Guide Gear Fire Cookers Help + Wood Stove

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by CharClothed, Oct 27, 2018.

1. CharClothed

CharClothed Guide

Blog Posts:
    I remembered a thread posted here a while ago about some sort of fire grill. You pound a metal pole in the ground and a rotating grill is placed over a fire. So I searched and searched and actually found something. I found one that does exactly as I mentioned above, and another one for pots and making stews. Both are listed above. Does anyone have experience with them and if so, how do you like them? Also while checking the "stoves" subject they are located on, I saw that Guide Gear has a wood stove. A nice small one actually. I was curious if anyone has experience with that because it looks almost perfect for my needs, but I wanted to make sure before I purchased.
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-campfire-swing-grill?a=1582187
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-campfire-cooking-equipment-set?a=1582189
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-outdoor-wood-stove?a=1884248#TBD

Bobsdock likes this.
  2. GoFeesh

GoFeesh Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Wow!!! That's a heck of a deal on the stove. I have no experience with that stove but for the price, I don't think it would hurt to try. The only thing I could see for improvement is adding a damper, and making sure the door has an airtight seal.

Bobsdock likes this.
  3. CharClothed

CharClothed Guide

Blog Posts:
    Lucky for you, in the pictures and description of this stove it describes having a damper and a air tight seal for the door.

Bobsdock likes this.
  4. Jandar

Jandar Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've got the swedish original (wildo woodstove), without the damper and airtight seal, and it is a great but heavy stove. and it will keep you warm ;-) and has a nice cooking surface.

5. Chadarius

Chadarius Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Be careful with that Guidegear stove! It is galvanized steel. The second the coating is burned off, and it will burn off, it will rust out very quickly. If you plan on never letting moisture anywhere near it, maybe it is worth it. Otherwise I'd look for stainless steal or titanium stoves.

I have a very similar swing over grill and I love it! I got mine on Amazon, but it looks like it is sold out at the moment. It is quite large and sturdy. I am often cooking for up to 10 people if we have guests camping with us. My campfire area is surrounded by concrete masonry blocks and the stake for the grill fits perfectly inside the concrete cut outs and helps to keep it from getting pulled off kilter with a heavy pot. I love it because it is easy to adjust and place anywhere. Its a bit heavy but it is really permanent fixture for our campfire up North so its not like I'm hauling it into a far off camp or anything. :)
    IMG_20180901_185403.jpg

SmilinJoe, WY_Not and turntail like this.
  6. CharClothed

CharClothed Guide

Blog Posts:
    Welp there goes my hot tent plans. This was the only stove the size that I could afford on such short notice (I've had all year so it's my fault) which would fit a small shelter. Good thing I haven't bought it yet.

7. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I saw that ‘galvanize’ issue too. Stoves are dead simple. You can build one that will last a while out of a big can. It will probably last a season so you can do the hot tent. Something like a popcorn tin would work.

8. CharClothed

CharClothed Guide

Blog Posts:
    Think this galvanized stove would work a weekend without any possible toxic problems?

9. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    I would burn it clean, outside and not breathe the fumes. Zinc poisoning isn’t fun and could kill you. I have felt it before and don’t want to do it again. I wonder if it is galvanized inside or outside or both? Seems very odd.

Run it hot for long enough to get it clean if you do it.

10. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
  11. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    that is why you are supposed to burn the coating/paint off, let it cool then spray it with high temp BBQ paint. it actually is a pretty decent stove for the price

camp casey likes this.
  12. plinsc

plinsc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here’s one reviewer on the stove

Big Heat in a Small Package
    Reading the existing reviews I ordered this little stove expecting just what I got. It is made of heavy gage (for it's size) steel and will last for a very long time if kept out of the elements. One note I didn't see in the other reviews; the stove is painted with a "high temp" paint that requires proper curing if you want it to last. Start a small fire and let it burn out without a bunch of really hot heat. Do this a couple of times getting hotter each time over a period of days and the black paint will "cure" onto the metal. If you just start a big, hot fire and "let it rip" the paint all burns off (like automobile headers) and the metal will rust much more. I used charcoal briquet's for easy regulation of the amount of heat. I use this stove in camp instead of an open fire. After it gets going good, it puts out a lot of heat and conserves on wood. I also find it much safer than an open flame pit. Read all the reviews on this and you will know what your going to get.

hidden_lion likes this.
  13. Mikem

Mikem Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Excellent advice on the staged burn in. The dampness and salt air have a huge factor on time to rust especially for stoves and grills. The high temp grill paint works very well to protect metal.

That’s a great price in a stove.

hidden_lion likes this.
  14. CharClothed

CharClothed Guide

Blog Posts:
    So we're talking the high temp rated for 2,000 degrees? And so that I have this right I should set this up, get everything going, and then let it burn for how long exactly? Just till the coating is off? Once that's done how will I know? Finally you just spray the entire stove with the high temp paint once or multiple coats? And I assume do the same for the stove jack?

hidden_lion likes this.
  15. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    yes burn it till the paint flakes off, a couple of hours at least. You will know when you can scrape it with little effort, you can use steel wool to finish clean it. I used two coats on my stove and pipes. You can skip the burn time by using paint remover as well, but that is messier. I don't use a regular stove jack, i use a length of aluminum tube a few inched wider then the stove pipe. i hold it on the pipe with screw twisted in just enough to hold it separate from the pipe. it stays cool even though the pipe gets hot, due to convective cooling. I have only used it a couple of time so far, but seems to be good to go...my tarp hasn't melted from it, but i am going to try making a pseudo-jack from two disposable pie plates sandwiched with a hole through the middle and see how that goes before I cut a hole in my Walmart teepee.

gohammergo likes this.
  16. Mudmonkey

Mudmonkey Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I have the guide gear large wood stove in my mobile home. Works great and have had no issues with it. IMG_20181113_101208.jpg IMG_20181113_101213.jpg IMG_20181113_101229.jpg

17. Jandar

Jandar Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @Mudmonkey, how did you place those grids on the side? and did you do any other mods?

18. Jandar

Jandar Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ah, i just saw the detailed pics of this stove, i see the mount points for the grid..

19. Mudmonkey

Blog Posts:
    Only mods I did was replaced the door gasket with a better quality one.

20. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How long have you used this?

21. Mudmonkey

Blog Posts: