Hammock Tarp With Doors

Discussion in 'Hammocks' started by mangorockfish, Jan 9, 2019.

1. mangorockfish

mangorockfish Scout

Blog Posts:
    Does anyone have any experience with Hammock Gear's Journey tarp with doors? I'm considering one of these because when I start "hanging" I want to stay warm. I don't want it right on top of me, but want the sides to go to the ground. Tarps that don't go to the ground seem like they would be inefficient. Thanks

2. Cachersquirrel

Cachersquirrel Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Any tarp can have the sides go to the ground. It depends how high on the tree you have it and how much standing room you're looking for. With a 9.6 foot width of the journey, you're just going to have to give up some standing room.

My DD 4x4 goes to the ground and lets me mostly stand. You can fashion doors with any square tarp, they will just require a little more fastening than one made for it.

central joe likes this.
  3. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    You can also use a 3-season tarp with a Grizz Beak from 2QZQ for some of the shoulder season hangs.

central joe likes this.
  4. Brommeland

Brommeland Scout

Blog Posts:
    The bottom edge of a cat cut tarp will naturally pull up in the middle - it's inherent with the design. You can either add a sock to your hammock to cut any drafts, or go with a rectangle tarp that will allow you to pull the edge down all the way around. (I do that sometimes with my Cloudburst and door kit).

You can also do both, but if I were going to take a single approach, I would go with the sock - if you've got wind, you're gonna have drafts with any tarp - regardless of the cut or doors. A sock will really block the wind and add a "micro climate" inside that will be 10-15 degrees warmer than the outside temps.

central joe likes this.