GPS help?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by JEB, Dec 14, 2012.

1. JEB

JEB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Where would anyone look for help learning how to use a GPS. I would really like trying geocaching BUT I am kind of technically challenged. I stopped by our local backpacking store and asked the only if he had any thoughts of a GPS seminar this winter and he said, NO.

I am a hands on learner when it comes to things like this. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jon

2. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Etrex legend hcx was my first. Very easy to learn. Geocaching is the best way... no class needed.
    Welcome to the addiction... lol enjoy!

3. Pat1973

Pat1973 Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you dont have any gps club of any kind near by,i would go on youtube,lots of information there,and also geocaching.com.

4. JPAZ357

JPAZ357 Scout

Blog Posts:
    get on the geocaching com website and join the forums. There are regional sub forums there and I bet you can find someone local who can help!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

5. EdD270

EdD270 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Check out nearby sporting goods stores, especially REI, Cabelas, sportsman's Warehouse and BassPro Shops. They often have half-day classes on Saturday or sometimes weekday nights, that teach about GPS, and also map and compass and other topics.
    Also ask around your local community college and the State Game & Fish agency, who also often have classes on GPS.
    At least around here they do.
    When you get a GPS, it will have an instruction book. Trust me, it's to your advantage to read it carefully, and then read it again whil doing things it describes with your GPS unit. That will save you a lot of head aches and shorten the learning curve. Don't ask how I know.

6. Gunns357

Gunns357 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    GPS

Buy and work with Topo maps to learn where you are, then before long you will be plotting points on topo, good way to learn gps. Practice practice practice

7. AncientNCO

AncientNCO Tracker

Blog Posts:
    There is a book called Geocaching by Erik Sherman that will give you tons of info on the activity. Not only geocaching, but basic compass and map skills, safety and equipment.

I agree with trying to find a local geocaching club near where you live. It's not all that hard at all. Phone & GPS have paperless caching apps to make things easier. Wish I was there to help out. I enjoy teaching it more than actually caching any more.

8. Sides

Sides Guide

Blog Posts:
  9. salty dog

salty dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lots of people, me included, figured it out by just reading instructions and jumping in. But for hands on help the best thing is to log on to the geocaching site (it's free) and look for local events. There will be people there that live and breathe the game and they will be glad to help. A lot of places have an intro class a couple of times a year and they are tailored exactly to help begineers in the game. I'm not sure if this is the best time for that in Michigan, (snow makes it tough) but I'll bet they have enough events that there will be one close to you soon. If you give me a general idea of your location I can look one up.

10. JEB

JEB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks to all that took time to reply during this time of crisis in our country.

We have no major sporting outlets near by and that is why I went to our local backpacking store and asked them. I was kind of surprised when he said NO class was plan because no-one in the store uses a GPS.???

I will check out all suggestions that has been sent and again, thank you

11. AncientNCO

AncientNCO Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Jeb, Your books are on their way!

12. JPAZ357

JPAZ357 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey man, I am by no means an expert when it comes to land nav and geocaching but I can give you a hand with GPS info if you want, shoot me a PM or email, or gtalk (jason @wildertrek.com)

13. RM_Rambler

RM_Rambler Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If your still looking for try checking out your local community college or outdoors/sporting group. My local CC offers a couple of classes ranging from intro to GPS to geocaching. Also, not sure whats in your area but groups like the Sierra Club, Ducks Unlimited, Mule Deer Foundation and anyplace that does hunters education courses usually does GPS classes too, especially as it gets closer to deer/elk season.