Gophers...what do you do???

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by sweet trav, Mar 29, 2017.

1. sweet trav

sweet trav Guide

Blog Posts:
    I need gophers gone asap!

Redoing our backyard and starting our garden and these pests need to go.

Thanks for any help!
    T

insector likes this.
  2. adkwalker

adkwalker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A good air rifle will dispatch with little noise.

3. 1Jesster

1Jesster Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  4. GrowlingBear

GrowlingBear Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My buddy had a major gopher problem at the house he recently bought. He bought these traps from Amazon and they worked great. He had success with them both baited with peanut butter and non-baited. Good luck!

insector and sweet trav like this.
  5. teotwaki

teotwaki Scout

Blog Posts:
    Have fun!!

Oni, insector, Bridgetdaddy and 2 others like this.
  6. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use standard leg hold traps.

insector, Dandaman and sweet trav like this.
  7. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Get a cat. It is so much fun to watch a cat vs. gopher fight.

insector, Subdood and sweet trav like this.
  8. sweet trav

sweet trav Guide

Blog Posts:
    That would be cool...I just dont like cats...dog person, ya know...but maybe the neighbors cat can come eat them. ;)

insector and Lichen like this.
  9. hunter63

hunter63 In Memorium

Blog Posts:
    5 gal plastic bucket...6" water in bottom.....pour out bag of sunflower seeds and let float.....tree branch leading up to it.

insector, Subdood and sweet trav like this.
  10. sweet trav

sweet trav Guide

Blog Posts:
    That sounds neat!

They'll come out and climb the branch?

insector likes this.
  11. hunter63

hunter63 In Memorium

Blog Posts:
    Or you can bury it...more work....
    Found this...give yiu an idea how it works....

insector, Dandaman and sweet trav like this.
  12. TheGeoSquirrel

TheGeoSquirrel Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You can get a length of flex exhaust hose, hook one end to your lawn mower exhaust, put the other end down one of the gopher holes, fill up every other hole you can find with dirt, fill up the mower with gas, fire it up and let it run till it runs out of gas. It should take care of most of your problem. If you find more gophers just repeat the process.
    It is not the most environmentally friendly method but it works pretty well. I know several people who have done it with good results.

13. justinspicher

justinspicher Scout

Blog Posts:
    I shoot them with my bow.

14. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Go to a feed store and buy 2 gopher traps. Fool around with them until you know how they work and how to " set " them. Now get a piece of paracord about 3 feet long and tie one of your traps to one end, and the other trap to the other end. Your traps are now ready to use. Get a garden trowel and find the freshest pile of dirt the gophers have made. Dig this pile of dirt out, 6-12 inches down, and a foot or so around. Now get a stick or long screwdriver ( I use an old arrow) and start poking around the inside of your hole horzontally, looking for a soft spot. When you find it, dig it out with your trowel. You have now opened up one side of the gopher's tunnel. Poke around with your screw driver and try to find another soft spot and dig the dirt out until you've opened up the other side of the tunnel. It's important to open both sides of the tunnel because you don't know which side the gopher is in. Now set one of your traps and put it as deep as you can into one of the tunnels. Set the other trap and put it into the other tunnel. You are done setting the traps. Gophers hate to have their tunnel open so it won'be too long before he comes to close up the hole. That's when the trap gets him. Come back in a few hours and see if you caught him by pulling your traps out by the paracord. The trap normally kills quickly, but in case it doesn't, tieing the traps together keeps the gopher from dragging your trap away down the tunnel. Once you've caught a gopher in one hole you will have to repeat the process at another fresh dirt pile, catching them one at a time until you've got them all.

15. Togus

Togus Echo of the Loon Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I went to Tractor Supply and bought a set of have-a-heart traps. You get one large and one small. I used the larger trap. Baited it with carrots and loose leaf lettuce. Relocated the animal down the road a few miles.
    I have neighbors on all sides except one and discharging a firearm so close to dwellings is a no-no. Couldn't use my bow for the same reasons. They are quite aggressive when caged! Toss a blanket over the trap to settle it a bit for transport.

insector, trailhermit and sweet trav like this.
  16. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    When I was a wee lad my gramps paid me 25 cents for each gopher I trapped out of his fields. I was one gopher trapping little dude. I used Victor traps like these. They worked really well and provided me with good pocket money. I took it very seriously, ran my trap line twice a day, morning and night, and eventually worked myself out of a job.

JohnP

Huey, insector, gila_dog and 3 others like this.
  17. geologist2

geologist2 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The spring traps Gila dog mentioned work the best I have found. That and several cats on the property will usually keep them in check. Not eliminated just reduced in numbers.

Also I am not sure the gophers especially pocket gophers will be caught in several of the previous posted "traps". Marmots and other similar ground dwelling rodents spend appt of their time above ground. Pocket gophers do not except to briefly move dirt out of the tunnel they are working on. At which a pellet gun or 22 comes in real handy.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    insector, gila_dog and sweet trav like this.
  18. Dandaman

Dandaman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you can figure out how to set them, these work well:http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/WCSGOPH.html. Just find the hole below a fresh mound with a rod like gila dog said, dig it out, put traps in, put hardware cloth or cardboard over top, put dirt back over top of hardware cloth and there you go. Also remember to stake any trap you set as there is always a chance of it not killing the gopher or a bigger animal getting in it.

19. RDROgers

RDROgers Scout

Blog Posts:
    Jack Russell Terrier.

20. haunted

haunted Guide

Blog Posts:
    explosives always work and theyre fun.............................

insector, Bridgetdaddy and sweet trav like this.
  21. zman1967

zman1967 Scout

Blog Posts:
    as a kid we would chase them in into the extension of a downspout from the gutters. Then tie a bread bag or sack on the open end and lift the tube and they would fall into the bread bag.

At our cabin I put the kids on them with sling shots or air guns.

22. .356luger

.356luger Scout

Blog Posts:
    I usually just shoot them with a rifle if they are in a bad spot i chase them in there hole and sit on a bucket behind it for 20 min motionless. They poke their head out to investigate and wammy game over

Oni, insector and sweet trav like this.
  23. Edgeman

Edgeman Scout

Blog Posts:
    There are two types of cats. The indoors cat that just lays around the house, and the outdoors cat that actually works for a living. Those are the best cats because they can take care of your rodent problems.

24. Stone

Stone Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have two lines of defense. One is "deterrent" the other is "biological control." Here is one of my biological control agents.

redtail hawk 3 small.jpg

Two of the redtail's assistants are coyotes and gopher snakes.

But since I have a never-ending supply of pocket gophers from the empty acreage next door we have begun laying 3/4-inch hardware cloth (galvanized mesh) under every earth moving project we do as a deterrent. We are currently lifting sod from an area with fruit trees and currant bushes and will lay down the mesh before we cover it with mulch so that the fruit gets the water and nutrients instead of the grass.

Huey and insector like this.
  25. sweet trav

sweet trav Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ive had a lot of success with a simple water hose...I just look for the freshest dirt/hole and stick the garden hose down it (or use the hose to find the hole in the dirt mound) and then let the water flood them out...so far, over a few weeks, Ive killed probably 10+ and we are getting our yard back!

...and the yard is getting watered too!

...once I get them out of the hole its a shovel, stick, or rock to the head and they are done.

insector likes this.
  26. sweet trav

sweet trav Guide

Blog Posts:
    ...got 3 more today...

Huey and insector like this.
  27. TRYKER

TRYKER Guide

Blog Posts:
    FIRST, GET YA LICENSE TO KILL GOPHERS FROM BILL MURRY !!!

insector, designtom and Stone like this.
  28. Stone

Stone Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I recommend this as well. It's one-stop shopping since he has a well-stocked munitions center, with claymore's, tripwires, parachute flares and other things to make July 4 memorable in your neighborhood.

insector likes this.
  29. junkpile

junkpile Scout

Blog Posts:
    I grew up using these traps:
    https://www.amazon.com/P-W-MANUFACTURING-CO-DK-1-DEATH-KLUTCH/dp/B0002YV6F2

And we shot a lot of them. And smoked them out.

The only thing that was a long-term effective solution was having a dog that hated them. We had a Springer that hated all forms of those critters, including chipmunks and ground squirrels. For some reason, he left tree rats alone. And now, my folks have a crossbred pitbull that carries on the legacy. I don't think they have much problems, but they show up periodically.

With those death clutch traps, we always just dug the mound to the point where you could find the tunnel, and then tucked them in there. Be sure to flag and stake them, or they'll pull them into the hole.

Memories are coming back now... I was just remembering catching large bull snakes and sending them down the holes of some of the smaller burrowing critters. My old man had a favorite snake that he had named "Herman".

sweet trav and insector like this.
  30. insector

insector Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hardware and Ranch and Garden stores sell pocket gopher bait with bait tubes that you push into the tunnels and release the bait. works well for me. They also sell gas cartridges that work when you light a fuse and push the cartridge into the tunnel and then plug it with newspaper, but that is more for ground squirrels..........

best regards

sweet trav likes this.
  31. Stags Crest

Stags Crest Crafty McBushcraft Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Best thing for gophers is .243 Winchester from a comfortable spot and some good company.

32. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Gophers sound like weekend recreation compared to moles. Moles rarely exit the burrow so don’t plan on shooting them. Smoke bombs, LARGE firecrackers, mole traps, propane, water, loud music, and poison peanuts don’t work (tried them all). I did drive them off for a while by putting weapons-grade insecticide on the yard but that kills the insects AND the worms in your yard. They eat grubs and worms and the worms are good for your yard. Neighbors suggested napalm.

I finally just moved to Texas.

33. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You're taking the wrong approach, fatten them up on a garden patch just for them, wait for the right time and put them in the freezer, they are great in one pot meals, cooked in the crock pot, sautéed in butter, olive oil, with salt, pepper, and garlic, put them in a taco or a wrap, they are vegetarians so the meat is fine to eat, don't look a them as pests, think of them as MRE's. :4:

34. Robedsubset

Robedsubset Scout

Blog Posts:
    Live trap and relocate....or shoot them

35. Toytech

Toytech Scout

Blog Posts:
    22 cal air rifle , nitro piston ones are very quiet and great for shooting pests out the bedroom window . Way more fun then trapping .

36. Akela

Akela Scout

Blog Posts:
    Moles are easy. When they bump the dirt up, the load of shot bumps them right back down, and finishes them.

37. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    Ha. My dad went to war with a gopher in down town San Jose CA. at the rental property was in. He was a Gardner and knew many way to eradicate the underground vermin from his clients places. However, one feisty resilient critter was eluding him successfully in his own back yard! None of the conventional mean of trapping were working. One day he had to break out the heavy arsenal! A little bolt action .22 loaded with .22 CB caps! (Being in downtown San Jose CA. firing off any firearms was heavily frowned upon) he took up a strategic position behind the beasts liar, and waited. He had watched his garden disappear beneath the ground for the last time! Target acquired, (It's huge nose made an appearance above ground) Shot released, and that was the end of a 1lb gopher terrorizing his garden!

38. Ullr-North

Ullr-North Scout

Blog Posts:
    I drive the jeep up beside the hole, attach an old vacuum cleaner hose to the exhaust pipe, stick the other end down the hole turn on the engine and gas them. If there are multiple holes I'll put a piece of plywood over them to block the other exits. Has worked well for me as long as there isn't a huge tunnel colony.

Note - we don't have many groundhogs here but mainly ground squirrels/prairie dogs.