Hammock for $25!?

Discussion in 'Hammocks' started by Togus, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Togus

Togus Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    At Sam’s Club getting some bulk items and I came across this. A hammock for $25. It alleges to hold 400 lbs. I’m 6’1” and 235 lbs. My wife is 5’3” and she’d kill me if I commented further. Regardless we still don’t come near 400 lbs. Anyway, for $25 I had to get it. I do believe you get what you pay for and I’m fairly certain this hammock will be worth $25. Anyone out there tempted fate with this particular cheapo hammock?
    67B937D4-0672-4A8B-9B63-1751224451BF.jpeg
    375E4D00-1BC7-4FBA-8A71-1DAC26DDA2B5.jpeg
    E3FA48DA-781C-4BF1-A096-ABBEB512E596.jpeg

El Duderino, Kenneth, Sinjin and 5 others like this.
  2. Kreger

Kreger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have 2 hammocks in that price range. Both are holding up well. 1 is a mallow me brand from Amazon, the other is a guidesman from farm and fleet. My son uses that one. Both I believe are double wide 11 ft long. I have personally slept in the mallow me brand hammock around 12-15 nights. It has held up really well. All of the stitches still look good. No complaints at all. For size reference I am 5'11" and around 190lbs.

NevadaBlue likes this.
  3. Blackhillz

Blackhillz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Looks like they have good reviews on Amazon, keep us updated, I for one am interested in how it holds up.

NevadaBlue likes this.
  4. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I got two of the mosquito net hammocks from Walmart for a total of $1.41! They are nice.

Your double looks like a good deal. Show us it in action sometime.

Kenneth and Blackhillz like this.
  5. injun51

injun51 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks good, but only one way to know for sure, hang it and lay in it. Let us know how it works. Good luck.

6. Macrosill

Macrosill Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Maybe I am naive but as long as the hammock is long enough, wide enough and doesn't drop you in the middle of the night it seems good to me. Aside from those attributes what would make a $400.00 hammock better than a $25.00 hammock? As far as the suspension goes , most will probably deep 6 the ones in the package for some whoopie slings and continuous loops.

Maybe a built in bug net?

hidden_lion and Kreger like this.
  7. dirt7

dirt7 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have one of the Honest Outfitters hammocks from Amazon, I bought it for my son and have used it numerous times myself. For $30 it was well worth the price.

gohammergo likes this.
  8. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    You might be surprised at how well it holds up. I have a cheap one from our local hardware store that I think I payed somewhere around 15 bucks for. I've had it at least 7-8 years now and while I haven't used it a super lot, it's been used. I have taken many naps with my dog and I in it and no issues at all. Pretty sure it's a grand trunk? Or something that sounds like that.

9. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    I love a good value. These hammocks are a good value. Most "expensive" hammocks are usually 180.00 to 300.00 depending on top covers under covers suspension material.
    The amount of time alone it takes to sew in a GOOD bug net that works is exponentially longer than whipping a tableclothe.

But this hammock at 25 looks like a good value if it doesn't drop you, for sure. But you get what you pay for with the expensive hammocks.

10. Sinjin

Sinjin Firebrand Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm 6'4 and right around 200 pounds. Ive used my walmart hammock with the mosquito net 4 times, and so far it looks like a can definitely keep using it! I's say you got yourself a winner there!

11. Back Off

Back Off Scout

Blog Posts:
    We have 3 of the Wallmarts and 1 from Skeeter Beater and I can say durability wise the Wallmarts seem fine but what I did notice is that the material on the Wallmarts was significantly noisier than my Skeeter Beater Pro II. It is also easier to get in the bag. Both suspensions needed upgrading for ease of setting up and less damage to the tree but you can find some good ones fairly inexpensive that work very well. Get a ridgeline set correctly for your hang, it will help a lot in being consistent with different hanging distances. Once you find your sweet spot you will always get the same hang.

12. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have the mallome also and as a big ole boy I would say it is excellent for the money. It does need to be hung right to be comfortable. I can lay diagonally in mine a it sleeps like a bed. I think these are a decent way to find out how much you like sleeping in one provided the bugs are cooperative.