GoPro advice

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by JosephDurham, Feb 2, 2019.

1. JosephDurham

JosephDurham Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In June we are getting to head back down to Tennessee, this year for Danica’s birthday. Going to take in some awesome hikes and really looking forward to it.

I got to thinking about getting a GoPro, but I’ve never messed with anything of the sort. I’m wanting it for the trails. I don’t want anything fancy or outlandishly priced.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

CivilizationDropout and Haggis like this.
  2. seasonofthewoods

seasonofthewoods Lost In the Woods Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I had the gopro 6. Retunrned it when I heard the 7 was coming out. And never ended up buying the 7 lol

They are awesome , versatile and durable.

I just dont do enough to justify such a expensive camera. And when I am outside I try and avoid using techy stuff for the most part.

3. scottmm2012

scottmm2012 1 Peter 1:20 Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Depends on what the purpose is for? I have the very basic GoPro Hero 2018, it has everything I need for basic video shots but I find that a simple point and shoot is more than I need. The GoPro stills are not that great. If you intend on videoing a hike, be sure to have sufficient batteries (~2 hr endurance) and mircro sd cards (64 gig @ 30 fps gets you about 4 hrs). External storage to handle all the data for your editing.

4. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Definitely get extra batteries and decent SD cards. The GoPro site actually has a list of different cards do are known to work well with their different models. To save some money you can get an older model, but if you go that route, I'd stick with the 3+ series and up. Those can be found for around a $100 with accessories or a bit more. If you wanted to spend some more than you can get into the newer models. You should be able to get a 4 series for mid $100$. I only have experience with the 3+ series myself. They didn't have the newer models out when I bought mine.

Here is some sample stills from mine. These were pulled from videos and not in camera mode. The first still is obviously in wide angle. I don't recall which version (black or silver) these were taken with.
    GOPR0263_1503603734084_high.JPG

0C33DF4E0C1C60A743B0C04804CCD59F-1.jpg

GOPR0292-1-2.jpg

GP010283-1.jpg

GP020283-1.jpg

GOPR0286.jpg

5. JosephDurham

Blog Posts:
    Anyone else?

CivilizationDropout likes this.
  6. JosephDurham

Blog Posts:
    Well, after much research, hundreds of videos that I’ve been watching, numerous pictures, I bought the new GoPro Hero 7. It should be here next week. That should give me plenty of time to familiarize myself with everything for June’s trip to the smokies.

The only thing I have left to purchase is a larger memory card, an extra batter, selfie stick, and a clip for my backpack. I’ll wait till I receive shipment confirmation before I make those purchases. No since I’m wanting to play with everything when the main tool hasn’t arrived.

7. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Make it 2 or 3 extra batteries and I'd get an extra card.

8. JosephDurham

Blog Posts:
    Well the one I’m looking at has a charging dock and comes with 2 batteries.

And I will most likely get an extra 128 memory card.

Usingmyrights likes this.
  9. Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just bought a Go Pro Hero 7 black yesterday evening (2-7-2019). The sales folks at the big box store said it was a very easy camera to use. I'm still very enthused about the purchase and now engaged in the learning curve.

To start with the enclosed instructions is a folded card with 6 illustrations of how to set up your Go Pro. No detailed descriptions just illustrations. Not wanting to break anything it took me a good 10 minutes just to get the camera off the mount it was on. And probably another 30 -40 minutes getting it out of the mount, installing the micro sim card and battery. I brought up the manual from Go Pro's web site on the 7 Black. I'm not sure, but I think there are differences between the various "7" models. I don't know what those differences are but be sure to bring up the manual for the color "7" you have.

It mentioned a warning somewhere I read to charge the battery with a 5V 1 A charger. I didn't have one so I had to charge the battery from my PC. I have several 5v chargers for the various devices I have but none at 1A so while waiting the 2 hours for the charge I ordered on off the bay. The online manual for the black 7 (I think), mentioned that the 5v 1a charger was used for nearly all GoPro's, but, then in ( )s it said except for the 7 series which 5v 2a charger could be used, which I have. Now GoPro makes a super charger (2a)with extra battery which is $50. I have plenty of 2a chargers, plus I have several portable battery banks which will charge the 7 while out in the desert or back country.

After charging and fiddling with the unit most of the evening I was able to do some recording. On a couple of occasions I was able to review those recordings on the camera but I don't know how I did it. The learning curve continues.

Oh yeah, When you get your camera it will have a film photograph of a sea turtle over the screen. It is precisely fitted. It hampered my learning the whole evening because I didn't know if it was supposed to come off or part of the internal screen image. I didn't want to use a knife or sharp tool to dig around the edges being afraid to maybe scratch the screen. Finally I was able to lift a tiny edge of a corner and peel the protective film off of the screen. DUH!

I would imagine by now there are several of you out there thinking what a dummy I am about electrical device. Hey, I'm well into my 70's and born into a time when things more simple.

The stabilization of the camera is very cool. Using your voice you can record and give instructions to the device. It only has 2 buttons on it. One for the shutter and one to power it up and change the 3 modes. You don't have to use the power button to record. It records by pushing the shutter button or by voice. Which is cool when you want to record an animal, UFO or what ever. All other options are accessible only from the touch screen. That seems to be my biggest challenge in learning.

good luck!

'drif

10. JosephDurham

Blog Posts:
    @Desert Drifter thank you so much for posting about your recent experience with your new GoPro.
    Mine should arrive next week.

There are three different versions to the hero 7, black, silver, and white. The silver and white are ok, but only 10mega pix, while the black is a 12. Also, the black one is the only one of the three that has a removable battery, the other two are fixed. That was the big decider for me in getting the black over the other two. There wouldn’t be much advantage of using it for a hour or two and then having tons too for a hour or two to recharge the whole thing.

Gopro plus, is $4 a month and offers unlimited storage of all our GoPro pics and videos, and will also get you 50% off accessories. (I’ve been doing my research ;) )

If you get the chance, share with us a photo or video that you use with your GoPro. I would love to see it. Can’t wait to get mine!

Desert Drifter likes this.
  11. JosephDurham

Blog Posts:
    Here is a good video I watched last night on time lapse films:

Desert Drifter likes this.
  12. Desert Drifter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks JD. That's a good one. I know I'll review that site and video again. Well this morning I learned how to record, review videos at will. Everything is touch screen. Learning and remembering what the icons are for will take time. I downloaded GoPro Quik to load my videos to my pc. When I inserted the address into my browser some 3rd party sites came up and the address I took from the manual did not appear. So I went directly to gopro.com and down loaded the app directly from gopro. After that loading videos to my pc is a breeze.

I then tried to email my test video of my cat to my wife from my pc but the short 15 second video was over the 25 meg limit of my email server. :2: Something else I'll have to figure out.

The water proof door/latch to connect cables is removable and seems frail. I know its probably not but it would be a very important piece of device to loose.

'drif

JosephDurham likes this.
  13. JosephDurham

Blog Posts:
    May be a better idea to start a small YouTube channel to send links to and upload them then you could send them. Not sure yet, as I’ve not gotten mine.

However, I just received confirmation that mine has been shipped!!!! So now, time to start looking at SD cards to get, and battery backups.

14. Desert Drifter

Blog Posts:
    It seems that trying to upload a video to a thread from my files is more challenging that learning GoPro. I've purchase the supporter package and have been stumbling around trying to start an album but failing. I'll keep trying. I really don't want to start another "photobucket' type site for videos only to have them all held hostage again.

any help would be appreciated.

'drif

Lichen and JosephDurham like this.
  15. JosephDurham

Blog Posts:
    515C3307-D11B-4415-8100-3B14FF4CED49.jpeg
    Mine came in today. I just finally got to sit down, get it all setup, screen protectors on, and taken a few photos and videos. The smoothness of this camera just while walking is unreal. There’s no jolting of the footage as you move or anything. Seems so nice.

isme and Desert Drifter like this.
  16. JosephDurham

Blog Posts:
    I’m not quite sure just yet @Desert Drifter give me a day or two to really play with it and I’ll see what I can figure out.

isme and Desert Drifter like this.
  17. sledjockey

sledjockey Skookum's Bro Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I picked up a 5 Black about a month ago and have been doing a lot of pet cam video. I have the mount for my dog and then let 'er rip while throwing tennis balls for him..... That is some great entertainment.

The video is great but sound needs some work at times.

Editing is where I have run into issues. The Puppy Vision I have captured has been my test ground thus far. We will see how it all goes.

Good luck with your GoPro!

Lichen and Desert Drifter like this.
  18. Desert Drifter

Blog Posts:
    Nice looking accessories JD. I really like the screen and lens protector. For the travels by foot and Jeep through the alpine deserts of Colorado I would like to protect my GP from the dust, rain and wind. Even though the GP is water proof rain, snow and dust still has to be carefully removed. The surface of the roads and trails I get on are inches deep pulverized pumice and dirt. Choking dust when dry and slicker than grease when wet. Even in an air tight vehicle you would be amazed on how the dust gets on everything.

On posting a video. I think it will have to be through the services of a video hosting provider. Some are free while the others require joining and a monthly fee. I really don't want to get involved with that. I have years of photos being held hostage by a well known site already. And I really don't think I would post that many videos to may it worth while. Making a commitment to contract to post a few videos a year will not work for me. I think in the future as forum boards will eventually be able to host videos along with membership.

'drif

19. JosephDurham

Blog Posts:
  20. Desert Drifter

Blog Posts:
    I am. The wife is getting the hang of it. I've played with and learned some of the editing features. The grandkids like it. The only real challenge I have is being able to upload a short viedo. All around my haunts in my desert camp there are really nice trails, canyons and wild life. I always thought it would be cool to post a videos of traveling around. I just have to make a decision about if I want to join a hosting and which one.

Hope about you JD? I'll bet your a pro GoPro by now.

'drif

JosephDurham likes this.
  21. JosephDurham

Blog Posts:
    Drif,
    You should really look at using YouTube in conjunction with the GoPro. I have and it has become much easier then I thought it would have been. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpF-0Gs3yB5EzmhNMFl-G6g
    I haven’t gotten to get out and use it outside of the home, it has done nothing but rain here. I was hoping to take in a trail tomorrow but according to the weatherman, we are going to have significant rainfall.
    I have learned a lot of the tricks with time lapse videos and time warp videos, all from watching videos on YouTube. I haven’t had a chance to play with the night mode yet though.