Harbor Freight $12 Wool Blankets?

Discussion in 'Gear Deals' started by CharClothed, Jul 30, 2018.

1. CharClothed

CharClothed Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  2. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've heard nothing but bad things about these. Heavy chemical smells, recycled short strand wool that falls apart, low wool content, etc.

3. CharClothed

CharClothed Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's what I was worried about

4. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'd assume it is a cheap made in India low wool content (probably not good wool at that) blended with polyester moving blanket intended to last for 1 moving event and then disintigrate. Might be ok as a moving blanket but wouldn't trust it for camping use.

If you're looking for a quality long term item, they are few and far between at Harbor Freight. Disposables and tools you might only use once in a lifetime or very infrequently...well then it can sometimes be worth rolling the dice there. A lot of their stuff is hit and miss quality control even for the same item...50/50% chance your tool might work, or might be a lemon out of the box, or after a single use.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  5. CSM1970

CSM1970 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have two of them and for $12 you can use them once or twice and toss them. I keep one in each vehicle. The smell can be removed by washing it in cold water on gentle and then low heat dry. Or hose it down with Febreeze. It may take a week or twoto air it out after washing. Or sink $200 into a Pendleton. These are light weight blankets so don’t plan any artic tours with them.

6. Glock Holiday

Glock Holiday Scout

Blog Posts:
    Alternative is garage sales.

7. bumma

bumma Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have one as well. Washed and hung it outside for a few days. It spends the winters in my vehicle which was the reason for the purchase.

8. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Scout

Blog Posts:
    Fyi if you keep an eye out online you can find good 100% wool military surplus blankets come up from time to time for 2-2.5 times the cost of that $12 Harbor Freight blanket. Makes more sense to buy one good blanket relatively cheap than buy several "disposable" blankets over time.

And yes as @CSM1970 says you can drop hundreds of dollars on a Pendleton etc and it'll be great. But if you happen to have a thrift store like Goodwill nearby and you're persitent then you can often find high end wool blankets (or good military surplus wool) for LESS than that Harbor Freight blanket. I've found 100% fine wool queen size blankets for $5...half off!

9. drobs

drobs Scout

Blog Posts:
    I keep a HF Wool Blanket in each vehicle. The smell eventually goes away.
    The one in my pickup is 7 years old and I use it to cover things I don't want others looking at.

ExAF1N1, freebirdfb, Sandcut and 2 others like this.
  10. CSM1970

CSM1970 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I ordered one off eBay for about $30; made in India. Slight smell, scratchy as a 3-day beard. Washed it gently and it came out soft, fluffy, and with almost no smell. I use it as a bedroll with my Texian Army Volunteer personna. I Have never actually slept under it but on the Gulf Coast of Texas the opportunties for cold weather are limited.

I have this one: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/252787579810

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    ExAF1N1 and freebirdfb like this.
  11. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    I bought one out of curiosity,
    after first use it started falling apart on me,
    made of short strands,
    1 use it has thin spots where you can see right through it,
    pure junk,

12. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple I got them on sale for 10.00 @.
    They’re okay to throw over a camp chair to keep your back side a little warmer but their really cheap, thin blankets. Two of them doesn’t equal one US Army blanket by a wide margin.

13. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just ordered a couple cheap blankets from BUDK. I'm sure they are the same junk but two for $15. delivered isn't bad for a throwaway. I'll just throw them in the vehicles.

14. The Pan

The Pan Ironwood Lover Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    They put up a Harbor Freight near where I live, I bought a couple things there :D then I returned a couple things there :mad:now I just go past there.......:dblthumb:...

15. highlander

highlander Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don’t like them. They fall apart when washing them and leave a shredded fiber mess in the washer.
    I use one when laying on the ground under my truck. That’s about it.

freebirdfb and Winterhorse like this.
  16. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like them. A lot. I have nicer ones but for some reason I keep using this one. Mine was washed then kept in my vehicle. Then thrown on the dirt as a tarp to sit on. Then washed. Then dyed black and used as a cape for my John Snow Halloween costume. Then washed again. It's soft, warm, durable. I use it as a blanket at times. I don't think that highly of high end wool products. I like my cheap blanket. I like cheap tarps. Many people would not drag leaves with a BCUSA tarp or throw a Pendleton blanket on the ground to sit on at camp or at a concert. I do both with my inexpensive blanket and tarp.

drobs, ExAF1N1, freebirdfb and 4 others like this.
  17. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    IMAG0472.jpg

I like their moving blankets too.

drobs, freebirdfb, Merk3030 and 3 others like this.
  18. bobs1415

bobs1415 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I keep a couple of these in the car. Figure that they could be tossed if they get too ragged without breaking the bank.

19. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I made the quilt I used on this weeks overnight myself. I took a blanket and ‘laminated’ it with a satin like material on one side, cotton on the other and a wide blanket welt around the edges. Machine quilted. Tie strings along one edge. I made a bag to hold it. It rolls up and fits into the bag. Like it a lot. I will try to get pics. One of the HF blankets would make a good start for one of these I think.

71C1482E-BF85-4468-B1B8-2D8B77760B5C.jpeg

C0D1A017-5769-44E8-AE46-2C397F6A7417.jpeg

0578C62C-AEEC-44CE-AEC0-4C10D50EDFC9.jpeg

drobs, ExAF1N1, freebirdfb and 3 others like this.
  20. stillman

stillman Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I bought some to use as camping and vehicle blankets. Never could get the smell out to my satisfaction so we put one in the dog house during cold weather. Dog drug it out of her house and left it in the yard.

21. HP500

HP500 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I cut one up to make an anorak out of it. It works ok.

freebirdfb, Sandcut and Winterhorse like this.
  22. Chadarius

Chadarius Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I recently purchased three Ektos 80/20 wool blankets from Amazon for $21 each. My sons and I will be using them for our sleep rolls for going hunting this year. They seem to work quite well so far. They are soft enough to sleep in. I am making Celtic cloak pins so we can where them to keep warm around camp. I also like their flame retardance factor as we will be using a tent stove for cooking and warmth. Being able to use them in a an emergency to stamp out a fire or just covering our sleeping bags to protect from an errant ember seems quite useful.

drobs and freebirdfb like this.
  23. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    You would be better offf dropping $30 on a Rothco European style blanket.

24. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    freebirdfb likes this.
  25. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I think I have 4 or 5 of these HF blankets. Personally, I think that they are great for what they are. If you are looking for a high quality wool blanket for $9...you're WAY off base. If you are looking for an inexpensive, yet warm blanket that you aren't afraid to actually use, they are fantastic!

I've used mine for picnic blankets, to make cold aluminum bleachers warmer at football games, to wrap my wife in at soccer games to keep her warm, doubled/tripled over as extra thermal barrier between me and the ground while winter camping, as an extra blanket (used as a blanket, go figure) both indoors and out, as a seat cover when the Wunderhund rides in the car to keep hair off the upholstery, as a ground cover while stargazing/satellite watching, as padding for the dog in his travel cage when travelling long distance, as a soft splint for ankle/leg splinting in WFA classes and a whole lot of other things.

The point being, while I wouldn't consider them to be disposable, I'm certainly not afraid to use them.

You do need to wash them on gentle as they will leave a bit of a mess in the washer. In fact, one time I had a clump of the fibers from one clog my washer fill shut off and I ran down stairs about an hour and a half after starting the the load and the damn thing ran on "fill" the whole time. I ended up sucking up over 120 gallons of water off my floor with a wet vac. I now only was them at commercial laundromats.

I do have an issue Army blanket from a distant relative, but I wouldn't do half the things that I do with the HF blanket with the Army blanket. I was thinking of buying one just to cut a hole in the middle to use as a poncho-type thing for sitting around a campfire late season.

They would be a good, inexpensive way to practice making an anorak or similar garb prior to using more expensive blankets. If you screw up, you're only out $10-12.

drobs and ExAF1N1 like this.
  26. drobs

drobs Scout

Blog Posts:
    One of the reviews on HF, mentions putting the blanket in a pillow case to wash it. Pretty smart.
    Imagine you need to tie a knot on the open end.

"Great blanket for around the house, car or camping. I have bought four of them so far and none of them a scratchy as people say. If you want to wash them put them in a large pillow case and wash them in Cold water on the gentle cycle."

Another review:

"Blankets for the Homeless
    We purchased a number of these to distribute to the homeless in our city. They are very durable and warm even when wet - perfect for someone living on the street. Can't say enough about the customer service we got while purchasing these blankets. Our salesperson (Pam) took a personal interest in what we were doing, and helped make our blanket distribution a success!"

Sandcut likes this.
  27. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:

drobs likes this.
  28. Bonekrakker

Bonekrakker Not a chiropractor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    They are the OSB of the blanket world. Have a couple.

blind & lost and drobs like this.