1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Good tent for canoeing under 200$.

Discussion in 'Paddling' started by Duncsquatch, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yep that's the question I don't usually use a tent but my wife does and she will be joining me. I don't really know anything about tents the only ones I have owned are cheap Coleman's.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Winterhorse and Haggis like this.
  2. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What's wrong with cheap Coleman's as long as you can carry it in your canoe and keeps you and wife dry when set up ashore? For the past 5 years I have a small Coleman dome (4 person) and large Coleman (10 person) cabin tent both set up permanently for 3 months every summer in all weathers and sun at the lake for overflow and grandkids without any problems. If they should fail next summer or any time after I'll just spend about $240.00 and replace with same. If your brand conscious it's hard to beat the iconic Eureka Timberline 2 person ($189.00) or 4 person ($239.00) models but keep in mind they aren't made to the same standards as my 1981 4 person Timberline which is still in use.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  3. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In the $200.00 range Coleman makes some nice tents, they are heavy but since you are not backpacking the tent I would not hesitate to go with Coleman. I have retired my 1983 Eureka due to a mishap with water, I didn’t realize the tent had been exposed to water while in storage due to a leak in the basement, tent was ruined due to mold and I was sad. Eureka makes great affordable tents and that was my go to tent over the years. Have not really found a tent that has the size and features of the beloved Eureka, all of the tents that I have bought to try as a replacement for the Eureka tent have minor irritations in the actual use regardless of price.

Haggis likes this.
  4. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Odds are much of your canoe camping will be in the warmest weather which is bug season, so I’d pay more attention to good bug mesh windows and doors than I would overall weight and fancy aluminum shock corded poles and other features that add cost but no value to your application. A nice self standing dome tent, with fiberglass poles would be my choice; lots of them in your price range.

REI and EMS did have tents with their brand name on them at one time. They usually had pretty nice features and decent prices; often they’d sell their remaining stock this time of year at steep discounts too. Might be worth a look if one of those stores is in your neck of the woods.

tabasco_joe and Haggis like this.
  5. Haggis

Haggis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This summer I've been using a Nemo Losi three person tent, a bit more than $200, but a great lightweight, easy to pack, easy to erect ent.

Used tents at yards sales might be a cheaper alternative.

Last Fall I bought a used, but in perfect condition, Eureka Timberline 2-person tent; I gave this $20-ish purchase to a Granddaughter.

Just last Saturday I bought a new in the box Coleman 9'x7' 4-person tent for $10 at a yard sale.

Many canoe outfitters sell high end tents for cheap in the Fall; used, but in good condition.

werewolf won likes this.
  6. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:

Add Campmor to the season ending sales possibility. I bought a Big Agnes one man tent a couple weeks ago that they discounted from $249 to $189. Cabelas is also worth checking out. They carry their own brands and many name brands.

Duncsquatch and werewolf won like this.
  7. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That is true lots of store brands are really nice tents, and I'm sure made by quality makers who does brand named tents.

8. Fiddlehead

Fiddlehead Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have the Kelty Trail Ridge 2. It has a lot of headroom due to the third short pole that pulls the side walls almost vertical. I paid around 140.00 on Amazon a few years ago. It also comes in 3 and 4 person sizes.

Duncsquatch likes this.
  9. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Scout

Blog Posts:
    I live in a town that is the Center of poverty for my state all the yard sales around here have junk and baby clothes...lol I have to drive to a better town to have decent yard sales.

10. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Coleman does not make tents. They buy them from Eureka and other makers. The do sell some very inexpensive models from who-knows-where, but even those work well in good weather. I have a very old Coleman badged Eureka Timberline 4 that is a very good example of a famous makers craft. For a pup style tent, it has tons of room and is well made. One thing about pup style tents is that they tend to ventilate well. I got it for $40 off C-List. A new TL-4 is over $280. There are some updates, but essentially, it's the same tent as I have. The better Coleman's deserve a look.
    IMG_3117_zps0e46d640.JPG

11. packhorse

packhorse Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
  12. grendal

grendal Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sitting in my tin can, far above central ohio
    alps mountaineering lynx 2, from amazon.
    or the REI half dome 2 plus, which is on sale during major sale times, around $150.

Duncsquatch likes this.
  13. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks that looks decent.
    Anyone have experience with the eureka Midori 3.