Got a knife last week Ihave wanted for over ten years...

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Cwlongshot, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    When I was a boy I always liked and longed for a knife like my grandfather had. His was a case, straight knife. I believe from sometime in the late 40's to early 1950's built. Stacked leather handle, silver pommel ALA Marbles Maine knife. but the blade had a deep belly and protected point and a deep and wide groove as wide as a large thumb on both sides. Upon my grandfathers passing some years back, his knife was left to my lil brother.

Many companies made this knife as I have seen KA-BAR, CUT-CO, CASE and Camillus. I am sure that there have been others.

This was a eBay buy and the knife arrived a lil rougher then I expected, but I was happy to get it and happy with the price paid.

I have "lost" auctions bidding on this knife many times. Most of the time the knife crested $200 and its simply not THAT rare for me to need to spend that. But this one was a surprise, (Maybe other saw the issues) But I got this one for under 100. The problems are with the handle. I did remove the pommel and clean check threads and re install... but it is not right yet. I think maybe it really needs a new handle. The leather is pretty good actually but its loose. All discs turn a little and because of it, the knife shifts a lil in the hand.

For those who might know, can I just disassemble and glue re assemble? I don't know if these leather discs where glued or just installed...

CW

EDIT: Here is the knife.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Timex

Timex Guide

Blog Posts:
    CW, that is an awesome knife. I have been looking, albeit not seriously, for a quality stacked-leather handled knife about that size. I really like them. If you don't mind, what criteria did you enter to begin you search? Thank you.

savage99nc, central joe, DomC and 2 others like this.
  3. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    Get some black or red felt (or what ever color you want). Make some epoxy micarta about a popsicle stick thick and put to either end of the handle material (behind the gaurd/bolster and one infront of the pommel) then screw the pommel back on.

PM me if you want a proceedure.

4. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Congrats on the find.
    I've got an old Camillus that is similar, but not quite. It's handle shifts a little bit, too. Or maybe it's the guard.
    Looking forward to the replies.

5. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've been addressing the same issue from a different approach . My Marbles Ideal has the same issue . I figure after so many years the leather has to be dry . So my first approach is to treat the leather liberally with conditioner . Then placing the entire knife in the sun to heat and absorb the treatment . Two days in and it's still soaking in pretty good allbeit slower . This leather in my particular case was thirsty . 10 minutes ago that handle was heavily slattherd in condioner . Now its almost soaked in again .
    IMG_20181009_134809932.jpg
    I personally feel that treating the leather just like you would the sheath needs to be addressed first . I'm not sure to what degree it will expand with moisturizing but I know it will . Dried leather is brittle on any account ?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  6. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Is your blade a 4" ?

7. Jonah L. Archer

Jonah L. Archer Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    ^^^^ this is where I'd start.

8. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    The blade is over 5".

Thanks guys the handle doesn't look dry. But I like the idea I will start there.

I also like leather handles allot and have a few knives. Mostly bought when looking for this one. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CW

PMSteve, savage99nc, Madwell and 11 others like this.
  9. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    I just clicked "CASE KNIFE"

I just did it and lo and behold this is my Grandfathers (My brothers now) exact duplicate knife... I guess its a Pilots Knife...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-Pilot...h=item41f017cf90:g:ufgAAOSwDcZbu8SK:rk:7:pf:0

CW Here is another,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ca...h=item3b1ed8690d:g:howAAOSwg31ahZMb:rk:6:pf:0

10. Bax 40

Bax 40 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Contact @ slysir, he has several and can make a sows ear look like a diamond!

11. riokid87

riokid87 Scout

Blog Posts:
    If the tang rattles inside the handle its likely the leather discs have dried out and shrunk inward. If you slide the handel off you could shim them to tighten them up. However, 1 the leather is degraded, 2 it looks like this shrinkage has left the grip unsmoothed (or whatever the right adjative is), 3 THIS EXACT KNIFE didn't belong to tour gf so the sentiment is for this model not this particular knife. If it were me I'd make a new handle. It requires patience but is not extraordinarily difficult. I can tell you how if you're interested. 1539111187422631902399.jpg

savage99nc, Madwell, Jim L. and 4 others like this.
  12. mtngunr

mtngunr Scout

Blog Posts:
    if washers not kept in perfect original orientation, you will have a mess on hand...

Adding a matching spacer front, and then rear, if required, is the fix....do NOT epoxy until sure of spacer needs/access....plan on regrinding handle to smooth it back out after removal, to not be caught off guard if required...

Soaking generally will not tighten things as expansion on old leather and spacers is minimal in thickness, but ribbing of washers can become more pronounced as it expands in the unwanted direction.....

I have filed back tang shoulders to tighten handles by a thread or two....with no other work required...

13. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Not sure where/if the conditioner is doing as hoped but the leather is sure soaking it in . This can't be a negative ? If the leather swells in the wrong directions I guess shaping will still be in order ? I'll keep everyone up to date as I progress with this attempt at a solution .

14. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    I thought I remember reading somewhere that they did not recommend a leather conditioner on leather handled knives. Something about making the leather soft/supple when it's supposed to be hard.
    I could be wrong. Or what I read was wrong.
    We'll find out.

15. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Same handle posted earlier after sitting a few hours in direct sunlight . It absorbed all the treatment ?
    IMG_20181009_165544163_HDR.jpg
    Edit: Sorry didn't realize the picture didn't post earlier .

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    savage99nc, Madwell, Jim L. and 4 others like this.
  16. riokid87

riokid87 Scout

Blog Posts:
    What conditioner are you using? I use snow seal and a blow dryer to heat the leather slightly melting the sno seal into the leather. Or I just put super glue on the handle after I'm done shaping. Super glue is quick and shiny, like a polyurethane or varnish on wood. sno seal retains the natural leather feel. I like the snow seal best. Its bees wax primarily. Awesome stuff for leather boots. In my other post w pic the one on l is ss right is sg. Key is to wet and compress the leather disc and use a new or leather only sanding belt. Wood and metal from sanding other things really embeds into the leather and messes or dirtys up the handle. I'm sure others have their techniques but for me this works .

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  17. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Mine didn't appear to be dry as the Sahara either . Second day in and it still soaking it in readily . Today's last treatment went real slow . I'll try another tommorow just to see how it goes . I might even try pretty heating the leather via hair dryer and see what happens . It definitely decreased movement noticably in the up and down movement . I'll check back tomorrow with possible updates .

Cwlongshot, Madwell, Jim L. and 3 others like this.
  18. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Been using this stuff a while .
    IMG_20181009_190940717.jpg

19. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I added a copper spacer to mine. It’s a user and not a collector.
    4814101B-50EB-484D-AD84-BBC1E0467251.jpeg B79B229F-55ED-46B6-AD01-206A6B4F7832.jpeg

20. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just got a copy of this same knife, myself. The pommel has a nut in the center, and you can just unscrew it to take all the handle material off, and then you can add spacers to it to build it back up, or just make an entirely new handle.

The old leather ain't gonna swell back up, no matter how much neatsfoot oil you soak it with.

21. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Tracker

Blog Posts:
  22. slysir

slysir Guide

Blog Posts:
    What you have is a Camillus 5679 L36. First order placed on 06/19/1942 for the "Emergency Sustenance Kit".
    Ref: Frank Trzaska

Yours has some blade wear at the tip but still a nice knife!! :dblthumb:

All you probably need to do is tighten the nut as tight as you can, then grind off the "proud" tang. Sand it smooth just like you would if it was wood. Reapply conditioner, wax and buff.

[​IMG]

Here's an example of what can easily be done...

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

-John

23. mtngunr

mtngunr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Again, if pommel interior butts onto a tang shoulder, to prevent rotation, if he simply tightens the nut, he can strip or snap off tang...take any shoulder back a thread or three before simply cranking down...

Madwell, SmilinJoe, Jim L. and 2 others like this.
  24. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Tracker

Blog Posts:
  25. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So this is in a sense a predecessor to the "bolt knife" then?

savage99nc and Jonah L. Archer like this.
  26. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    You know, I've come really close to getting a bolt knife. And after I dug out my, what I called a Camillus but now know is a Ka-bar made by Camillus, I said to myself, "Why do I need a bolt knife when I have this?"

27. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thank you everyone!! WOW, great tips and advice!

Slysir WOW I am impressed you know exactly what it is! For me, its a representative copy of my Grandfathers CASE Pilots Knife. I will attempt top improve it.

I have tightened down the nut and it surely proud of the surface, altho the handle is slightly tighter, its not right. I would like to make this right.

CW

slysir and Jonah L. Archer like this.
  28. Timex

Timex Guide

Blog Posts:
    Jonah L. Archer likes this.