Growing and Processing of Flax for Linen

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by bEaMann, Apr 1, 2019.

1. bEaMann

bEaMann Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I wanted to share this inspiring video on "primitive" linen manufacturing, starting with flax seed through to linen yarns and cloth.

This is something I've wanted to do for myself for some time; I'd like to plant a pot of flax seed and see if I can get it to grow. If it grows well, I'd like to continue the process to make fine linen cordage/yarns that could be woven into a bit of cloth. It would be an experiment, just to see if I can replicate the basic process. I'm comfortable with making basic cordage from Bush Class I; I might want to research yarn spinning as well as basic weaving techniques to take it further. It would be a huge undertaking, but eventually I'd like to upscale the project to produce enough woven fabric to make hand sewn projects such as a tunic or cloth sacks.

Have any of you done something like this? What thoughts, advice, resources, encouragement or suggestions might you have?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Luke Dupont, Hawaii, halo2 and 2 others like this.
  2. R Stowe

R Stowe Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for posting this! I bought flax seed last year and didn't plant them. It was the first year of our raised beds at the new house and the vegetables took center stage. I need to get those in the ground this year. I do know there are flax varieties for that are more suitable for seed and others that are meant for fiber harvesting. There are some simple looms you can build if you were interested making a something like that.

3. bEaMann

bEaMann Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I hadn't yet considered that there might be different varieties of flax available; thanks for mentioning that. We have whole flax seed in the house that we use in various foods that I thought I'd simply plant, but perhaps I should do more research first.

4. GBinGA

GBinGA Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have read that okra can be used for bast fiber. The process would be similar. I suspect that the fiber would be coarser. Being able to get cordage fiber from a food crop would be an interesting twist. (hey- that was a pun!)

I think that the idea of being able to make real practical working cordage from scratch is fascinating. Thanks for this post!

bEaMann likes this.
  5. halo2

halo2 Curmudgeon in Training Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'd be curious to see this.

bEaMann likes this.
  6. Medicine maker

Medicine maker Guide

Blog Posts:
    This really portrays the reality of growing flax more than any amount of reading.

bEaMann likes this.