1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Hard Cider?

Discussion in 'Food' started by WY_Not, Nov 2, 2016.

1. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sorry for the delay...

Well, the second batch is racked and resting/finishing. Got just under a gallon and a half this time around. And, now the hard part... Waiting till the week before Christmas to blend and bottle. :(

Will have to buy some more bail top bottles. Only have (3) 1L bottles left. Debating between 1L bottles or 16 oz bottles. When bottling cider, any preferences from the more experienced? Or does everyone just use what they have on hand?

NattyBo and 2jka like this.
  2. NattyBo

NattyBo Bon Vivant Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Are you sharing? If yes, I would use pounders. If not go with the liter, less work more drink.

2jka likes this.
  3. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    @NattyBo Yes. hehehe

Been noodling on it since last post and I'm definitely overthinking this (me overthinking something, what else is new). Will use the (3) 1L bottles I have and buy some 16 oz bottles for the remaining cider.

2jka and NattyBo like this.
  4. pipehand

pipehand Tracker

Blog Posts:
    IMG_20150523_112838623_HDR.jpg
    I like to re use bottles and not buy if possible. The above pic is cider bottled with a bit of corn sugar added to carbonate it in the bottle. Of course, you'll have to buy new caps and have a capping tool. The beer bottles will hold the pressure of carbonation, but jugs will go all splodey if fermentation continues while capped tightly.

rsnurkle, 2jka, NattyBo and 1 other person like this.
  5. NattyBo

Blog Posts:

Please don't put a lime in that bottle of golden goodness. ;) Seriously, looks great and what a treat for the upcoming holidays.

2jka likes this.
  6. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    The 23rd is taking too long to get here. :( All four carboys are clarifying wonderfully. Is tough to see them and to resist sampling.

Did pick up a bottle filler for the end of my auto-siphon tubing. It is a valve with a spring in it. Press it against the bottom of the bottle and the valve opens. Lift it off the bottom and the spring closes the valve, stopping the flow.

7. Geoff Randall

Geoff Randall Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't pretend to be a brewmeister, I just play one on TV. That said, I do love the Woodchuck brand in Granny Smith apple flavor...crisp and extra tart.

rsnurkle and 2jka like this.
  8. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    Getting tough to wait. Plan on racking the cider a second time next week and bottling it. If nothing else it is clarifying beautifully. That reminds me, I need to get some bottles ordered today.

May "appropriate" one of the 1g carboys and make a batch of apple pie moonshine to put in it. :33:

9. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Motts apple juice or Tree Top, one of them I know has no preservatives like potassium sorbate, which is used in wine making to kill yeast growth. I use Lavlin 118 champagne yeast cuz it's cheap, but there are better ones out there meant for ciders. I pour 2 cups out of the jug and pour in the yeast. Champagne yeast doesn't form a Krausen so only a couple inches of headspace is needed. I let it run until no more bubbles then pour into Grolsch bottles. Whatever is left for yeast carbonates it. After 2 weeks I chill them to 34 degrees to kill the yeast.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    2jka, NattyBo and WY_Not like this.
  10. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm thinking of doing just that next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. NattyBo

Blog Posts:
    photo (12).JPG

I've got my holiday cheer. @WY_Not, I hope your batch is killer.
    Merry Christmas!

WY_Not and 2jka like this.
  12. MichelVH

MichelVH Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It's really popular amongst the youngsters out here to buy vitamin juice or orange juice, throw in yeast, and make some liquor. You can distil it up to around 40%.

13. adkwalker

adkwalker Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    What I'm leaving for Santa this year !!!!!
    Hope there are enough cookies! 20161224_132517-1.jpg

rsnurkle, WY_Not and NattyBo like this.
  14. NattyBo

Blog Posts:
    Hope the reindeer know the way home. Looks awesome.

rsnurkle and adkwalker like this.
  15. adkwalker

adkwalker Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Lol yea that's a 2 glass batch !
    Been resting since Thanksgiving.
    Kevin

NattyBo likes this.
  16. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    Finally! Been so busy with the holidays that I did not get to rack and bottle the cider when I'd planned. Got it done this morning. Bleached and rinsed all the bottles and equipment. Racked all the cider into a large stainless steel pot. Bottled (3) 1 liter bail top bottles, a half gallon jug (going to the in-laws with us later today for some New Year's cheer), (8) 16 oz bail top bottles, and a single pint jar that I'll throw in the fridge for later. Actually, didn't think there was enough left in the pot to fill another 16 oz bottle so I started pouring it in the jar. :34: Also, didn't think to pull out the hydrometer till after I was done.

The "sharing" bottles...
    [​IMG]

The "single serve" bottles...
    [​IMG]

The pint jar...
    [​IMG]

Some sunshine (ok maybe just daylight, hehe) shining through the cider...
    [​IMG]

For some reason the first of the two batches had more sludge in the bottom of the jugs.
    [​IMG] - [​IMG]

Stupid question time... Is it worth it to pour the last bit left in the jugs through a filter? Or just dump it out with the sludge? Already dumped it out with the sludge but asking for the next time.

NattyBo likes this.
  17. BigEd

BigEd Tracker

Blog Posts:

Sorry for the necro post. Been busy.

You have have leftover yeast in those bottles. You can combine it, wash it (or not), stick it in the refrigerator, then use it as a starter in the next batch of cider.

Your cider looks like great stuff! I have not made cider in 18 years. :(
    Currently building a 16 gallon 240v electric brew pot & PID, and cider is on my hit list in the fall of 2017.

Cheers!

NattyBo likes this.
  18. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    Not a problem. Actually had not thought of using the leftovers as starter for the next batch. Thought the sludge on the bottom was the dead yeast?

19. adkwalker

adkwalker Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Yea what's left at the bottom goes down the drain ! I do pour a glass for my self at the end and let it settle and enjoy. Looks great ! Thinking of doing another batch just to see if I can get some apple jack !

WY_Not likes this.
  20. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    Just don't make so much you can't guzzle it quickly if the revenuers come a knocking. hehehe After all we wouldn't want to break the law and distill our own spirits. ;)

BigEd likes this.
  21. adkwalker

adkwalker Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Lol would be about enough to fill a flask thats about it from 2 gallons No distillation it is frozen and you get what's left

WY_Not likes this.
  22. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    I am pretty sure that I read somewhere that Uncle Sam and his revenuers consider freezing a form of distillation. Just putting the info out there. Personally, I have no issue with it and it would not bother me in the least to freeze some of the cider that I made. I think if we can brew beer, wine, etc for personal consumption without threat of violence for not getting a permission slip and paying the bribe then we should be able to distill for personal consumption as well.

Found it. PSA regarding freeze distillation for US homebrewers • /r/Homebrewing

Back to the cider... That is a lot of water to come out. I'm going to have to work on making some room in the freezer. :32:

adkwalker, BigEd and NattyBo like this.
  23. BigEd

BigEd Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yep. Any distillation, including freezing, under federal law is illegal in all of the US states.

State laws vary, there are 8 states that do not care as long as it is for personal consumption only.

When you freeze hard cider, it's called "Apple Jack".

Easiest way to make Apple Jack is in a "box wine" bag.

Pull off the spigot.
    Clean out the used wine bag.
    Fill it up with hard cider.
    Stick the spigot back on.
    Stick in the freezer with a corner of the bag facing down.
    Let it sit overnight.
    Remove the bag, and cut he corner over a pot, or bowl to collect the alcohol.

Theory is: If the ABV is 14% in a one gallon bag. Then 14% of the liquid will be high test alcohol, about 1.12 pints. Once the freeze distilled alcohol comes up to room temperature you can use a alcohol tralle to see what ABV/Proof it now is.

In reality, it is x3 or x4 times the ABV in liquid (3.3 or 4.4 pints), because freezing does not remove all of the water from the alcohol. I have seen ABV as high as 35% or 70 proof after freezing, it really depends on what you freeze and how cold you get it.

WY_Not, NattyBo and adkwalker like this.
  24. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    Quick post before heading to work...

Will an alcohol tralle work on the cider before it is distilled (freeze or traditional)? I've got a hydrometer but it says to use it before and after fermentation to check SG and then do some math to determine ABV. What little I could find on other ABV measuring methods/tools seems to indicate that they only work on distilled liquid and won't work on fermented liquid. *shrug* Maddening hobby. Check 10 different sources to glean information and come up with 12 different opinions.

The cider I have is so far great drinking. Just really curious as to the ABV.

25. BigEd

BigEd Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yes. A Tralle will tell you the current ABV of Beer, Wine, or a mixed drink. (At temperature it is scaled for)

A Hydrometer will not read current ABV. Hydros are great for measuring potential, as long as the ferment finishes to 1 or .99

You can get a Tralle that measures 0% to 100% ABV. Just remember to measure the temperature of the liquid. My Tralle is accurate at 60F so when tempering whiskey I make sure it is at around 60F. The warmer the whiskey the Tralle will fall deeper and give a false reading of higher ABV.

Brew tip: I keep a stainless steel scrubby in the bottom of my test beaker so I don't have to worry about dropping the Tralle in and breaking it.

NattyBo and WY_Not like this.
  26. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    Well, I'm necro'ing my own thread. It is that time of year again... Time to turn fresh apple cider into hard cider!

Two 6g carboys and two 5g carboys arrived today. Going to buy apple cider from the local orchard this weekend. Plan on using the two 6-g carboys for the first ferment then rack them into the 5g carboys for finishing ferment. Who knows, if there is still cider available, I might start a second batch. :4: I'm going to need a LOT of bottles.

I had a tall glass (16 oz) of some of last year's batch that has been in the refrigerator and WOW did it mellow out. It was crisp without being too dry and just the enough apple flavor remaining without tasting too sweet. :32: Went down way too easy. Even after eating a large meal (mashed potatoes, dressing, and chicken) it had enough kick to make me feel very comfortable. Not drunk or stupid or clumsy. Just comfortable.

NattyBo and Boondocks70 like this.
  27. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    i need to crack my bottles from last year. about 2 liters have been chillin in the fridge for quite a wile now.

WY_Not likes this.
  28. EternalLove

EternalLove Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't make cider but I do enjoy drinking it. I like Angy Orchard though it's likely viewed as the Budweiser of ciders.

Funny how often success breeds contempt in America.

WY_Not likes this.
  29. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    10g of cider is now fermenting in carboys. Also started a liter of vanilla extract. Tomorrow we'll get a couple heads of cabbage started on the road to becoming sauerkraut.

RickS likes this.
  30. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    Pics after 24 hours. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the yeast has gotten a foothold and doing well. :18:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

31. Wuwuwu54

Wuwuwu54 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just started my first batch of hard cider today after my new fancy carboy and airlock came in. Using premier blanc champagne yeast and making one STRONG brew and one that should be more enjoyable to actually consume haha. Will upload some pictures tonight.

WY_Not likes this.
  32. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    Lalvin EC-1118 is the one I used last year and this year. A champagne yeast that is a little on the dry side but has a relatively high ABV tolerance.

Today the foam was a beautiful white. Still about an inch thick.

Wuwuwu54 likes this.
  33. Wuwuwu54

Wuwuwu54 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Heres a day 1 picture of my first cider. One gallon of Musslemans apple cider, 5 cups of white sugar, and half a packet of red star premier blanc champagne yeast. Should get nice and strong, around 17 percent. I haven't seen any bubbling yet, but the water in the airlock has moved to almost completely on one side so the fermentation process is starting. One thing I did is pitched in my yeast straight from the fridge to my room temperature cider without warming up the yeast first, so hopefully that didn't kill off almost all my yeast from the jump. IMG_3137.JPG

Falcon45 and WY_Not like this.
  34. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    Getting close to the end of the first fermentation. Airlocks are still going. Foam has subsided to a thin layer though. Hoping they are done on Sunday.

35. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    Airlocks are still percolating.

Got dragged out on Saturday to a "local" orchard. Wife REALLY wanted some concord grapes. Bought the last three baskets. She got about a gallon of juice and the chickens got the squeezings. While there we saw two half gallon jugs of cherry cider; apple cider with cherry juice added. Bought the last them (last two). Started a 1g carboy with them. Should be interesting.

[​IMG]

Falcon45 and RickS like this.
  36. RickS

RickS Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    image.jpg I started mine a year ago and am drinking it now. The recipe called it cyser, apple cider and honey. Looks like it's called different names in different places. Mine is pretty strong, I'm not much of a drinker so it should last me awhile. It's in the small bottle on the right, I got 3 bottles out of this batch.

WY_Not and Falcon45 like this.
  37. 1911srule

1911srule Tracker

Blog Posts:
    We do it, the easiest fastest way. Using unpasteurized (Amish)cider, I get it home and remove the caps. Replace with a balloon which I pricked a hole in with a pin. Lets it out gas , keeps anything from getting in. Cheap air lock. We let it sit in the basement for 3 weeks. By second day the balloon will slightly fill with gas from fermentation and you'll know its good to go. Nice crisp cider!
    *We drink it fast, but I'd like to know how to stop it from fermenting further so we can bottle it and store some.
    https://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/fermenting/how-to-make-hard-cider-zmaz07onzgoe

WY_Not likes this.
  38. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    So kinda like a mead? Sounds interesting. Got a recipe you can post?

39. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    Last year (and will do same this year) I waited till the percolating slowed to about one "burp" every five minutes. Then I racked off the cider off into new carboys where they clarified and finished fermentation for another two months. Then they got bottled. Still have a couple of bottles left from last year; none of the bottles had an issue with carbonation or bottle bombs. But then I also use wire bail top bottles. Not sure if that matters. With 10g going this year, I'm going to go with regular bottles and caps this year just because of cost. Will still put up a few "sharing" bottles in bail top bottles.

1911srule likes this.
  40. RickS

RickS Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sorry, I am really terrible at knowing a lot of computer stuff. Not sure how to post things like that. I just searched for cyser and picked one.

WY_Not likes this.