Ham Radio Parts?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by CharClothed, Nov 8, 2017.

1. CharClothed

CharClothed Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So as mentioned yesterday, I picked these up at a thrift store for $6, the bottom two I know what they are. The top small one, I have no info on. The bottom one is in rough shape on the inside, I'll post pictures in a moment here. But I'd like to get it working. Anyone know where you can get parts for these to make them work? Here's the info I have for the bottom two.
    http://rigreference.com/en/rig/5589-WRL_Globe_Chief_90_A
    https://antiqueradio.org/halli10.htm

Attached Files:

2. CharClothed

CharClothed Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was able to open up the top and bottom ones. The middle one I wasn't able to get inside of. The bottom is the worst of them.

Attached Files:

bigfoot, Lichen and central joe like this.
  3. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Overlanding Bushwhacker Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Top one is a power supply.

Bottom picture is a transmitter, it looks like the sockets for the tubes are there, but no tubes! They probably took them out to use in something else. That probably means there are issues elsewhere with the transmitter. That would be my guess.

Cool find either way. I don't know too much about old radio gear, but I do know ebay is one of the few places that has tubes anymore. Some folks really like the old guys, but they can be fickle. @DKR is pretty good at this stuff, so let's see what he thinks!

bigfoot and central joe like this.
  4. atlastrekker

Blog Posts:
  5. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Top one is a variac. Which is a variable AC transformer.
    Bottom one is Halicrafter receiver.
    Proceed slowly. Most of the capacitors are likely bad and could well short out when powered. The transformers may also be bad.
    These products use high voltages in circuits and can be dangerous to turn on without appropriate pre testing.
    Rehabilitating them takes considerable work.

This appears to be the manual with schematic for the Halicrafter: http://noobowsystems.org/restorations/s-20r/s-20r-manual-remastered.pdf

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  6. tabasco_joe

Blog Posts:
    The down side of old tube equipment is that many components had short life spans due to early construction technologies and heat related aging.
    The plus side is that if you can restore and find the tubes it's far easier to align than a transistor receiver.

I bet CJ knows how to do this. Brings back my early days in school.

bigfoot likes this.
  7. atlastrekker

Blog Posts:
    Is it a variable step down transformer?

bigfoot and tabasco_joe like this.
  8. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I love old radios! I think the name of the place is Antique Radio Parts. I've bought a lot of tubes and capacitors from them. You'll also need to pick up a soldering iron. Good luck.

atlastrekker, bigfoot and tabasco_joe like this.
  9. tabasco_joe

Blog Posts:
    Yes. That's most common. There are some that can step up at the full range so you can adjust from something like 110% and down.

atlastrekker and bigfoot like this.
  10. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Google restoration/repair of Globe Chief transmitter and restoration of Hallicrafters S-38 to see what you will be getting into. The S-38 is a much smaller Hallicrafters SW recvr. but you'll get a basic idea and schematics for your SR-120 are also available. Both these rigs can be re capped, new resistors ect. with easily available parts today. Be careful with the Variac it's homebrew (a DIY project) and can be lethal if you have no experience with one. I've restored a few S-38s and a couple 50s-60s era tube xtmrs similar to the Chief, but I was brought up with this old type of gear. Have fun with it but more important be carefull and sit on one hand while testing any of this old AC gear especially the Hi voltages in the transmitter, the current can also do a number on you.

atlastrekker likes this.
  11. Oni

Oni Scout

Blog Posts:
    I recommend Deoxit contact cleaner and Deoxit Gold conditioner and protectant.

Works great cleaning old oxidized switches and rheostats.

atlastrekker likes this.
  12. Biker Bushcraft

Biker Bushcraft Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Nice set to have around if you know what you are doing. I gave up tube rigs a long time ago just because they did not fit my situation. I had allot of fun with the ones I had and they worked great. Good memories of the shack at night with the tubes glowing through the vents on the rig.

atlastrekker likes this.
  13. DKR

DKR Scout

Blog Posts:
    Re-cap kits for most old rigs can be had thru Hayseed Hamfest. (https://hayseedhamfest.com/) These folks are the real deadl, easy to work with and ship as they say they will.

Please note many old radio receivers that use the the 'Classic 5" tube lineup may have line voltage present on the radio case.
    THIS VOLTAGE CAN BE LETHAL

My wife loves Old Iron, I have a shelf full of old Halicrafters - from a pre-WWII portable, made to compete with the Transoceanic (I have a tube version and a newer transistor model)

My wife's S-40A and B look almost NIB. The S-38s are hot - good receivers and they have a hot chassis...

So before working on these, check that the chassis/case is not hot with line voltage. Schematics, tuning steps and the like are all on line.

[​IMG]
    S-40A

[​IMG]
    S-40B

[​IMG]
    S-40B with the works exposed. Very simple and easy to work on.

Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    brionic and Seacapt. like this.