Got Walnut?

Discussion in 'ozarkhunter - Metamorphosis Woodworks' started by ozarkhunter, Feb 15, 2019.

1. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I made the drive yesterday to my walnut supplier, about 2 hours east of Springfield, MO. It's a 10 hour round trip drive, but worth the drive for me. This mill does over 2 millions board feet of walnut per year. All they do is walnut.
    20190214_133319.jpg
    Here is a pic of the log yard. The logs are "de-barked" just to the left of the piles of logs. All of the bark and sawdust from milling are burned to fire their drying kilns. One of the drying kilns can hold 70,000 board feet of wood at one time.
    20190214_140118.jpg
    This picture gives an idea of the scope of one of the storage sheds. This is all kiln dried and sticker stacked walnut. The building is a quonset hut shape... a long, half round (domed) building. This pic is about midway from one end to the other. The left side not shown in the pic is as deep as the right side and stacked as high with walnut lumber.
    20190214_135329.jpg
    Nice fiddleback walnut board - 1 1/2" thick, 8" wide and 7' long.
    20190215_075218.jpg
    Random piece I pulled out of the back of our SUV. I picked up 110 board feet of off-cuts like this. The stuff I bought was all 1" thick stock, and most of it in the rough. This piece has feather grain down the length of the board, about 16" long and a bit over 6" wide. This batch should last me until next year sometime. He had about another 600 board feet (board foot is 1"x 12"x 12" ) of this kind of stuff available. sigh... It almost hurt to leave such fine wood there. I wanted to give it all a good home. I brought home as much as my wallet and my SUV would allow.

Jeffa, MichaelBear, PLackey and 27 others like this.
  2. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17- Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Boy, HOWDY.

ozarkhunter likes this.
  3. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    If you look closely at the top stacks beyond the divider in front of the gentlemen in the second picture, you can see black spaces. These are gun stock blanks. These are kiln dried very slowly due to their high figure, then ends coated with a dark wax-like coating to reduce any end checking as they sit and wait for shipment. The foreman told me the orders for gun stock material is cut up to 2 years in advance of an order shipment. This allows selection of material as they process logs/wood. Unfortunately one gun maker changed the dimensions of their required wood for shotgun pump/fore stocks after they had 13 pallets of blanks cut, dried and stacked. I picked up a few of those 3"x 3"x 8" blocks for turning deer grunt calls.

JeffG, Zunga, Zaveral and 1 other person like this.
  4. wannabee

wannabee Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    yea here in the MO area walnuts and walnut lumber is one of our biggest exports. We have a bunch of big mature trees on our farm.

JeffG and ozarkhunter like this.
  5. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    This supplier actually ships in from 4 states. I know he said he gets wood from MO, OK and IN.. can't remember the other state. I can remember in the 1970's cutting firewood with my dad where a new interstate highway was going in around the Gladstone area of MO. We cut walnut trees that didn't have a limb for 20' up the tree... for firewood. I can't imagine the amount of money we could have gotten for the logs for lumber rather than cutting and splitting it for firewood.

HardBall and Kreger like this.
  6. travis.winegar

travis.winegar Nearly a Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'd wear pants made of walnut if I could figure out how to move in them. It's by far the best looking wood anywhere as far as I'm concerned. That looks like heaven.

Zaveral, ozarkhunter and Kreger like this.
  7. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lots of walnut in my neighborhood, I've had some limbs from a cutting operation that I had rough cut for me.....made a few knife handles and have a few more projects in mind.......I like walnut too....

8. Zaveral

Zaveral Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Is there any chance you would share with me the name of the place. I only live about 4 hours east of Springfield and could use some walnut!

ozarkhunter likes this.
  9. A K Church

A K Church Guide

Blog Posts:
    I live in MO, and agree we have a sh*t-ton of walnut trees. But so help me, when I went to college in Ohio, I think the town I lived in was just as dense with them.

10. Craig Brown

Craig Brown Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I did busines with Midwest Walnut a few years back out of West Plains, MO. They have a big facility. Great company to do business with.

ozarkhunter likes this.
  11. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    This is at Willow Springs.

Zaveral likes this.
  12. JeffG

JeffG Scout

Blog Posts:
    Dayum! I love a piece of purdy wood.

13. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The WILD suburbs of Morris County, NJ, USA
    Wow!! I've never seen the likes of that! Thanks for giving us a little virtual tour!