Gsi kettle, turned upside down to fry?

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by Duncsquatch, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Has anybody ever tried this and do you foresee problems? Seems like a nice flat surface that would not get too hot because of the other metal underneath it. I assume it only really work in an open fire not with a stove or twig stove. Main thing I foresee is just not be able to keep juices on the flat surface and you're cooking drying out.

freebirdfb and central joe like this.
  2. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not saying it wouldn't work. You would be limited to a small solid object though, a small steak or piece of fish perhaps. Why not just cook in the kettle? ( We were discussing this in another thread. ) same diameter of cooking surface, no drying out or runoff, and still no more difficult to clean than a similar sized ss skillet. ( plus a much wider variety of things to be cooked, eggs, stir frys, cowboy breakfast , ect.)

Redwalker and Torrin like this.
  3. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good point I guess I was just thinking it would be easier to manipulate the object that you are frying and check on how much longer it must cook.

anrkst6973 likes this.
  4. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It might work. I'd be concerned about cleaning. Especially any soot.

I've been meaning to try toasting a sandwich on a canteen cup turned on it's side using an alcohol burner. I'd have to use a small 4x4 mesh grill, since a slice of bread it larger than the cup and the cup sides are not flat. Something like that could work well on an inverted kettle. The only difference being the fire dirtying the inside of the kettle. That's my main concern.

freebirdfb and anrkst6973 like this.
  5. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't do it. The kettle is thin metal and needs something to absorb the heat. The side walls might get damaged.

anrkst6973 and PAcanis like this.