1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Bug Shelter Without Netting or Door - Floorless Pyramids

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by reppans, Sep 6, 2017.

1. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just wanted to share an interesting flying bug behavior in a floorless pyramid tent, even without using an inner net tent. My 'mid' has ~75% coverage with open: door, perimeter gap, and peak vent - this mostly enclosed shelter seems to keep ~75% of the flying bugs from entering. Of the ~25% that do enter, the vast majority seem to realize they're trapped and shift their focus away from nourishment (i.e., me) to escape/survival and start flitting along the walls and eventually out the peak vent or perimeter gaps. I now only set-up my inner net tent when ready to sleep (still have a creepy/crawly phobia while obliviously asleep) - this makes for a nicer day/evening bug shelter which has more interior room and DOES NOT require: zipping through doors to enter/access gear; taking shoes off; or hunting/killing the few bugs that made it in.

I've only tested this in the Northern Appalachians during peak black fly season and mild mosquito conditions (most outings too cold or too dry) but other mid users at backpackinglight seem to report similar behavior (ONE, TWO, THREE, and FOUR). I don't think it will work in truly nasty mosquito conditions, but fortunately, that's rare for me.

Wondering if other mid users noticed the same. Also, if folks with traditional free-standing tents wanted to test this, they could simulate the config (just fly and ground sheet) with a 'fast fly set-up' or even just by leaving the inner tent poled and staked, yet unclipped and collapsed to the ground. (Note: a good peak vent maybe critical as flying bugs seem to seek height for escape.)

rsnurkle likes this.
  2. MontanaMarine

MontanaMarine Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've noticed in the lightweight tipi the bugs tend to go up to the cone. Opening up the top via the double-zipper, and propping it open, most of the bugs go up and out.