Hammock Tarp With Doors

Discussion in 'Hammocks' started by mangorockfish, Jan 9, 2019.

1. mangorockfish

mangorockfish Scout

Blog Posts:
    Does anyone have any experience with Hammock Gear's Journey tarp with doors? I'm considering one of these because when I start "hanging" I want to stay warm. I don't want it right on top of me, but want the sides to go to the ground. Tarps that don't go to the ground seem like they would be inefficient. Thanks

2. Cachersquirrel

Cachersquirrel Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Any tarp can have the sides go to the ground. It depends how high on the tree you have it and how much standing room you're looking for. With a 9.6 foot width of the journey, you're just going to have to give up some standing room.

My DD 4x4 goes to the ground and lets me mostly stand. You can fashion doors with any square tarp, they will just require a little more fastening than one made for it.

Outdoor Dauber and central joe like this.
  3. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    You can also use a 3-season tarp with a Grizz Beak from 2QZQ for some of the shoulder season hangs.

central joe likes this.
  4. Brommeland

Brommeland Scout

Blog Posts:
    The bottom edge of a cat cut tarp will naturally pull up in the middle - it's inherent with the design. You can either add a sock to your hammock to cut any drafts, or go with a rectangle tarp that will allow you to pull the edge down all the way around. (I do that sometimes with my Cloudburst and door kit).

You can also do both, but if I were going to take a single approach, I would go with the sock - if you've got wind, you're gonna have drafts with any tarp - regardless of the cut or doors. A sock will really block the wind and add a "micro climate" inside that will be 10-15 degrees warmer than the outside temps.

central joe likes this.
  5. Xackman

Xackman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I personally use
    Chinook Tarp Green Pole 14-Feet x 12-Feet Tent
    and set it up like this
    [​IMG]
    A Little overkill, but hey. I have never had any problems with being too cold with with or getting wet and no need to add doors. Also you can add little snaps to the doors to snap together.

Works the same with smaller tarps. Just less room. IMO

Outdoor Dauber, Wesleypipesyo and svh like this.
  6. Draketake

Draketake Guide

Blog Posts:
    Mango,

Ive got a HG Journey Tarp., in the 12 foot length. It is a fine piece of gear. I love it.

You may want to do what I did at the beginning. I bought a 12 X 10 foot rectangular tarp, at Walmart, for 14 bucks. It has worked fine for me, for the last 2 years. I still use it as a matter of fact.

With the help of Ken Cardwell, using some Duct Tape and " D " Rings, I made side pullouts, creating a lot of extra room, to the interior of the Tarp. I dont use tent poles on my side pullouts. I just use a stick and some micro cord. Saves weight not carrying poles. Just make sure your stick is even with, or just taller than the side pullouts, when you stake out the stick/pullouts. This will create the perfect pitch, to allow for tarp drainage.

Look at Derek Hansen's tarp configuration diagram, found in his book, "The Ultimate Hang". His website has the same info too. Derek shows how to set up the rectangular tarp whereby it creates two doors. Super simple and works great.

I would recommend trying the "Ghetto" Tarp first as it is inexpensive. It will teach you what you want/need for your "Real" tarp.

Like I said, my Journey Tarp is top notch. I had it pitched in 40 plus mph winds last month. It blew all night. Snow, sleet and rain added to the mix. I was warm and dry. Ken Cardwell posted a video and some pictures of that particular trip, under the Trip Reports/Outing section.

Lastly, if you wish, PM me with further questions/concerns you may have. I may be able to save you some time and effort.

Be safe.

Bob

Wesleypipesyo likes this.
  7. TheRambler

TheRambler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Been very happy with my warbonnet superfly

Wesleypipesyo and WILL like this.
  8. Wesleypipesyo

Wesleypipesyo Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just ordered a 13'x10' tarp to try making doors. We will see how it goes.

9. TheRambler

TheRambler Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you have a 13x10 I wouldn’t bother trying to make doors, just cross stake the corners if you need to seal it up. Or if you have additional tie out points on the ends just pull them together with a short section of shockcord.

10. Wesleypipesyo

Wesleypipesyo Scout

Blog Posts:
    0224191346_HDR.jpg

It worked great!!!! I was slightly too intoxicated to close the doors when it was bed time, but it was great.

gargoyle likes this.
  11. Xackman

Xackman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What brand of tarp is it? Also, Awesome spot!

12. Wesleypipesyo

Wesleypipesyo Scout

Blog Posts:
    It's a Aqua Quest tarp. It has a tie down straps on the sides. It is 2 pounds. Which might be heavier than most people want to carry though. However, it works. I can dig it. I got it on Amazon. There are several sizes and shapes to choose from.

13. Xackman

Xackman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That's what I thought it looked like. That was going to be my second choice. I ended up going with DD hammock MC 3.5 x 3.5 tarp. It's about 2 lbs too, so I'm with you. I don't really mind the weight.

14. Wesleypipesyo

Wesleypipesyo Scout

Blog Posts:
    It was a lot of money. But I am hoping it holds up. I am going to use it in May. But it isn't going to be set up to protect me from the rain. It is going up flat and much higher off of the ground. We are going kayaking. So the weight won't matter at all.

15. Xackman

Xackman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm glad there is someone else out there like me that thinks spending $100, on a tarp, is a lot of money. I get a lot of flack because i don't want to spend $200 on a custom tarp that fits my needs. What set up will you be using for rain cover?

16. Wesleypipesyo

Wesleypipesyo Scout

Blog Posts:
    Probably nothing. There is a little island we will be on. The hammock sits down in a hole. There is plenty of tree cover. If there is less than 20-30% chance of rain I don't bother. I like waking up and seeing the trees and woods around me.

The only reason I got this tarp is because my Kmart blue work tarp was starting to pull the grommets out. And one finally let go while we were eating breakfast a couple weekends ago. Smacked me right in the face. Haha

17. Xackman

Xackman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    hahaha ouch, but that's a good rule of thumb. the 20%-30% that is. I can't follow that in Utah. If it says 10% or Rain, I need to expect snow.... This time of year at least.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019