Hammock question

Discussion in 'Hammocks' started by JAY, Sep 23, 2019.

1. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm looking at the Go hammock 2.0. looks to be good at 11 ft long. Just wondering if a hammock would work for a side sleeper? Maybe with an inflatable pad inside? not really wanting to sleep on ground as I hate snakes and ticks

2. to Ha

to Ha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Generally (this is subjective :( ), bridge hammocks work better for side sleepers, unless one is shorter - then gathered end hammocks can be a little better (or so I hear).

I can't sleep comfortably on my side in a hammock, but that's just me.

Oh, I sleep mostly on my side at home, but easily switched to back sleeping in a hammock, so there's hope!

grey mouse, hotelZulu and JAY like this.
  3. 138zacvining

138zacvining Feral bearded man Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I’m a side sleeper and string my hammock up straight as a board and very tight . I seem to sleep pretty well that way .

backlasher and JAY like this.
  4. SamD

SamD Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I side sleep in my Warbonnet Blackbird just fine.

beacon and JAY like this.
  5. hotelZulu

hotelZulu Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm a side sleeper on a mattress. I have trouble sleeping on my side in a hammock, and usually end up on my back with mediocre sleep. But I think you won't really know how you will react until you try it.

6. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am a side sleeper myself and use an 11' Trail Lair hammock with a structural ridge line. I find that if I do not have the mosquito net in place I can lay on a diagonal and get an awesome nap in any position during the day. At night I tend to always use the netting so I get less of a diagonal lay but still sleep on my side at times usually with my knees bent. Even though I have severe difficulties sleeping on my back flat at home due to sleep apnea I am able to get rest if my back is elevation some. When in the hammock I find that I am also able to sleep well when on my back if the head end is slightly higher than the foot end. I noted the structural ridge line above because it allows me to have the same lay each and every time without too much fuss even if I decide to tighten it up on the ends a little thus allowing me to almost always sleep in the same positions.

7. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm a side sleeper mainly with flip flops back and forth and weird leg positions thrown in. I sleep in an 11ft hammock. I can get what feels like perfectly flat to me and with pull outs on the edges it really gives you room to move around.

8. Niagara

Niagara Scout

Blog Posts:
    Normally side sleeper at home and I find that material has a lot to do with comfort of sleep. Length of hammock ( and ridge line set) is only part of the equation.
    I have a Hexon heavier weight not-much-stretch fabric to support me-self. I sleep OK in it - but not very comfortable on my side. I have a slightly stretchier 1.6 oz fabric now which I find I can sleep more comfortably on my side.
    I have been through 4 hammock material / lengths to get to be comfortable. It may take some time to figure out what 'you' need.

9. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'm old, arthritic and tend to toss and turn when I sleep. I don't have any trouble sleeping on my side in a hammock, in fact, I sleep better in my hammock in the woods than I do at home in my bed. You'll have to experiment to find the right angle for your particular body but, when you do, it'll probably be great.

JAY likes this.
  10. GillyGilligan

GillyGilligan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    So first off there is a myth that in order to sleep on one's side the hammock material must be under tension and flat.
    False.
    I have exclusively used gathered end hammocks (what you typically see from Eno and all the knock offs) but as mentioned above mine are LONG. 11.5' to 12'. and they are wide. both features aid in comfort when hammocking but specifically for us side sleepers. I always sleep on my side and I NEVER have any issues.

11. to Ha

to Ha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So the final word on the matter is "it depends".

Kona9 likes this.
  12. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hammocks are fine for side sleepers, generally.

In my experience, my narrow hammocks create a problem when I toss and turn to sleep on my side, and also my blanket tends to fall out from it. However, wider hammocks more or less eliminate that issue. I tend to use 2 person hammocks anyway, out of preference. Note that I am primarily a banana sleeper...the traditional lengthwise lay in a hammock. But, give me a wide hammock and I end up sleeping kind of cockeyed sometimes...which is fine. As long as I sleep well, it's all good.

So, my answer would be that side sleeping is fine in a hammock..I probably do it half the time I am sleeping...but shifting in the middle of the night can be a hassle, and if you are not in a sleeping bag but using blankets and pads and stuff, everything will end up all over the place and on the ground, unless you have a wide hammock where the sides kind of create a cocoon around you.

Being unfamiliar with your particular hammock, I can't say.

Recently, I have begun using double layer hammocks that I can slide a pad or whatever inside the hammock, and that is a thousand times more comfortable than a pad laying in the hammock itself, as well as eliminates a lot of my "toss and turn and kick stuff out of the hammock and onto the ground" issue.

beacon likes this.
  13. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I use an ENO doublenest, which allows me to lay diagonally (i.e., flatter), which in turn, has allowed me to sleep comfortably on my side.

14. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The WILD suburbs of Morris County, NJ, USA
    Just my own personal experience: I am a side sleeper with back issues, and I love my Warbonnet Ridgerunner, which is a bridge hammock :)
    :40::40:

15. valleyreb

valleyreb Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm a side sleeper and have a warbonnet blackbird xlc and sleep great with the extended footbox you sleep flat in this hammock

16. Newtown Mark

Newtown Mark Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm a side sleeper so I bought a Warbonnet Ridge Runner. The thing is so comfortable, I usually end up sleeping on my back. Plus, the longer the trip, the better I sleep.

17. Jerseywith5

Jerseywith5 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Side sleeper and mine is ripstop DIY gathered end. No issues at all.

18. Sawdustdave

Sawdustdave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Side sleeper myself. Just been able to use my new Dream Hammock Raven in the garage, but have no problem sleeping on my side. My problem is the garage - and the lack of noise from my CPAP machine and extra noise from the street. Can't wait to get in the woods in two weeks to use it there. The Raven is 11' long, and I bought it made "as wide as possible". 20 degree UGQ underquilt and topquilt and I'm warm (sometimes too warm!) and toasty inside. Keeping the shop stereo on helps me with the noise...