Hand drill material

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by Pitre, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Pitre

Pitre Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hello fellow louisianaians,
    I've been experimenting with the hand drill lately. I was wandering if anyone else here in south LA fancies the hand drill and what material y'all use.

I've been trying with cattail on willow but have had no success. I know it can be done just not for me yet. I just learned from Cedrikg that a plant with a soft pith in the center is ideal. He uses mullein in his video, but i don't think that mullein grows here in my area. I do know of a plant however with the same characteristics as mullein but not sure the real name. We call them blood weeds. I'll be sure to try with them as soon as I head back down the bayou.
    Thanks

2. JimBow

JimBow Guide

Blog Posts:
    Might want to see if you could come across some horseweed in your area as well. I di believe you have that in your neck of the woods....
    Best of luck! :50:

3. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Hey Pitre.

The stuff i find works best is cypress, we've got plenty of it, and the bark shreds into good tinder too. the dry lower branches are what i've had success with. have also tried oak, pine, and a few unknown woods with no luck. mighta been more humid at the the time i tried them, which seems to hinder things too.

never thought to try horseweed... it's not real common in my area (and neither is cattail, for some reason). i think we have mullein, but i've not looked real hard for it. yucca stalks supposedly work, and we do have yucca here in West LA, i just haven't tried it yet.

4. The Hunter

The Hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Pitre here is a video I did last year using a stick of yucca I went and got out of the woods. I am in Louisiana and understand the difficulties in getting the hand drill as well as the bow drill to work here. Many dont realize how wet it stays here year round even in triple digits but I have found Dave Canterbury's advice on finding plants that exhibit properties conducive to being used as hand drill pretty good. If I see a stiff pithy centered plant and can get it dry enough it usually works well when I am using thumb loops which are a very smart tool to use as you wont damage your hands like you would without them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3xmhz8erUw