Got a cruiser on the way

Discussion in 'Axe Mob' started by possumjon, Dec 2, 2017.

1. possumjon

possumjon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It'll be my first, hope it's a good one! No brand is on the head but I'm hopeful as it has ridges on the eye like true tempers!
    s-l400.jpg

Zunga, Ptpalpha, Muleman77 and 5 others like this.
  2. Sticks N' Stones

Sticks N' Stones Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Nice Find! I've got a Collins homestead cruiser and the thing is a slick chopper, I could easily cut through 16" seasoned red oak and pop out half inch thick sushi plates with it, just a word of caution even on the edge with the steeper grind the edges are still really keen so it can get small nicks easier, just be mindful with both sides when chopping near the ground. Oh and if you have straight grained wood you can easily split it with the grubbing edge if you got good aim, I would regularly split 12" diameter sections of red oak that were 24" long with one clean stroke in the center, trick is to swing it like a golf club when splitting axe cut wood.

Muleman77, Holmesmade and possumjon like this.
  3. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Youre gonna love it. I really like the way cruisers swing. They're just plain fun to use.
    I'd say I use them less than other axes, but when I do...........:4::4::4:

possumjon likes this.
  4. possumjon

Blog Posts:
    I'm hoping I do! Paid a bit more than i normally would but it looks well hung and figures it'd save me time anyway. Hoping i like this thing! I hate losing the pole but I figure I can cut a piece of wood and pound in stakes easily. Can't wait to see how she swings!

Sticks N' Stones and Muleman77 like this.
  5. Sticks N' Stones

Sticks N' Stones Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yep that's what I thought as well, I developed a philosophy with incorporating a Cruiser axe for long-term living in the bush as a primary working axe, combined with a good hatchet and a utility, and carving knife. Unless the wood is REALLY clean I usually just use the steeper grind side for chopping and splitting, the hatchet is really for stuff like carving and splitting kindling and carving, plus it's got the pole, but in the sense of carving if your cruiser as a keen enough grind and a shaving sharp edge you can easily use it for carving, it's a real useful axe. Anyway Bring a good hatchet with you and when need be for splitting wood crank out some wooden wedges and pound on them with it. That's the only downside to a Cruiser axe is splitting wood, granted you can split a 15 foot log with it by following a crack, but they definitely split some species better than others, and takes a little different technique think accuracy way over power.

Oh and one more thing, get it tuned right and it'll without a doubt chop well out of it's weight class. Sorry for the rambling btw.

Here's some nice footage of a guy carving a spoon with a cruiser :)

Elgin and possumjon like this.
  6. possumjon

Blog Posts:
    Got it in today and bucked a long from a tree I dropped a while ago. I keep it around to test new cutting tools :)
    Preliminary results are it really throws chips! I was surprised at how poorly it split though. I still have to take it to the woods to test out but it seems nice, although the handle is quite thick. The double sure does swing different!

Sticks N' Stones and Muleman77 like this.
  7. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I think you'll find that they aren't the best axe for splitting, although you can get it done. Best if its not stringy or knotty wood.
    The wrist flick can help, but it's a thin light axe so......only going to get so much there.
    Still, they're great for what they're made for!

Sticks N' Stones and possumjon like this.
  8. Don Robison

Don Robison Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Nice one, I love the way the cruisers swing. I have a Sager Chemical and a True Temper.