1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Hammock insulation idea

Discussion in 'Hammocks' started by tomme boy, May 7, 2017.

1. tomme boy

tomme boy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a few cheap hammocks. What I was thinking was to take one of the hammocks and using that as a UQ. Attach it with velcro straps. I could stuff foam pad in between the two hammocks as insulation. Basically a cheap double layer hammock.

Has anyone done this?

Jasonacraft likes this.
  2. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like it would work!

3. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have built insulated hammocks by sewing insulated quilts to the bottoms of my hammock and then sewn anther piece of rip stop on the bottom .it is a little tricky not getting the quilt too tight but once you get it f right it is so
    Simple to set up knowing your back will
    Be warm .

camp casey and Jasonacraft like this.
  4. DarrylM

DarrylM Guide

Blog Posts:
    If your hammocks are somewhat adjustable in how closely they attach on the velcro, it would also be possible to use the hammocks much like a browse bag and insulate with dry grass or leaves.

Jasonacraft likes this.
  5. tomme boy

tomme boy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think I am going to try this out. I am going to set it up in my basement first to figure it out. Now to figure out what for insulation.

riverjoe likes this.
  6. gargoyle

gargoyle Scout

Blog Posts:
    Closed cell foam is good.
    If your hammocks are the same size, run a row of stitching down the long edge on one side. On the opposite side sew about a 24" row of stitch midway on this long edge.
    The pad can be slipped in at the opening, and lined up by pulling thru from the other opening. Once the pad is situated, your weight will squeeze the pad/fabric and it stays in place all night.

Its a common practice in hammock building. Its called a double layer hammock.
    Heres a diagram of how to from scratch. In this example, they sew part of the right and left sides. I doesn't need to be like this. Sewing one side completely and partially on the opposite yields the same results.
    [​IMG]

camp casey and riverjoe like this.
  7. Bakdrft911

Bakdrft911 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The only thing to be aware of is the pad. The corners will have to be cut to conform to the angles of the Hung hammock