GPS Apps

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by BradGad, Oct 16, 2018.

1. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So, I didn’t know this: you don’t need cell service to use your phone as a GPS device — a very good one, in fact — provided you download the maps you need ahead of time.

http://www.adventurealan.com/iphone-gps-map-backpacking/

Good article, lots of info.

Maybe too much info? Turns out there are a ton of apps for backcountry navigation.

Just about all are subscription-based, and I don’t want to sign up for all of them to choose a go-to.

Does anyone have recommendations for a backpacking GPS app?

EDIT - Well, I went ahead and subscribed to GAIA GPS Premium with the discount link in the article. Will share thoughts on the app when I’ve been able to give it some real world use.

I’d still like to hear others’ reviews and thoughts though.

And I still love my compasses... very much doubt I’ll ever hit the trail without one.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    UAHiker, Lichen and JV3 like this.
  2. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ive heard caltopo is good, but its california based so I dont know if their eastern usa coverage is as good as there western coverage.

Luke from youtbes "outdoor gear review posted that his favorite app is alltrails. I don't remember where but its not the first time I've heard positive things about them.

Both of those apps are targeted at hiking.

I personally use a combination of Map and compass and google maps in satellite mode. I'm an old boy scout that learned how to use map and compass before civilians had access to GPS LOL. Google maps totally spoils me.
    I can say that google maps usually doesn't denote trails though. I find the trails on the paper map then spot the trails on the satellite imagery like aerial reconnaissance. then I scutinize back and forth between the two until I know exactly where I'm going, its slower than how some of the kids do it but it works.
    *Side note* You can look at pastures and fields on google satellite and spot trails that animals use in the field so if you can spot that you should be able to catch fairly frequent glimpses of where you are on a trail map.

3. rocketbomb

rocketbomb Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've been using Gaia GPS for a couple years now and really like it. I tend to do trip/hike planning on CalTopo on my desktop though.

grey mouse and BradGad like this.
  4. Luchtaine

Luchtaine MOA #22 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    For iPhone there is an app simply called topo maps. Has all the USGS quads available for free download and works with your phones GPS. I got it for free at the time. I think the app is like $7 now. But it’s a one time cost and free from there on out.

5. plue

plue Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use maps.me app for both hiking/backpacking and traveling abroad. Free to use and you can download the maps you need over wifi to use without data.

BradGad likes this.
  6. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've been using Gaia for a couple years.... works fine. For battery conservation purposes, I just use it to spot check location against a paper map, or even PDF/photo maps on the phone. Running GPS constantly can eat battery. I also use a Inreach, which has its own Bluetooth link to a smartphone map app (Earthmate) - at least this is way more battery efficient than running the GPS off the iPhone.

The App I really want to use, but will have to wait til I upgrade my phone (I'm still on an old iPhone5 with 10.? iOS) is Avenza Maps. Apparently, this app can use any downloaded PDF map that has proper coordinates printed on the borders - the app will then use the smartphone GPS to transpose your postion onto that map. I was on a dual-sport (motorcycle) ride in VT and the guy leading had this app with local town PDF maps (the only maps that identified all the class IV unimproved public roads) - I couldn't believe how he was finding all these great trails to legally ride on - we kept bushwhacking though tall weeds to find great trails on the other side. Should be great for hiking and boating where might be able to get much more detailed maps/info from the local park/forest/etc.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    BradGad and JV3 like this.
  7. justinspicher

justinspicher Scout

Blog Posts:
    I’ve been using this same app for the last few years. Works good.

BradGad likes this.
  8. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    I also use Gaia. You can also save a map of the area in offline mode from google maps to your phone and use that.

UAHiker, Birdman and BradGad like this.
  9. vdeal

vdeal Guide

Blog Posts:
    Gaia user here also with the pro package. Love it. You can layer any number of types of maps. The best out there in my opinion and I've used several. I do keep Maprika for specialized maps and a few others. BTW, to the post about Caltopo. It isn't an app but an online mapping service and coverage is the same for all parts of the country as long as the base maps exist. I use it a lot and even download tracks from it that I create to Gaia.

BradGad likes this.
  10. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    I just save Google maps, and also use On-X when I'm hunting.

GunGoBoom and wisconsinwalter like this.
  11. wisconsinwalter

wisconsinwalter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    F29ACECC-21A3-470F-BC15-9385ECAE294F.png 5024CED2-4D4E-4D21-AD5A-9D4CD7AEBE7D.png
    I want on-x but settled for ScoutLook free version. It is a tracking app with abilities to mark locations on a route.

Also Wisconsin has a DNR app for free that also has track back features.

So to the OP, I would check your state Dnr or the state you are hiking in

12. zerk

zerk Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Not saying any better, but been playing with huntstand lite. Since cell signal is so bad, it is not all that useful. But I like the it keeps track of stands and you can look on sattelite image.

I also have Polaris, but have not used it alot.

For map guys, you can have more than one tool in your tool box.

My camp has 10' of maps on the wall. But where I hunt it is heavy bush. So sometimes all the good it will do you, is if you walk for a few miles you will hit something. Maps do not tell you where you are. Maps are good for showing you the big picture. But again, you may have to walk for miles to take advantage of that.

BradGad and wisconsinwalter like this.
  13. zerk

zerk Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What I would like is good programs for converting putting my trails from GPS on to a map. Probably could go to a GPS forum if I really wanted to. I have ordered most of the maps for my area. But the trails often are not shown, or not as far as they go.

One thing I enjoy is finding or reclaiming those old trails that do show up on maps, on my sxs. If we don't they will be lost to time. I believe the government wants that.

Been lots of rain, but I should make a pass before winter. Easier doing it now than on sled.

Staleym, BradGad and wisconsinwalter like this.
  14. vdeal

vdeal Guide

Blog Posts:
    To move your GPS trails to a map just export as .gpx preferably (.kml will work but not preferred) and then just import them into Caltopo. Easy peasy.

rocketbomb likes this.
  15. Mannlicher

Mannlicher Guide

Blog Posts:
    I just don't trust cell phone GPS.

Staleym likes this.
  16. vdeal

vdeal Guide

Blog Posts:
    Staleym and BradGad like this.
  17. zerk

zerk Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Not like you are doing a moon landing. I don't use it mark where I leave bodies. But to get a basic idea of where I am and a trail, it seems to work.

I use a regular GPS quite a bit. I have an Oregon 450 with a map for my state.

Staleym and BradGad like this.
  18. bkduckworth

bkduckworth Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I’ll second the “Topo Maps” app for IOS users. It’s super simple to use and for the price of one paper quad sheet you can download quads of the whole country. It’s usually accurate to within 30 feet or so. Sometimes I’ll pair it to a Bluetooth GPS receiver. Here is the one I’ve been using: https://bad-elf.com/products/be-gps-2300
    It’s a bit more accurate, and acquires signal more quickly, but the best thing about it is on longer trips it saves my phone battery. I can keep my phone on airplane mode and only have the Bluetooth turned on!

I’d like to note that I don’t trust any of these devices completely and always carry a topo map of the area I’m in and a compass.

Brandon

bp93yj, BradGad and Torrin like this.
  19. vdeal

vdeal Guide

Blog Posts:
    @bkduckworth, not sure why you're using a Bluetooth GPS receiver. Doesn't your phone have built in GPS? BTW, Bluetooth will suck down a battery faster than you would imagine.

BradGad likes this.
  20. stillman

stillman Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Same, except I use On-X any time I'm on public land, not just hunting.

BradGad likes this.
  21. bkduckworth

bkduckworth Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @vdeal, not sure why you're using a Bluetooth GPS receiver. Doesn't your phone have built in GPS? BTW, Bluetooth will suck down a battery faster than you would imagine.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my phone has built in GPS. I use it regularly for work, and on some backcountry trips. But I have found that using gps seems to run the battery down faster than just about anything, or at least that’s been the case with the past couple of iPhones I’ve had. That little bad elf receiver weighs next to nothing and the battery life is great, even after several years. I typically will still keep my phone in airplane mode most of the time, and just connect it to the receiver to get my location as needed. As always ymmv.

Brandon

BradGad likes this.
  22. vdeal

vdeal Guide

Blog Posts:
    @bkduckworth, putting an iphone in Airplane mode does not disable the GPS chip. In fact I don't think you can disable the GPS. In airplane mode the phone won't continuously search for a cell phone signal but the GPS will still work fine. You will not get assisted GPS but then again a regular GPS unit won't either. I'm thinking you're using the Bad Elf when you really don't need to.

23. bkduckworth

bkduckworth Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @vdeal, thanks for that information! I've been using my phone in such a manner for the last 7 years or so. I'm not sure why I had it in my head that the GPS wouldn't work in airplane mode, perhaps just an assumption that I never challenged. I'll definitely experiment with some options to see what works the best. Thanks again.

24. vdeal

vdeal Guide

Blog Posts:
  25. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I have been using MotionX GPS on my iPhone -- https://gps.motionx.com/

it's free and will store tracks and waypoints, it tracks elevation and speed, etc., it will even interface with a heart rate sensor. it's a big step above Google Maps and the like...

26. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Gaiagps for six years now; it’s the sole reason I purchased a smart phone

quality camera + gps in a 5 oz package = :dblthumb:

Roamer likes this.
  27. Juany118

Juany118 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use three actually. For the AT (I am only about an hour from it I PA) I use Guthhooks. It shows not only the trail bit also campsites, shelters and water sources. It also has reviews of the various sites by other users as well as telling you how much it is to the next water source in the description of a location.

Right now I am testing both Gaia and Alltrails. They are both pretty similar for most practical purposes, and Gaia has a cheaper yearly subscription. The one thing I think Gaia has thats better is a "guide me" function. Basically it creates a straight line course to a location you choose. It basically like using the line on your screen to navigate cross country like you would using a compass and picking a tree or land mark in the distance. It goes so far as to provide eta, distance and heading.

That said Alltrails has a feature I am really digging. I can link my Garmin Connect account to it so I don't have export/import files like I have to work Gaia, it just automatically populates after my watch has uploaded the data. It also does a more accurate calorie calculation since walking and backpacking are different in that regard, Garmin defaults to walking. As a data geek (and consideringconside and backpacking as a workout) this is useful to me. Alltrails also has, imo, a more friendly user interface and a good search feature in the event you are looking for new hikes.

As such between those two I would say it depends on your purpose. Go with Gaia if you are headed to the backcountry, Alltrails may be a better choice for you though if you primarily go on blazed trails.

BradGad likes this.
  28. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    when I purchased Gaia there was no subscription, just $7.95- I must be granfathered in as it still works like it did when I got it :4:

29. that_guy

that_guy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Has anyone here used the On X map system designed for hunting? Wondering if it's worth the price over Gaia.

30. J Stephens

J Stephens Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've tried a few (Gaia, Alltrails, Backcountry Navigator, and View Ranger)

Among Long distance hikers, Gaia is the app of choice. However, in the UK View Ranger is the choice. That said, View Ranger works extremely well in the US.

Personally, I use View Ranger, because it is just more aesthetically pleasing than Gaia

I do a fair amount of hiking in remote areas without cell service, one and two, I use the phone in airplane mode to conserve power. The GPS works flawless and is independent of cell signal. It is satellite based.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  31. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    if you are hunting a lot of interspersed public and private lands and want to insure you are where you want to be, it's probably worth it- in the eastern part of Montana, we have a lot of checkerboarded public/private lands- so very useful there

also you might want to check Gaia as I thought they were coming out with a similar deal with land ownership on their maps

32. vdeal

vdeal Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you have the Gaia Pro package there are multiple map layers available including private property parcels and you can overlay them.

mtwarden likes this.
  33. castle22

castle22 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ive only use Avenza maps. It’s a free app and
    all USGS topo maps can be downloaded for free. The app shows your location on the topo map, I especially like this because I can print the paper maps (free also) and plot where I think I’m at and double check with gps.
    In addition to the USGS maps there’s a bunch of free maps you can download, like the forest service’s MVUM (motor vehicle use map). There’s a little bit of a learning curve to finding the maps you want but other than that it’s a really solid program.

Blackhillz likes this.
  34. bp93yj

bp93yj Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I've been experimenting with All Trails and it seems to work well. I like the feature that brings up nearby trails with ratings and pictures that people have submitted.

35. Juany118

Juany118 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Found another little feature I like on it. The ability to put in POI's on the track, such as water sources, usable camp sites etc. and written descriptions.

36. Roamer

Roamer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just used Gaia for the first time on an off-trail excursion and was very happy with it. I'm using the free version and it was more than adequate. Good topo maps, and I was able to save waypoints that will really help me explore the area more in the future. Like others, I wouldn't rely solely on something like this. And I'm mostly a Luddite when it comes to this stuff. But it was a useful tool.

37. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    Same. I've been using it for several years and couldn't ask for more.

It works on airplane mode and without cell reception.

38. Blackhillz

Blackhillz Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've started using Avenza maps as my Delorme GPS has died. So far I like it and it's pretty dang accurate, I like that I can just make a PDF off of my Caltopo maps and go. I'll have to look into the USGS maps for it.

39. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I went with Gaia and it’s been fine so far.

40. GunGoBoom

GunGoBoom I'm not lost, I've just misplaced myself. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I just found On X this year and it's great. I'm in the Missouri Ozarks and the Mark Twain National Forest is mixed in with private land all over the place. I find that Google maps is a surprisingly reliable option when I don't need to see property lines.