Gp100 match 10mm

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by dougx, May 15, 2019 at 3:36 PM.

1. dougx

dougx Scout

Blog Posts:
    I picked up my gp100 match 10mm. I haven't shot it yet but the double action trigger is as nice as my older Smith and Wessons. Single action isn't as nice but usable. Spoiled by the older Smiths.
    I'm going to change the grips to rubber altamont. Might change the front sight to red. I'm going to try the green first. It weighs 8ozs less then my 5" K frame and 12ozs less then my 5" redhawk so it should carry nice. I'm debating reaming it to 10mm mag. I have a 357mag,44mag,45lc and other 10mms so I need a 10mm mag. I found a place to rent a reamer. I don't think it would be hard but I might be under thinking it. Has anyone reamed their own cylinders before?
    Doug

2. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Can't help you on the reaming question, but I think I'd give it a try with some Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman loads before I changed anything. In fact, I'd think, being a revolver, there would be a lot of options for handloading I'd want to explore first, as well.

I'm curious to see your review after shooting it some. That revolver is currently at the top of my "to buy" list.

Wasp likes this.
  3. Wasp

Wasp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yep. I wouldn't ream it unless thats the caliber I planned to shoot all the time. No reason you cant buy or build hot loads for it. My opinion anyway.

4. perdidochas

perdidochas Guide

Blog Posts:
    I think it would be a foolish DIY job to do, unless you're an experienced gunsmith. You have 6 times you can fail with that operation.

FreeMe likes this.
  5. Wasp

Wasp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lots of people do it themselves (I wouldn't). On singleactionforums one guy bought a reamer and they did a passaround like we do knives here. Lots of takers and lots of people did it, as far as I know, everyone successfully.

Personally I just buy guns in the caliber or power I want, although I know not every gun comes in every caliber. If I did go that route I'd still rather have it professionally done.

FreeMe likes this.
  6. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wolf springs and a little stone work made a big difference with my GP100 trigger.

I am in the process of switching out my green Novak front sight for a Dawson Presicion. The stock green dot was to course and wide for my liking as I like to shoot and longer distances.

Cwlongshot and Huey like this.
  7. xRangerx

xRangerx Woods wandering bird nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    dougx, Cwlongshot and Mjolnir like this.
  8. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Asking out of ignorance, having no experience loading 10mm......
    IIs there a need for more case capacity in the 10mm to reach the magnum velocities?

9. dougx

dougx Scout

Blog Posts:
    You gain velocity. Don't know if it is necessary but just wanted.

10. RJM52

RJM52 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Have had the same gun since they came out about two years ago...they are a great shooter to say the least... Back in the day it would have been the perfect LE revolver...

As to deepening the chamber to 10mm Magnum...why... From a 4" barrel you are not going to get much more velocity for the amount of muzzleblast and recoil you are going to experience... Try some of the heavy bullet 200-220 grain loads from Buffalo Bore or Underwood and see if you want anymore recoil than that..

Jeff Quin did so however...

https://gunblast.com/Ruger-GP100MC-10mm.htm

..and also...you may experience ignition problems in 10mm with the standard Ruger moon clips if you do. I recently tried some .40 S&W in mine and had a lot of misfiires as the headspace is very sloppy. In 10mm the case is headspacing on the case mouth and the clips just aid in ejection. Supposedly Ranch Products have thicker clips that will make .40 S&W more reliable. There have been others who have had no problems shooting .40s... You want to take that chance...

Bob

scottman likes this.
  11. RJM52

RJM52 Guide

Blog Posts:
    "At first, reliability was one hundred percent, with all three types of ammunition tested. There were no failures of any kind, and extraction only got slightly sticky with a couple of different 10mm Auto loads. Later, after lots of rounds through this sixgun, the moon clips were becoming distorted and very loose on the cartridges. At that point, I started to get an occasional failure-to-fire. Having no new moon clips, I had to make do with the three supplied with the revolver, and the more use they got, the looser they got, and misfires increased. I tightened up the clips a bit, and that helped, but did not completely solve the problem. I think that new moon clips will return the Ruger back to one hundred percent reliability. Moon clips do wear out, especially with a lot of use, but they are inexpensive to replace. I intend to try some thicker moon clips from T K Custom in the future."

I have made it a point to shoot only one of the Ruger provided moon clips in my GP...have several hundred rounds of ammo through the gun with zero misfires using 10mm ammo....

Bob

12. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Load it to the original specs for the 10mm and you will not need to ream it. You can blame the FBI for the downloading of the 10mm