hammocks and herniated discs

Discussion in 'Hammocks' started by mugsy, Dec 14, 2017.

1. mugsy

mugsy Guide

Blog Posts:
    wondered bout hammocks and bad backs. anyone with 1st hand expierience, meanin someone with back trouble, i'd appreciate some feedback. is it comfortable, i dont wanna wake up looking and walking like
    quasimodo.

2. Bullhed78

Bullhed78 Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you sleep on a marble slab for a mattress a hammock probably isn’t for you. I think I qualify for back issues. Herniated disc and ruptured disc that was surgically repaired. It would have to be a real compelling reason for me to get out of my hammock and go back to ground dwelling. There are people that hammock sleep full time. I don’t think I would do that but I can understand why they do. I have been in more than one hotel bed wishing like hell I could rig my hammock up in the room.

3. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Athletic Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have several herniated discs, all low back.
    I have a Simply Light Designs Trail Lair, it's big enough that I can adjust positions in it and I've never had any trouble.
    Years ago pre wife, I slept full time in a hammock for awhile.

Every back problem is individualistic, but off hand I don't recall of hearing anyone with disc issues having a hammock aggravate their situation.

Broke, mugsy, SoreFeet and 1 other person like this.
  4. WILL

WILL Guide

Blog Posts:
    With two bulging discs and osteoarthritis in my lower back, there's no way I'm sleeping on the ground for recreation. At this stage in my life, my War Bonnet hammock is the only way I'm able to sleep comfortably in the woods. It's not quite as comfy as my bed, but close....

Broke, mugsy, J. Pierce and 2 others like this.
  5. Megalos

Megalos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've only had a couple of nights in the hammock but it did nothing to affect my bad back. Many people swear by them if you have back issues.

Broke, mugsy and LarryB like this.
  6. Throwsstones

Throwsstones Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I’ve been wondering about this myself. My wife and I have both had back surgery and she can’t sleep flat in a bed anymore. We love to camp on our property in southern Indiana but it’s become to uncomfortable to sleep. Like Mugsy said any advice would be much appreciated

Broke, mugsy and LarryB like this.
  7. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    a bad back is the reason I use a hammock. honestly, I would have to give up sleeping outdoors more than a couple nights in a row if I had to sleep on the ground.

if your troubles are severe, try a bridge hammock instead of a gathered end. be aware though that most commercial bridge hammock have a 250lb weight limit.

a friend, Bill Townsend, of https://thisgearsforyou.com/, makes Town's End Big Guy Bridge hammock that will support over 400lbs and it is, no BS, more comfortable than my bed at home.

full disclosure: I am a prototype tester for Town's End Big Guy Bridge hammock but several people here, as well as dozens of others at hammock "hangs" have tried them, and it's pretty well established how well these are liked...

here's some videos to get you started -- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum...-for-the-Town-s-End-Big-Guy-and-Luxury-Bridge

Broke, mugsy and WILL like this.
  8. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My bad back is the reason I sleep in a hammock.

LarryB, Broke and WILL like this.
  9. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have injured discs in my neck and upper back. I had a very hard time getting used to a hammock at first because I was laying in the center line of the hammock, and my neck hurt a lot. I've learned to get a little diagonal in the hammock with the end sling in line with my shoulder.

How tight you hang it makes a huge difference too. I had to fiddle a lot with my setup but it's great once you do.

Broke, LarryB and WILL like this.
  10. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Certainly hanging a hammock correctly and sleeping in it correctly is something you have to learn just like anything else. But once you figure it out, you won't be going back to the ground.

Broke, WILL and LarryB like this.
  11. LarryB

LarryB Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm here to be added to the list of folks that have been happy with a hammy for a bad back. Actually, the first time I slept overnight in my gifted HH, I almost didn't go on the trip because my back had just flared up and I was in the slow, bent over, old man walk. I took it real easy and very slow out there but after setting it up and laying in it for fifteen minutes, I found that I was able to almost stand straight up, with no pulling on my lower back, when I slowly got out of the hammy. Coincidence? I think not. I've been sold on the "back fixing" ability of hammocks ever since. I suggest that ANYONE with back problems should give this a try. Especially those who have tried about everything else, what have you got to lose?

You may be very, very impressed with this easy test, so give it a go. I've even built a number of DIY thrift shop, 100% poly bed sheet, gathered end, hammocks to show others how easy it is to take a load off. Just do it! :) lb ItsaRap.jpg

12. LarryB

LarryB Scout

Blog Posts:
    No more time for wondering then @Throwsstones! Take the plunge and set up a hammock and you and your lady won't be wondering again. Like others have said here, it may take a little tweak'n to get it right for you but read up on it and see how others do it. Also, all of this is pretty easy, especially compared to all that Dr. and hospital stuff etc. Enjoy this new found wonderment friends. :) lb

Broke and Throwsstones like this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've had back problems since my 30s and found that sleeping face down works best.
    If I need to, I have an inversion table I use from time to time , not to go up side down, but to get the weight off my back and let it work for me .
    It works very well if your can set it to be head down just a few degrees from level.
    When I didn't have one, I took a door off the hinges and put one end on the couch and slept head down hill ,that and a muscle relaxer and eventually the vertebrae would realign . You need at least the inversion boots to keep your feet up hill .
    If your in enough pain you don't care how it looks , it's working.
    Another thing I built is a door web I hang in from time to time that gives me relief . Have to be careful with this one though , it can put your lights out.

LarryB likes this.
  14. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I guess everyone's back is different, so caveat emptor...

I have a bulge/blown L5/S1, and when it was out, it was about 5mm out. I sleep fine in a hammock.

Broke, LarryB and WILL like this.
  15. Tostontostao

Tostontostao Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It is a tradition in my country to sleep in hammock, so since I was young, in all field trips, even in most houses there are hooks to hang a hammock. I carry the hammock even when the tent is carried or where to sleep (beds). from 21 I have 2 herniated discs (L4-L5, L5-S1), and sleeping in a hammock, is one of the things that relieves me of tension or pain. what you have to do is learn to sleep in the correct position (diagonal) and count sheeps ...

Kreger, LarryB and PDA like this.
  16. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Like mine. Kills my knees.

17. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have had neck surgery (laminectomy) and lower back repairs, including fusion and titanium parts. Hammocks are wonderful things, I just wish they could heal arthritis.

I think I will get a couple of big screw hooks and take them along when we have to stay in motels. Thanks for the idea. Guess I should take a tub of drywall mud too for use as we leave. :D

LarryB likes this.
  18. perdidochas

perdidochas Guide

Blog Posts:
    I first took up hammocks on my second camping trip with my sons' Boy Scout troop. I was having back problems at the time, and it was much more comfortable to my back than the ground. You just have to remember to hang at an angle. Also go to the hammock forum. They have a lot of resources on hammocks to read.

LarryB, mugsy and NevadaBlue like this.
  19. perdidochas

perdidochas Guide

Blog Posts:
    Go to hammock forums. They have several designs for portable hammock stands that would be useful if you are travelling by car (not so helpful for travelling by airplane). Much faster than fixing drywall.

LarryB, mugsy and NevadaBlue like this.
  20. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    :D

LarryB and mugsy like this.
  21. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    @NevadaBlue fill the holes with toothpaste. It works really well, seriously. LOL!!!!!

LarryB and NevadaBlue like this.