Hand sewn leather car seats

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by Serkaugh, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Serkaugh

Serkaugh Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hi all,

Hope I'm not the only car enthusiast here.
    I own a mark 4 vw GLS '03 jetta with standard beige leatherette/faux leather seats and beige interior. I would want to buy and install Recaro gli/gti/r32 seat which only comes in black colour scheme.

I was thinking
    If I want to reupholster those new seats with better lateral support from black to beige to fit my current beige interior ( in faux leather/leather) Would it be doable to hand sew them?
    If you think its doable, what ''knot'' you would suggest ?
    Also any other tips are welcome.

I never had any experier with hand sewn leather, I dont own a sewing machine,

I am also considering keeping my current beige seats as they are, or other fabrics option. I do like the look of leather, it looks fancy. My cars is oem+ and still look pretty good for a 14 years old cars.

thanks in advance guys.

ps. I'll try to add pics when i get home.. or tapatalk let me sign in on my phone

alukban likes this.
  2. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Anything can be hand sewn, but that is a lot of miles of stitching to do a project like that.
    I bet you could hand stitch for 50-60 hours to do two seats.
    You have welting, piping, seams, tucking and other goodies to do.
    I don't want to discourage you, but.........don't try it.

3. Todd1hd

Todd1hd Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That would quite an undertaking and Intend to agree with the above poster....but hey, it's your car and your time. I did see an Audi TT with hand stiched seats, but they were actually laced, not stitched. Sort of a western motiff. Probably a lot quicker than stitching.

4. Serkaugh

Serkaugh Scout

Blog Posts:
    I know the TT had an option for sears like those. Think they call it baseball seats or something like this. Don't know if it's the seats you talk about.

I've sais sewing by hand, but I may be wrong on the correct word to use. If you guys know the. And of a technique I could watch on YouTube to learn, and cut down the length of hand sewing. I don't mind spending time doing it. I do want to looks good. I spend like 20-30 hours on my first two hand made knife. Spending 40 to 50 on seat that I'll use almost everyday doesn't seam so much worst.
    And professionnal charge up to 3000$ to make this job. ( maybe not for 2 seats, more for a complete colour change )

Thanks for your input already

J. Pierce likes this.
  5. the_dude

the_dude Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    the upside: it's doable.

the downside: it will be readily apparent that you upholstered your own seats, and that it was your first time working leather.

6. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I read the title and wondered why anyone would want to hand sew a cat seat. I clicked and expected to find another thread about a stump selling for $400 in a high end boutique. Now that I actually take the time to read the title, I agree that it would be a butt load of work. I sure wouldn't try it but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. However, maybe start with a bushcraft class ditty bag first, then see how you like sewing!

7. Serkaugh

Serkaugh Scout

Blog Posts:
    Why would it be apparent that I upholstered my own seat? Because it will be my first time working leather ?!

I'm still on the fence tho.

I'm in Montréal Canada, can't assist to any classes :( I bet they are to far from me.

Also, I made some stitching research.
    For flat stitching, I could do cross stitching

https://highonglue.com/tutorial/hand-sewing-two-leather-pieces-cross-stitch-pattern/