Guns and Bicycles

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by 2jka, May 7, 2016.

?

Do you bike with a boomstick (gun)?

Poll closed Aug 15, 2016.
  1. No

31.0%
  2. Yes, pistol

62.1%
  3. Yes, long gun

13.8%
  4. Yes, other

1.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ok guys I've been sitting on this one for a while now so here goes.

I was inspired by an add in Cheaper than dirt! to as the question: do you bike with a gun? Here's the add:
    [​IMG]

Do any of you ride your bikes while wearing a gun? If so how? If you're packing heat on your bike i wanna see those bike bags/holters
    Do any of you hunt from or with a bike? With a long gun? How do you carry that?
    Has anyone integrated this into there bug out plans?
    Any idea on what the ideal bicycle gun might be?

Apparently people usta carry all the time back in the day:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  2. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    Here are some pictures of military guns and bikes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hunting with a bike:
    [​IMG]

Pretty cool little set up. Mare's leg in scabbard tucked under the bars on the dominant hand side front fork. Would be an awesome bug out load out if you ask me:
    [​IMG]

Here's another cool onboard set up, although maybe not as practical;
    [​IMG]

Discussion, go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pastor Chris and Rogerkoz like this.
  3. CheapskateLurch

CheapskateLurch Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've struggled with this a couple ways. Generally don't make it work with a rifle. Compact pistol and bow is easier.

2jka likes this.
  4. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    How do you carry a bow on the bike?

CraigMo likes this.
  5. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Used to break down a 20 H&R and stick it in a back pack and ride out to a favorite squirrel woods 3 miles away

jstert, 2jka and Ross Howard like this.
  6. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I frequent an awesome bike path goes through some scummy areas.

I toss it up between a J Frame 442 or a S&W M&P Shield 9.
    Its rests in a really old belly band.
    Speaking of which I should really upgrade it...

2jka likes this.
  7. gila_dog

gila_dog BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I've elk hunted with a bike. I just bungied my muzzle loader in its soft case onto the frame, like the military rifle rigs in the pics above. It worked pretty well. It wasn't any quick-draw kind of a thing. I rode until I was ready to get off and hunt, then undid the bungies, parked the bike and walked the rest of the way. It worked just fine. It stayed out of the way while I was riding and the one time I crashed the rifle was undamaged.

2jka likes this.
  8. stillman

stillman Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've shared these pics before but here goes:

I used to be in a hunting club with about 1600 acres. Most guys used ATVs to go from camp into the field but I rode my bike.

12467238463_276405b7f3_o.jpg

There is a long bike path in the area that passes through a WMA. A folded Chiappa Double Badger rides in a pannier.

10933901634_950af606c9_c.jpg

10934017343_efa5d2cec6_c.jpg

Also, pistolwear.com makes holsters that are neoprene belly bands. They are great for any sort of activity like biking or running. They are impervious to sweat and hold the gun securely, even when you are active. Drawing from one is not very fast. You can also add extra pockets to the belt for your phone and other items.

2jka likes this.
  9. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Dirt Merchant Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I wear my HPG chest bag with a Glock in in a lot.
    IMG_2880.jpg

Or I'll wear my 22 magnum NAA Revolver under my shirt if its super hot outside.
    unnamed (12).jpg

2jka and brionic like this.
  10. Bucketosudz

Bucketosudz ARTISAN ATTRIBUTES

Blog Posts:
    Check out Cogburn Outdoors ( http://www.cogburnoutdoors.com/ ). They make fatbikes and racks centered around hunting/fishing. I know of several folks that hunt utilizing their bikes w/wo trailers as well as a reseeded interest in "bikefishing". Re: having firearms while riding...if for personal protection i'd suggest one keeps such on your person rather than in/on the bike. Frame and bikepacking bags can be utilized if you choose to or backpacks and chest packs are another route ie: HPG "Kit Bag". Numerous ways to go about it actually, depending on personal preferences of course...

I oft times carry Bear Spray in my Revelate Designs "Mountain Feed Bags" or in my bottle cages as well fwiw. Here is my ride and it has an infinite range of possibilities.

DSC00025 2.31.25 PM.jpg

DSCN7198.jpg

IMG_7792.jpg

SuperKramp, bobc, hidden_lion and 2 others like this.
  11. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was just wondering about the Chiappa break action guns. I wondered weather or not one might be tucked into a larger frame. That might be a cool idea.

Btw I've heard said that having the gun on the back sticking up like that makes it hard to mount and dismount. I know that I've tossed my MTB a few times by jumping off the back. How has it worked out for you?

stillman likes this.
  12. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    Man, Hill People Gear is super popular on the forum.

Thorns likes this.
  13. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Plus 1 on the S&W 442:

IM000671.jpg

I've had mine for years. Great little revolver! It fits easily into the Uncle Mike's belt pouch.

Steve

2jka likes this.
  14. stillman

Blog Posts:
    It does get in the way sometimes but not too bad. I just have to be mindful that I need to lean the bike over instead of swinging my leg.

I started off riding with the gun slung over my back, then thought about how bad it could be to wreck with a rifle across my spine.

hidden_lion, 2jka and brionic like this.
  15. JEB

JEB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Guess I would need to know why you want to carry. For protection or hunting? For protection, NO for me. My wife and I rode our bicycles across the United States self contained and saw no reason to carry. I am a retired LEO and I was asked many times if I was going to carry a weapon. Just no need to and we had zero problems our whole trip. We also rode around Lake Michigan which included thru Hammond and Chicago without one issue.

For hunting. I would look into the same thing they use when horse back riding only mount it so the stock points back. You could actually user the same system for a longbow or recurve as long it is unstrung.

That case on the bicycle is useless. It is under your hind end and behind you.

marbleman likes this.
  16. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    Which case?

And I'm with you, speed often = security on the bike.

17. JEB

JEB Guide

Blog Posts:
    The case in the first picture.

18. stillman

Blog Posts:
    Everyone has to make their own decisions regarding carrying a firearm for personal defense. Some people think it's a good idea, others don't. Ride your own ride. Personally, I do carry. My LCR is 16oz and doesn't negatively impact my ride in any way.

19. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ah, that a tool pouch. So yeah, it is useless for firearms! Ha[emoji38]

20. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Guide

Blog Posts:
    I would say as as long as it can fit in a saddle bag hanging over the rear wheels. So for me the rifle would need to be a take down.

Sent from my A450TL using Tapatalk

2jka likes this.
  21. JEB

JEB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Stillman: "Ride your own ride" Sorry I thought the OP was looking for info/insight on whether to carry or not. With 25 years as a LEO and probably 40,000 miles on a bike over the last 25 years gives me just a bit of experience with both subjects. Guess I should have just answered the OP's question. And that answer is , No not for self defense. To get to a hunting spot, yes.

22. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hey, no problem dude. I welcome all insight on the subject. I personally cannot carry while on a bike anyway. Here in NJ one must be 21 to purchase a handgun. There are also a bunch of hoops to jump through to carry. One of which is stating TWO "valid" reasons for why I might need to carry. Another is a court hearing where a judge gets to rule on weather or not he/she believes the applicant needs to carry (and as far as I know that judge's ruling is final, not appealable, and binding for the foreseeable future) Additionally, the regs for transporting a firearm requires the gun and ammo to be stored separately in the vehicle which might be impossible to do on a bike depending on the officer and his mood that day. So, firearms are kinda out of the question.

Why exactly do you think it's not necessary to carry while riding? I know that lots of people kinda feel naked on a bike so they arm up for confidence in the security. I've also heard a number of stories of dog encounters while cycling. Maybe they carry for those times. This is a discussion; let's discuss.

23. stillman

Blog Posts:
    Sorry, I didn't mean to sound pointed. "Ride your own ride" as they say on the AT "Hike your own hike."

I appreciate the fact that everyone has their own opinion about what they want to carry. A camera is part of my work so I rarely take photos for fun - it makes fun seem like work to me. Other people would be lost without a camera to document the fun they had.

Some people say that carrying a gun changes the way they feel about a trip. To me, a gun is just a thing, like a toothbrush or a patch kit. Obviously, it is treated with more care than a toothbrush but it doesn't change the way I feel about my trip.

riverjoe, 2jka and marbleman like this.
  24. JEB

JEB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well OK. Wife and I have ridden, as I wrote, across the United States, around Lake Michigan, across many other states, in Ireland, Germany, Switzerland and Austria and not once felt the need or had the need to carry a weapon.

As far as dogs go in all those miles I have been chased by a dog twice. The first dog took himself out by barking and looking at me and he ran head first into a stop sign pole. He may still be laying there for all I know. I just squirted my water from the water bottle at the second one and that stopped him from the chase.

How are you going to get a grip on a gun while riding a bike, out of breath and then shoot the gun with some accuracy? And if you stop peddling to get your gun out, then what.

I guess the next question to you is, why do you feel the need to carry a gun on a bicycle ( to hunting spots excluded)?

As I was told on here, "Ride your own ride" I guess but carrying a gun while riding is just excess weight on the bike.

I will tell you that a friend of mine was being chased by a dog and he grabbed his hand pump from under his crossbar and swung it at the dog and stuck the value stem locking device on the pump in the dogs forehead. The dog ran away with his pump. Squirting water on a dog works best.

2jka likes this.
  25. stillman

Blog Posts:

You've proven by your own post here that everyone's experience is different and each person will need to make different decisions.

You have been chased by dogs twice in your life. I am chased by dogs on a regular basis. There are many rides when I've been chased several times on the same trip. I don't know why people around here don't restrain their animals but for whatever reason, they don't.

I do a lot of exploring on the bike and love to take dirt roads. Dirt roads almost always involve a dog chase. One dirt road had a house with about 10 dogs in the yard. They all got after me and I learned just how fast I can pedal over gravel.

One of my routes goes by a house with a very aggressive, large dog. I don't know the breed but it's larger than my 60lb retriever. This is the only dog that I've wondered if I'd ever have to shoot it if I couldn't outrun it. I have pepper sprayed it on two occasions when I couldn't outrun it and it seems like the dog is starting to like the taste of Halt. I would obviously be very reluctant to shoot a dog, and can't see a situation where I would fire from the bike - but I could see this dog bringing me down and I'd like to have a fighting chance if that happens. I take a different route when I can but there are times when I have to go by this house or take a road with lots of cars and no shoulder. I'll take my chances with the meanest dog over texting drivers any day.

Here's a video clip I uploaded yesterday. This dog chases me every time I go down this particular road. It's the first time he's ever run in front of me and tried to get in my way. I have a Gopro on front of my bike in case I see something interesting on my ride. I should mount it to the rear to catalog the majority of the dogs that chase me.

[video=youtube;tHCDGym4FLI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHCDGym4FLI[/video]

26. JEB

JEB Guide

Blog Posts:
    So are your plans to shoot the dogs when they chase you is that the reason you want carry a gun? Like I wrote, a water bottle does good then you don't have to deal with the police and gun shots and possible law suits. That kind of stuff can be irritating as well.

I guess for the sake of a good discussion I will ask you, why do you want to carry a gun?

27. stillman

Blog Posts:

I don't think you're reading what I'm writing. Quoting myself:

No, I am not carrying a gun planning to shoot the dogs that chase me. There is one particular dog that has made me think I might have to shoot it in the case that it catches me and pulls me down off the bike. Meaning, that the only way I would ever try to use my firearm against it is in a last resort, and I am on the ground with it.

Firing a gun from a bicycle would be foolhardy and dangerous. The likelihood of hitting your target would be low and the possibility of hitting something unintentionally would be unacceptably high.

I carry a gun on my bike for the following reasons:
    1. I like guns.
    2. Why not?
    3. I might need to use it to defend myself.
    4. I might run into the opportunity to do some target shooting.

Other things I carry on the bike:
    4 water bottles in hot weather. I used to carry 2 but had to get medical attention for dehydration once.
    Protein bar
    A few $ cash in case I pass a gas station and need to grab a bite
    Frame pump & patch kit
    Smartphone mount
    Earphones
    Reflector vest, in case I'm out past dark
    Front and rear blinky lights
    Halt pepper spray

hidden_lion and 2jka like this.
  28. brionic

brionic Blissful simpleton Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have packed while cycling. I prefer my firearm not be seen by anyone else, for multiple reasons, nor do I wish to be separated from it. So only "on body" carry for me, which requires special focus on retention and positioning. Effective training in deployment from various riding positions is imperative.

Carrying on a bike is not the same as "transporting" in a automobile trunk-based, locked container, so have your CCL issues squared away. Also, the judicious use of lethal force question needs to be addressed. If you fire your weapon toward another person, or a dog, or even onto someone else's property, you can expect to be sued, if not prosecuted. Do your due diligence and have a series of plans.

This is not to say don't carry. Rather, be aware, get scenario-specific training, have a plan(s), and have fun.

Edit - I don't mean to come across as patronizing. You probably know about this stuff I wrote. Just make sure to do your homework with local law enforcement and both prosecutors and private attorneys.

Junkyard Dog and 2jka like this.
  29. JEB

JEB Guide

Blog Posts:
    OK, gotcha. Wife and I are different riders than you I would say. We do it more for exercise and start out the season doing 10 to 15 miles a trip and work up the 70 miles a trip by mid-summer. We are in our mid 60's and have to keep in shape somehow. We just out ride the dogs I guess. But like I wrote we don't see many or just don't pay attention to them.

Earphones ?

hidden_lion likes this.
  30. gila_dog

gila_dog BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I can see how the decision to carry a gun on your bike is more complicated than just how to carry it. True, it is just a tool, but it's a very special tool. The legal issues can become overwhelming in some places such as most urban areas. foreign countries, etc. And keeping dogs off of you isn't all that hard. When I was a kid I had a ran a paper route with my bike. The meanest dogs learned quickly that a couple hits in the face from my squirt gun (3 parts water, 1 part ammonia) really took the fun out of chasing the kid on the bike.

But dealing with aggressive criminal human beings is a completely different thing, especially when you can't simply outrun them because you have loved ones with you. There are places, like where I live, where self defense isn't so frowned upon by the law, the cops are a very few and far between, and your right, and responsibility, to protect yourself and your family is a given.

31. stillman

Blog Posts:
    Agreed, the decision to carry a firearm shouldn't be taken lightly. It's a very powerful thing and you need to be sure that you have the right mindset. If you're hotheaded, don't pay attention to detail, are prone to get drunk, etc, you need to "self-infringe" on your right to bear arms.

The majority of my statements so far have been in relation to dogs but I hope I made it clear that I don't see a firearm as a way to deal with a chasing dog. The one dog I've wondered if I might have to shoot has been outrun on several occasions and pepper-sprayed twice. If she didn't live on a hill on a dirt road, it wouldn't even be a thought in my mind because outrunning would be fairly easy.

My primary reason for carrying a firearm on my bike is because I'm often far from home on back roads and in some rough areas. The current and former law enforcement officers that I know personally are unanimous in their support of law-abiding citizens carrying firearms for personal protection. I've even talked to a couple that I didn't know very well who encouraged Wife and I to carry. Maybe it's due to where we live or the Southern, rural attitude about guns. I grew up with guns in the house. I had to write the 10 commandments of gun safety from memory before my father let me take possession of my first BB gun. I got my first firearm, a 12 gauge, at 14 and knew that a single infraction would have resulted in having it taken away.

Of course, using a weapon to defend yourself is the last thing anyone would want to do. I'd rather get away than be involved in an incident but you can't always get away. The one time I used a gun, many years ago, Wife and I were in a situation where there was nowhere to go. Showing the gun was all it took and the situation was over. I didn't even have to draw it.

Rogerkoz, hidden_lion and 2jka like this.
  32. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    So to lighten things up a bit, the water pistol as we know it today was actually invented for dog defense while riding a bike. At least that is if my history is correct.

hidden_lion likes this.
  33. RickS

RickS Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I always have guns when I go to the woods, I take them whether I am hiking or biking. I like this thread because It shows interesting ways to attach rifles to bikes. I'm building a new hunter-gather bike right now, thanks for the the ideas and photos. image.jpg

Rogerkoz and hidden_lion like this.
  34. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Are there no leash laws where you guys are encountering these chasing dogs? Personally, I'd be calling the law/animal control each and every time till the problems were eliminated. While I would be very hesitant to even think of using a firearm on a chasing dog, here in OH it would be perfectly legal to do so. Unless I'm about to get gnawed on, I'd call animal control and let them deal with the offender; they get paid to deal with that crap.

Way back when I started riding, mid 80's, I never would have thought about carrying. A. I was too young. B. Didn't see a reason for it. In the years between then and now, the mood/attitude of those I encounter daily seems to have changed; and not for the better. Personally, I carry everywhere that I legally can. As a father and husband, it is part of the job. Same reason I keep first aid kits in the vehicles, the house, and the shop. Same reason I keep fire extinguishers in the vehicles, the house, and the shop. I pray I'll never have to use any of them but I'll be thanking the guy upstairs that I had them if I ever need them.

hidden_lion likes this.
  35. stillman

Blog Posts:
    I don't know what the leash laws are here but I'd be very surprised to see any enforcement of them. We do have dangerous dog laws that the county claims to enforce but it's a whole process that you have to go through. Most of the dogs that give chase are retrievers or mutts and don't really seem threatening. If I called on every one of them I'd be on the phone all the time

Yeah, when I was becoming an adult in the 80s I never thought I'd carry a gun. I saw no need and thought the idea was ridiculous. Not that I disliked guns, I just couldn't see the need for having one on me. I had a couple of long guns for hunting and target shooting and thought my firearm bases were covered. I bought my first handgun in the 90s when crime visited our apartment building and started carrying all the time soon after. Wife rarely carried until 2003-4 when our babysitter was robbed at gunpoint, at Noon, 3 miles from our house. Now wife carries all the time. Each of us has stopped a situation in its tracks by informing someone who was up to no good that we were armed.

I rode on a bike trail today that I've ridden 4-5 times and never felt like I was in any danger. I passed the memorial to a young lady who probably felt that way before she was murdered on the trail. There was another, more recent, case where a woman was jogging on the trail and an assailant beat her so badly that her husband couldn't recognize her. There have been several cases where men who were cycling alone were beaten and robbed. The police chief in one of the towns that the trail goes through has suggested that people carry protection and don't go out there alone. I heed half of his advice.

Malamute and hidden_lion like this.
  36. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    Is that one of the bikes from Extra Cycle's offshoot brand?

37. RickS

RickS Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It's a Yuba Mundo. I've had it as my town bike for a few years and decided to build a bike for trips in the Mark Twain NF. It will haul a pretty good amount of weight and I don't care about how fast I go. I am going to work on the Ozark Trail a little bit, and will be fishing and maybe a little hunting while I'm there.

38. J.V. Morton

J.V. Morton Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you are hauling a long gun into the woods, the Cogburn gear carrier is a well made, well thought-out piece of equipment ( only down side is it is not discreet). It also hauls bows and fishing poles. As far as hauling a handgun goes, a frame bag or handle bar bag works great ( I prefer the handlebar bag for ease of access in a worst-case scenario)

2jka likes this.
  39. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I carry everywhere I go, riding, hiking, to work, at home, fishing.....I feel naked without a gun.

jstert, hidden_lion and 2jka like this.
  40. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm late to the discussion, but wanted to add that the Hill People Gear Kit Bag is MY solution to concealed carry on a bike. It's also great for a wallet, cell phone, snack, first aid, etc. while peddling.

2jka likes this.
  41. Luafcm

Luafcm Scout

Blog Posts:
    He's laughing because that's a red ryder bb gun ;-)

42. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    I know that. Doesn't negate that cool factor. And the potential usefulness.

Luafcm likes this.
  43. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Scout

Blog Posts:
    Now THAT'S a solution to dogs chasing bicycles! :D

2jka likes this.
  44. Frank G. Henry

Frank G. Henry Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Why not WEAR the pistol? Best place for it is strapped to YOU.

"Well, how do you do that," you ask.

Put on biking shorts.

Put on "regular shorts" over them. These "regular shorts have belt loops.

Have your T-shirt untucked.

One can carry IWB or AIWB with no issues of being outed.

Here in Southeastern Louisiana there are *lots* of bulldog breeds. Usually, they aren't human aggressive but if an American Bulldog or Pit Bulldog decided YOU'RE IT and all you have is a squirt bottle and false confidence you're DONE. Same with human predators.

-----------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

2jka likes this.
  45. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Like a Boer

[​IMG]

2jka likes this.
  46. quintonhall

quintonhall Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This last pic doesnt look like firearm accidental discharge. It appears to depict an individual getting blown around by my severe gas.

2jka likes this.
  47. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ah I see. And Smith & Wesson must have been trying to break into to pharma business. The whole hammer less pistol must have been an allusion to the derrière! You are very perspective. You should be a historian![emoji6]

But in all seriousness I guess it does.

48. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would say, the need doesn't have to be while riding the bike but when you stop in the wrong area..if the goal is self defense the weapon should be in your person anyway, unless you are a trained bicycle shootist well versed in the art of ride- by shootings.
    If you can fire a gun from horseback, you could probably do it while biking, but doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
    Of course there is e old adage, you don't need a gun, until you do...
    Most gun owners never need to use them for self defense, but the ones that end up on the wrong side of luck are usually glad they had them

2jka likes this.
  49. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Scout

Blog Posts:
    Would you carry for you were to ride though Detroit?

2jka likes this.
  50. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was considering trying a mount for a saddle scabbard to mount on the forks of a mountain bike, vertically like the Army did with motorcycles in WWII. I never got involved with riding enough. If going out riding on any of the dirt track roads in the hills or mountains around me Id have a belt gun and carbine, carried slung across my back if nothing else.

savage99nc and 2jka like this.