Grand Teton, Yellowstone and Glacier/*Cancelled*

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by dads2vette, May 2, 2019.

1. dads2vette

dads2vette Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    ***Edit starts here***
    Well the truck died and I decided it was better to cancel the trip instead of rushing into a decision on a vehicle just to make the trip on time. I doubt I'll have to wait 2 weeks to find a vehicle but I won't have much time to "rest it out" in order to make the trip.

To make myself feel better, I started planning a fourth try at this and have booked Roosevelt cabins for 3 nights 6/12-15/2020...makes me feel a little better.

dave

Well, I leave in 24 days. I hit Grand Teton on May 29 and get to Yellowstone on June 4 and Glacier on July 1. I start heading back home on July 6 or 13 depending on how I feel. After a great deal of research I am seriously considering stopping in Grand Teton on the way back as I seem to have short changed this park. Only things that may throw a monkey wrench into that part of the plan is the increased visitors in July and the need to be on my homestead after almost 2 months of camping.

I'll not be spending the whole time camping, I do have 5 nights scheduled in hotels. Two nights in Red Lodge at the Hotel Pollard, two nights on the way up to Glacier and one at Many Glacier Hotel, one of two splurges on this trip, On July 6th. The other splurge is a guided fishing trip on Yellowstone Lake.

I plan on doing as much hiking as my body allows...this is going to be limited. Seems no matter how much I have increased mu stamina for hiking my back and legs just won't cooperate. There will also be some fishing in streams, lots of picture taking and even more flora and fauna viewing. I'm guessing there may be some beverage drinking as well.

This is the pre-made, frozen food I'll be bringing chili, pulled pork, BBQ ribs, tacos. I'll also bring raw frozen meats like sausages, hamburgers and meat balls. Fresh veggies will be good for a week and I'll be near towns to pick up whatever I have a hunger for...like maybe a salad:18:. Lots of bannock mix and oatmeal for breakfast, let's not forget the bacon for those "sit around camp" mornings.

I figure I'll make coffee in the evening while sitting around the campfire and keep it warm in the thermos for those early morning jaunts to the hot fishing spot, sunrise picture op or fauna photo shoot. That would be a great time to heat up some water for oatmeal or make some bacon and eggs over the twig stove.

If anyone has any ideas or tips I'd love to hear them. What's a great camp breakfast that's sure to make the other campers jealous? Maybe you have a secret or favorite spot to fish in one of the parks that you'd like to share?

dave

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Bobsdock, Octavian, fixits and 16 others like this.
  2. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lamar Valley is a great spot to see for fishing and wildlife. Getting there could be a bit of let down since the Bear-tooth Highway might be the most amazing route in the USA.

Red Lodge is a great place to do some shopping if you plan on doing any. Shopping in the park is pricey and all the Yellowstone gift stores are basically all the same.

The Slough Creek campground is great for a day or night. Right by the water, you will almost certainly have a great time there.

There is so much more that I could tell you but part of the fun is exploring the surprises on your own. Take plenty of pictures! :dblthumb:

3. fixits

fixits Noble Savage Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Love Red Lodge! Harley trip every year over the Beartooth Pass . Make sure you find time to do that. Have a beer at the Snag too.

Lots of moose in the back country, keep an eye out.

dads2vette and M.Hatfield like this.
  4. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    I plan on spending quite a lot of time in Lamar Valley. I did forget that I have one night in a Roosevelt cabin after my 2 nights at Hotel Pollard so I have a better chance of getting a first come first camped spot at Slough Creek. Not a big fan of shopping. I plan on grabbing some dead branches that may be on the ground, outside the park, to carve. I do that whenever I travel, makes great souvenirs.

Beartooth has been on my to do list for years. I was considering bringing my '81 vette along on this trip to take that drive and then later in the trip another to do list item, Going to the Sun Road. I've camped out of the vette for 2 weeks but 7-8 weeks seems a little long. I may just try this 'beer' thing you mention.

I am familiar with the open container laws in the NP's...for some reason.
    beer.JPG

dave

fixits, Lichen, FIELDCRAFTLTC and 2 others like this.
  5. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Slough Creek is a perfect spot to avoid large crowds. Bears, bison and other large mammals are common there. I've also seen fly fisherman in the creek at differing times of day.

A couple summers in a row the campground was closed because of wild fires. I hope you can avoid any of those troubles. Have a fantastic time!

fixits and dads2vette like this.
  6. dreamin

dreamin Scout

Blog Posts:
    Following for comments. Headed there myself in a couple months.

M.Hatfield and dads2vette like this.
  7. curtiseddie

curtiseddie Scout

Blog Posts:
    We'll be in GTNP June 1st! Then headed to Yellowstone, after. Can't wait.

The only "drag" is having to pack for the extreme temperature range.

M.Hatfield and dads2vette like this.
  8. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    I'm lucky enough to have plenty of space in the truck for extra clothes but I have a nice selection of clothes I can layer. Here in the high desert it's the norm to have 30 degree swings a day and 40 degree swings are common. Keeps the house cool for most of the day in the summer...A/C helps at night.:dblthumb:

dave

M.Hatfield likes this.
  9. Andy 315

Andy 315 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Going to following this as well. Wife and I are headed to Glacier on June 10 for 2 weeks. We plan on heading up to Banff and Jasper as well. Be safe in your travels.

blind & lost and dads2vette like this.
  10. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    I updated the first post

dave

11. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Man, I am sorry you had to cancel. I hope I am around next summer to watch!

12. blind & lost

blind & lost LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Sorry for your disappointment, when it happens it will be better.

dads2vette likes this.
  13. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’ll be there at mammoth hot springs same time. Good time to be there as the tourist season starts more fully the following week. There is nothing bad to do but as mentioned Lamar Valley is beautiful. Make sure to hit the NW entrance and pass under the Roosevelt Arch. The Beartooth via Cody is an all day trip but not one to miss. The Buffalo Bill museums are in Cody as well. I would leave there and go north to Glacier being later in the month will increase the chances of the Sun road being open. Stay on the east side of Glacier for less wind, and easier access to services. Not much outside the park to the west except Browning and it’s not a place to hangout. I’ve been to both places and each is beautiful and in different ways. Do take the time to travel the less beaten path around the west side of Glacier to Polebridge and Bowman Lake you won’t regret it. Ask questions if I can help I will. The Many Glacier Hotel is so beautiful it’s amazing. Last time I checked in the forecast on the desk advised 70mph winds and near freezing temps the following day. They did not lie...... this was mid September.

dads2vette likes this.
  14. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    Heck, I'm hoping we'll both be around.

I had a night booked at Many Glacier Hotel this trip. I'll try to get something next year as well, maybe two nights if I save my quarters. I'm also going to rearrange they stay a bit and add a couple days in GTNP. I did have 5 days planned there this time.

dave

15. curtiseddie

curtiseddie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to here that. That's a total bummer! I can imagine your disappointment.

I'll have a beer, for you, out there in a few weeks.;)

dads2vette likes this.
  16. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    Oh yeah! make sure to take pictures and post it to rub it in!:dblthumb:

have a great time
    dave

curtiseddie likes this.
  17. curtiseddie

curtiseddie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Rub it in time.
    This trip was amazing! I had been to Yellowstone as a child, but this was my first time at Grand Tetons. If you are thinking of skipping GTNP, DON'T. It is the most majestic place I've seen in my 41 years on this planet. I've traveled to many National Parks/Forests out west. This place moved me. When we left to head to Yellowstone, I wished we had another day.
    DSC_0127.JPG 20190601_165710.jpg

This was my attempt at recreating Ansel Adams, famous, Snake River photo.
    20190605_080835.jpg
    Jenny Lake
    20190602_101323.jpg
    Hidden Falls
    20190602_110424.jpg
    Dinner with a view!
    IMG_20190601_190705.jpg
    The Grand Teton, 13,776'
    DSC_0085.JPG

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Winterhorse likes this.
  18. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    Glad you had a great trip. I can't see the photos on my phone(take too long to load) I'll check them out when I get the laptop back.

I've got a week in GTNP planned then 3 in Yellowstone. I may stay an extra week in Yellowstone then head back to GTNP for another week before heading home.

Dave

19. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For some reason I cant see your pictures.

20. Jason in ID

Jason in ID Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Darn. Sorry you had to postpone it.

21. curtiseddie

curtiseddie Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't know what happened. I couldn't view the pics either. I think it's corrected, now.

Note: I had to be selective. I have way too many pics to share all of them.

22. curtiseddie

curtiseddie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yellowstone was great too. I thoroughly enjoyed sharing my geological and historical knowledge with my children.
    It started off in the Old Faithful geyser basin and exploring around there. We were, somehow, lucky enough to be in the right places at the right time to see many geyser eruptions that are very sporadic and aren't active often.
    20190604_204636.jpg
    DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0020.JPG DSC_0025.JPG DSC_0035.JPG
    The last night we were at Old Faithful, I stayed up late and went for an evening viewing. There happened to be a storm far off in the distance that gave me some cool shots.
    DSC_0054.JPG DSC_0067.JPG DSC_0071.JPG
    We did some "scientific" work, measuring the temps of some of the thermal features. The kids loved being in charge of that.
    20190605_120559.jpg DSC_0003 (1).JPG

dads2vette likes this.
  23. curtiseddie

curtiseddie Scout

Blog Posts:
    We saw more wildlife than I could have dreamed for. Each of us saw the specific animal we hoped to see on this trip. I had not expected to see to see any bears, but again we lucked out and on two occasions witnessed grizzlies. Once around dusk, maybe 50 yards from the road, a male and female out on "date" night. Then another, lone, grizzly sauntering across a mountain boulder field. It was a bit too dark for a pic of the pair at dusk and the love bear disappeared before I could snap one.

20190614_094650.jpg DSC_0022 (1).JPG DSC_0061.JPG DSC_0108.JPG DSC_0139.JPG DSC_0163.JPG 20190602_120222.jpg 20190602_112733.jpg

24. curtiseddie

curtiseddie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Grand Canyon of Yellowstone
    20190606_113955.jpg
    Upper Falls 109'
    DSC_0107.JPG
    Lower Falls 308'
    DSC_0085.JPG
    Probably the prettiest feature in the park, the Grand Prismatic Spring. The largest hot spring in the USA. Definitely worth the short hike up to view at this observation point. I would skip the boardwalk next to it.
    DSC_0069 (1).JPG

dads2vette likes this.
  25. curtiseddie

curtiseddie Scout

Blog Posts:
    The morning we were leaving the park we woke up to a beautiful snowfall. It caused us a detour out because of some mountain pass closures, but it allowed us to see parts of the park we hadn't planned on. Plus we got to go through the Roosevelt Arch.
    20190608_082711.jpg 20190608_093018.jpg 20190608_094019.jpg DSC_0147.JPG

dads2vette likes this.