to start another thread so I'm posting here. Been a busy late winter/early spring at work so I've had not time to mess with the other heads. Walked with my Dad down to his neighbors to get some honey for my wife. While there, he was telling us about the lake that used to be behind his house that we never knew about. We've been there since '92. Anyway, he took a walk down there awhile back and found an axe head. I know have my Dad trained so well that I didn't even have time to ask about it. He did it for me. Ended up leaving with the head as he never plans on using it. Anyone (@Muleman77 ) care to id this one for me? I know have 5 waiting to be hung. Tommy Axe.jpg Tommy Axe 1.jpg