Good candle for black outs

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Bridgetdaddy, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Recently in Maine, we had a wind storm that knocked out power for about 500,000 people. Some were a week getting it back. We only lost it for about 3 days. It was above freezing day and night so it was not too bad. We used a 3 wick Yankee candle to light the living room and help take the chill off, but I wanted to find something better.
    I was shopping at A C Moore craft store the other day and found a monster candle. Their free phone app gives you a 50-55% off coupon every day. The candle was $19.99 but with my coupon it was only $9.50. I could not find it online at either A C Moore website or anywhere online. I included a picture of the label so the brand and bar code is visible. The candle is 8 inches square, 4 inches high, and has 4 wooden wicks. With a small frame to hold a pot you could cook on it. The Yankee candle is pictured beside it for size. Even as cheap as I am, $9.50 for a candle this size is a good deal. IMG_20171115_152021668.jpg IMG_20171115_152049498.jpg IMG_20171115_152154486.jpg IMG_20171115_152109520.jpg

2. bobs1415

bobs1415 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That is 1 extreme candle! A can of Crisco with some mop strand wicks would be an alternative.

3. 3VOL1

3VOL1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Personally I keep 2 one gallon tins of Bertolli olive oil for making oil lamps and cooking..I have bad luck with candles.

4. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use a Luci Light solar lantern when power goes off, it's great for extended periods. I have a few candles but no longer use them. And there's no risk of fire.

5. IzaWildman

IzaWildman Grey Dog Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm so bright, I just take my hat off....................................................sorry - you really have to know me to fully appreciate my sense of humor.

6. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Guide

Blog Posts:
    :4:

Winterhorse and gohammergo like this.
  7. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Are you bald too? :)

8. allofthemonkeys

allofthemonkeys Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have seen folks cook over these multi flame candles, something extra to think about. Just make sure the hint of vanilla wont throw off the taste of your food

Winterhorse and Bridgetdaddy like this.
  9. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lets see it in action. I'd like to see how the flames are with those wicks.

I made up some buddy burners pretty much for emergency use. A nice flame can really take the chill off the area around it. Plus of course it's fire, so adds the comfort of burning fire, also.
    If used in the house I plan on lighting them on an overturned metal pie tin to keep them off the surface and catch any wax that might spill over.
    Just a few days ago I was sent an email ad on some supercharged buddy burner that looks like it's built in a cookie tin.

I also have some Uco candle lanterns on hand.

That candle looks like a nice option, but I'd prefer unscented.

Bridgetdaddy likes this.
  10. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Those candles look like they would put out a lot of light. Have you considered an oil lamp? We have about half a dozen antique oil lamps that use unscented lamp oil. Two will light up a moderately sized room well enough to read or cook by. If properly trimmed they don’t smoke and have no oder.

Bobsdock, NWPrimate and Bridgetdaddy like this.
  11. Jayson

Jayson Scout

Blog Posts:
    I picked up 4 maglight solitaires and a large pack of extra aaa batteries. Turn on and drop it light end up into a disposable water bottle. Makes a great lamp that lasts a long time on a battery.

Bobsdock, NWPrimate and Bridgetdaddy like this.
  12. camp casey

camp casey Guide

Blog Posts:
    Large restaurants and convention centers use candles, they may only burn an inch or so of a 12" candle.
    And they can't re-use them, for $50k
    They expect new candles I guess, I get them for $8 a case of 100 plus candles, there tall white and burn bright, don't run and burn completely.
    Thrift stores are also a great source of cheap candles and wax, you can get large candles for cheap there, fill a couple of bucket full, good barter stock.

13. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple Luci Lights, but for candles I go to the Dollar Tree. (This has been discussed before, but...) They have tall candles in glass, for $1 each. Testing has shown that they will burn for a very long time.
    I do like the idea of using the candle the OP got for emergency cooking. Can't do that with mine.

Winterhorse and Bridgetdaddy like this.
  14. Swampyankee101

Swampyankee101 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I got two of those GI style led lanterns from TV. They really light up a room. With a few other battery lanterns , wood stove, and my two burner coleman stove, I am ready.

Bridgetdaddy likes this.
  15. Young Blacksmith

Young Blacksmith Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We use the old style oil lamps when the power goes out. Adjustable light, refillable, and fairly safe. I put mirrors behind them sometimes to reflect more light.

16. Fiddlehead

Fiddlehead Scout

Blog Posts:
    Rather than a candle, consider and 18650 battery headlamp or flashlight. On low or firefly settings they will run for over a month. Pair with a solar battery charger and you'll have light for a very long time.

Plus 1 on the Luci Light solar lanterns. Another good option as they were made to give light to people living in places that have no electricity.

Bobsdock and Bridgetdaddy like this.
  17. Galen blazer

Galen blazer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I make my own with beeswax and a paper towel tube or toilet paper tube i just glue the bottom so it dont run out and fill and i use sum kinds string and let it cool slow

camp casey likes this.
  18. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    At home, on solar. LED lights.
    camping, on solar LED lights .
    If I need light it's night time and eventually I fall asleep .
    Flame light is just not my cup tea any more , too much can go wrong .and in an emergency I don't want to create the potential for another emergency .
    If I need light for walking, a flame is easily blown out ,and where do you put it while taking a dump ?
    If you need to see any thing at a distance , a flame is good for letting someone know where your are , but not the other way around.
    Flame light at the picnic table is romantic, but not ideal for reading .
    Not saying I don't have flame lighting , i have quite a bit, it's just the very last resort .
    To me flame fuel is of more value cooking an heating .

marbleman likes this.
  19. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  20. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I grew up using propane for heat and cooking. Invented but the old house was “vented.” Anyway, I’d feel comfortable using any of the butane blend stoves for cooking. We built our house with a wood stove since it is all electric. Candles and oil lamps are good enough light. I especially like the candle lanterns as they are a bit safer in my estimation

21. beeperboy

beeperboy Scout

Blog Posts:
    These are cool. I bought one for my winter storm kit. I've had lots of kerosene lamps over the years, but this one is interesting because you can heat water/melt snow or do a little light cooking on it. You won't deep fry potatoes chips on it, but you can heat food while producing light. Super reliable. No generator to plug up or seals drying out from sitting for years. This lamp and a gallon of kerosene would last for a few days. I think it produces about 2000 BTU of heat.

[​IMG]

Dietz Millennium Cooker/Lantern

https://www.survivalresources.com/dietz-millennium-cooker-lantern.html

22. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've always been hesitant to use candles for heat and light during an outage. In the small town where I once lived, two families lost their homes and possessions due to tipped over candles.

I began using Dietz lanterns just after that. They're more difficult to tip over plus if you act fairly quickly, the flame will never touch anything flammable if they do tip.

Additionally, they're great to take for use around camp. Most will burn all night if turned down low.

To light our home, we installed plant hanging brackets in all the rooms, so we'd always have somewhere to hang the lanterns. They actually look quite rustic when in use. Rather than kerosene, we use scented lamp oil. Pretty cheap at most stores. The Dietz lanterns are fairly inexpensive also. We get ours from the Lehman's catalog.

Steve

Faiaoga, Bobsdock and beeperboy like this.
  23. CharClothed

CharClothed Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use a lumin aid light which is bright as heck, but I got this one cause it has different colors mode like red. If you get their light, and fill out all the info for the checkout but don't actually check out at the end, a couple of days later you'll get one email from them reminding you about it and then a couple days after that, another email with a discount code for $5

24. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Scout

Blog Posts:
    On the subject of candles...I'm sure forum folk are familiar with this old trick, just a modern version of the thin natural Horn sheets that were once used to make candle lanterns draught proof and to help diffuse the light of the flame. Common before ordinary folk could afford the expensive material of glass.

I first saw it used at an outside camp where candles were used under a tarp. It worked well because the candles stayed alight in the slight breeze. With modern flammable materials it's not something I would personally use indoors, at least not in normal circumstances but in a real emergency with only one candle that needed to stay alight...Who knows?

[​IMG]

Lights out........

[​IMG]

Milk container with air inlet holes pierced to allow air ingress.

[​IMG]

While the brightness of the candle does not increase, it appears to provide a general diffused glow and the flame is protected. Really just an exercise in using what I had to hand, without going into full candle lantern manufacturing mode...:D :D

[​IMG]

Bridgetdaddy, Bobsdock, Crowe and 2 others like this.
  25. geebob

geebob Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have one box of tea light candle. It contains 100 tea light candles.
    I prefer this to regular candle cause at least with tea light candle there's no risk it tips over and causing fire.

26. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I really like liquid paraffin candles. I'm not sure how easy they are to find in regular stores but restaurant supply stores always have them and you can get them online (quickcandles is a good vendor). These are what restaurants use in their little centerpiece lamps in the middle of tables. They come in many sizes but my favorite is the 8 hour size since it's physically the same diameter and general size as a tealight candle. These are small sealed plastic bottles/containers with a wick sealed in the top clamped in with a metal cap. You can turn 'em upside down and shake vigorously, they won't leak. Unlike a wax tea light the wick can't shift on them so you can snuff em out and relight them indefinitely so long as there's still fuel in them.

One really cool bonus is that the 8 hour version fits in the UCO Mini candle lantern and works great in it!

I keep a case at home for emergencies. I also have maybe 100 batteries of various types and at least three dozen high quality flashlights. But a candle (especially a fuel cell) can burn many many hours, and provides at least a little bit of heat in an enclosed space.

Dogrobber likes this.
  27. Angus McGunnigl

Angus McGunnigl Guide

Blog Posts:
    I really like the UCO candle lantern. The candles are expensive, but don’t drip a lot. I have the side reflector for the 3 I own.

Bobsdock likes this.
  28. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Still going Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's way too bright please put your back on at lest till I find my sunglasses !

IzaWildman likes this.
  29. LongAgoLEO

LongAgoLEO Guide

Blog Posts:
    I got this set up some time ago. Useful in a pinch, but seemed pretty slow to heat. I use the lantern a lot (as a lantern). Funny though, the little grill-like adaptor for the top I swiped and use all the time in combination with an old metal cup containing any number of fuel cells/gels and everything from pots to small fry pans on top.
    Winter '15 - 072.jpg
    Summer '16 - 999-930i.JPG Summer '16 - 999-934.JPG Summer '16 - 999-930j.JPG

beeperboy and Bridgetdaddy like this.
  30. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Not sure if I an doing something wrong, but the wood wicks don't burn well at all. Smolder and the wax puts them out. :confused:

31. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    Any candles will work. My wife has a cabinet full of scented candles that she got from her girlfriends.

I don't think we need a lot of light. One candle per room is enough, and I'd rather burn the candle than use up my batteries.

Young Blacksmith likes this.
  32. Gerald_G

Gerald_G Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    we were without power for only an hour or so last night. Broke out the Dietz lantern and a couple of small UCO lanterns, and all was good.
    I also own a triple candle UCO, but it was out in the RV and we had lots of light with what I mentioned so no need to go fetch it in.

33. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    We lost power intermittently for the past week due to the fires and we only used three candles, one on the living room coffee table, and the other two in the bathrooms.

We maybe used 1% of those three candles lifespan and I think my wife has twenty of these things!

34. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Guide

Blog Posts:
    How does the jug not melt?

LostViking likes this.
  35. geojag

geojag Scout

Blog Posts:
    Around here, a lot of Hispanic food stores will have tall glass candles with religious motifs on them. If you can find unscented ones, they burn a long time and are cheap (like $1-2).

Young Blacksmith likes this.
  36. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    After the Jewish holidays, you can get these religious candles in jars for five dollars a case.

37. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    On candles, I personally like the stick or taper as they give off better light than a pillar or tealight. However I have children and I have bought led lights but the funny thing is when I buy one and after testing it I go back to buy more, the store doesn't carry them no more and to buy them online is way over priced.

GOD Bless you and your families

Kenneth