Grill as internal frame?

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by hlydon, Sep 5, 2018.

1. hlydon

hlydon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have two day packs that have sleeves for water bladders, but I typically don’t use water bladders. I thought about carrying grills in the sleeves. Then I wondered if a grill would work to provide internal support. I’m going to try it out. I’ll post after I try it.

2. HK Forest

HK Forest Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Why not?
    Let see your outcome,please.

mugsy, Winterhorse and NevadaBlue like this.
  3. kronin323

kronin323 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Interesting idea. I doubt it will work to provide beneficial structural support but I could be wrong. I look forward to the results.

mugsy, Winterhorse and NevadaBlue like this.
  4. Crowe

Crowe Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a 30 liter Karrimor that used to have an alloy reinforced foam internal pad that fitted in its own pocket. I replaced it with a piece of foam sleeping mat and a wire grill towards the inside of the bag. Works well. So I now have a sitmat and a fire grill !

5. to Ha

to Ha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The sleeve works fine to hold the grill.

As for it's utility as a frame, it will provide a flat surface against your back (you'll probably want to add a foam sitpad for cushioning your back if the pack is not padded). This should be better than the cylinder effect some packs get when pad is rolled in them.

However, unless the fit is very good (how the grill fits inside the sleeve) and the sleeve extends far enough down into the pack (to the belt) the frame won't provide weight transfer to the belt.

Let us know how it works for you.

Winterhorse, NevadaBlue and Unistat76 like this.
  6. hlydon

hlydon Scout

Blog Posts:
    As you noted, I think fit is the key. I had a cooling rack that fit perfectly for one of my bags. I tested it as a frame just walking around at home. I searched online and ordered a grill that should fit well also. If I measured properly it is almost an exact fit for the built in sleeve. Hopefully I can test it out this weekend on a couple hour hike. The forecast isn’t looking good though.

7. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have a foam pad (a piece of closed cell sleeping pad) in the pocket in the back of my daypack. My dad’s tubular stainless steel grill is in there for stiffness. I want to make a pocket for the pad that includes a sleeve to hold the grill in place. Even without that, I like the way it works.

Winterhorse, blind & lost and xrayit like this.
  8. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've been meaning to pick up some small Stainless or Ti rod from my supplier to make a grill or two. I may look at doing something like this when I do.
    The Purcell Trench grills style is what I've been leaning toward making. http://www.purcelltrench.com/grills.htm
    About the only thing I would also suggest is making a slip in sleeve for the grill to keep soot from getting all over the pack. I always use squares of closed cell foam for sit pads and pack backers but a small grill would slip against that just fine in addition.

Winterhorse and NevadaBlue like this.
  9. mtngoat

mtngoat Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a small folding grill like @RangerJoe uses in one of his videos that rides in the back compartment of my Maxped falcon II. Loaded down I never feel it there.

Winterhorse and NevadaBlue like this.
  10. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looks like an opportunity for pack makers.

For years I carried a self made grill I made by bending some stainless tubing into an "S" shape. (picture an S that was stretched left to right and not very tall) This was meant to be a support for your pan, coffee pot, etc over camp coals, not so much for cooking your steak. I had access to salvageable tubing where I worked. Someone with some skill could make a grill similar that would be designed first as a pack support and secondarily as grill, I would think. Seems to me the shape for pack would be less forgiving than is shape for a grill.

Winterhorse likes this.
  11. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Here’s my pad and grill. I bought a yard of canvas today to make the pouch for this and a couple of other projects.

F0D70796-7246-4974-A836-CE01C0B134AA.jpeg

The pad fits inside the internal pocket in a Czech M60 pack. The grill will be just right to go from bottom to top of the pack as a stiffener. I think a velcro patch will keep the flap over the grill in place. I figure a sleeve that holds the pad and a pocket on that for the grill. Whole thing will slip into the internal pocket and be tied in place.

12. hlydon

hlydon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I bought a Mil-Tec 72 hour bag years ago. It’s not bad, but not my favorite. It has a large pocket immediately behind the back padding which I assume is for a water bladder.

I measured the pocket and ordered a light camping grill that fits perfectly. The grill is cheap, and I definitely paid too much, but it’s dimensions were just right.

Even when using the hip belt, the bag would tend to sit on my shoulders a bit when I was carrying any significant weight. The reason is the bag has nothing to maintain its shape. It would bend, flex, droop, etc.

Now with the grill, I can keep the weight at my waist and off my shoulders as long as I use the hip belt. I carried about 15 lbs today for 2 hours with no problems except I managed to find the only rust nail sticking straight up out of the ground in the middle of nowhere.

B3181F7A-3574-449B-B61F-61B11CF704F4.jpeg

Here is the grill in the pocket but pulled up a bit so that you can see it. The grill came with the brighter green bag.

2E8A3734-EDF5-44D8-A6BA-619A5080BEA2.jpeg

Sits off the shoulder now.

29BB2FBA-C24B-4063-B248-68A521223112.jpeg

aaronu and NevadaBlue like this.
  13. mugsy

mugsy Guide

Blog Posts:
    damn good idea!!!

NevadaBlue likes this.
  14. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, that's a brilliant "hack", @hlydon! The "frame" might as well pull double duty!

15. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    I wouldnt use water bladder sleeve as a pack grill frame simply becauae fabrice/stitching is not designed to handle stress of a metal frame
    Grill corners will probably eventually poke some holes
    I carry grills quite often
    I wrap them in broken umbrella fabric and try to place it in middle of pack
    Am currently cleaning some grills i saved from a bbq set i threw out

16. woodsranger

woodsranger Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have that pack too! Love the Karrimor. And I did the exact same thing, although my grill is a small one. I just put it in there to keep it protected.

17. hlydon

hlydon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just sand down the sharp edges on everything that doesn’t have a protective case. No worries.