Hardwoodsman tab skill posts

Discussion in 'BushClass USA' started by Iz, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Hardwoodsman #7 Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    In this challenge you are allowed to use your tinder pouch, you shouldn’t be making shavings. Just take the tinder pouch of all the nice dry stuff that you usually carry and dump it, light it, and start adding to it. It is the only Hardwoodsman challenge in which you are allowed to use it.

Mine always contains shredded inner bark, usually from ash and poplar, and birch bark. Those are all in my area and I carry a pouch of ice dry stuff for fire lighting.

This challenge is all about big and fast and thinking on your feet, don’t lrepared and using what you ha e immediately with and around you.

NWPrimate, rsnurkle, OMRebel and 2 others like this.
  2. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    It took me a couple of different tries to do the man in the creek drill too @Syntria don't be discouraged! Just remember that all of these are CHALLANGES and not meant to be easy even though it might SEEM like it's easy. The good thing is once you've practiced them all enough to be proficient and then made a video of it that gets the go you will have learned a valuable skill that will stay with you for life.

3. Sweeneyguy

Sweeneyguy Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Yeah and one big tip I can give you is don't take time to break down the wood. Just grab as much as you can and throw it on. I found an old dead bush and tore it out of the ground, threw it on whole.

As Tom Lutyens says, "A half gallon of kerosene and a road flare is how you get a fire when you need it."

4. Syntria

Syntria Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Ah......Damn it, haha. I thought I read 'shavings are the only tinder allowed'.

5. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    I tried so hard to get a fire started in under 3 minutes with just woodshavings man, haha. I'll make a fail compilation video. Was really good practice though. Wet sand, windy, trying to light woodshavings in the wind was rough.

2018-01-08 15.07.30.jpg
    upload_2018-1-8_15-14-40.png

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  6. Syntria

Blog Posts:
  7. Sweeneyguy

Blog Posts:
    Yeah that's a pretty rough place but not impossible. First off establish a good base and brace that you can lean on and bring something to catch shavings like a bandanna or a hat. Also do you shavings last. They will absorb the most moisture.

NWPrimate, EvanStinson and OMRebel like this.
  8. EvanStinson

EvanStinson Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Ok so I have an honest question. And it’s not intended to point fingers or cause problems. I’m just trying to make sure I am 1000% clear on some requirements before I get to a challenge and spend a bunch of time filming an automatic no go.

FIRE IN THE RAIN

Over the past page or so the rules have been stated as follows.

Fire in the open not under trees or any kind of cover. This would lead me to believe that it needs to be done in an open field? Or an open clearing in the forest somwhere? It was also stated that only prep can be covered. A post on page 30 was given a go and appeared to be partially under a log and not out in an open area.

I had personally considered a fire lay that offers some level of cover for the early flame but I am assuming that would be a no go?

Now this isn’t to nit pick what’s been given a go in the past at all. Heck Upping the requirements isn’t a bad thing everyone loves a challenge. I just want to be specifically clear so as not to choose a location or conditions that are not acceptable.

9. atlastrekker

Blog Posts:
    Or how about UNDER A PONCHO?

10. OMRebel

OMRebel Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
  11. kcardwel

kcardwel Hardwoodsman Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    yeah, I suppose there are differences here and there...one thing we are doing in the judges area is agreeing together on what is and isn't acceptable so there is more than one head working on it.
    to re-tell..... poncho or raincoat should be used but can't use it to cover any prep but can put prep in pockets. no logs to put under but doesn't have to be out in the open field just so you are in an open space with no overhanging tree branches to cover things. bark, limbs, leaves, can be used to cover tinder and prep and of course should be.
    we will discuss the firelay and get back to you tonight but I was thinking a minimal one might be ok and especially putting something down on the ground....bark etc. to start off dry.

12. atlastrekker

Blog Posts:
    Someone did it and got a go. He was wearing it and basically did all the fire prep with the poncho covering it and his head inside under the poncho. I'm at the airport in Dallas right now, so I can't look for the video, but when I get some time I'll bring it back up.

13. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    I have to ask, because now I am confused...When Iz stated we could use "bark (natural materials)" to cover our preparation, I took that to mean a log that is naturally present could be used to shield the prep. That is what I did and I got a go. Did I "get by" on one? If so, I will attempt it again, but I would rather the council consult with Iz about it.

14. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    ok, we will

15. EvanStinson

EvanStinson Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Didn’t mean to open a can of worms. I just think as aspiring hardwoodsman we want to be clear and be doing the right things so we get good results, and don’t cheat ourselves out of the experience.

16. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    we understand; we pretty much don't want to bother Iz after talking it over since he wanted us to take care of things so are talking it over. Pastor might post soon here after we talked.

17. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    I will also add that Iz complimented my use of the log (in the event ya'll decide not to bother Iz with it). Either way, it won't hurt to practice it again if necessary.

18. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    Here's some clips of me trying to do a rapid fire with shavings only by mistake. Live and learn haha. Was so wet and windy. I had tinder and char cloth on me but was confused about it being allowed. Will have another go later.

atlastrekker and OMRebel like this.
  19. atlastrekker

Blog Posts:
  20. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:

No nit picking perceived Evan and a really good question.

The Hardwoodsman challenges have evolved over time and the same is true about Iz's judging of them. He got very strict a bit before I went though and he gave me a No-Go on a challenge that he knew I had completed to standard, but the framing on my camera shot was just a little off and he couldn't see the tops of the flames. It was obvious they were more than high enough but his reasoning was that he didn't want anyone to be able to go back and pull a, "See so and so didn't (or did) so XYZ and you passed them!"

In a way, that is a little bit where we are right now. But . . . we have a Council of Hardwoodsmen who can confer and share their collective/historical knowledge and also who understand the ethos of the challenges in particular and as a whole.

I re-did the aforementioned challenge with a passing result and the benefit of another challenge completed and also with the lesson learned of making sure my camera was set properly!

SWF in the rain is a tough one on both sides of the equation and has probably been judged with varying degrees of detail. Here is what the Council has decided and offers as guidelines:

- The fire must be out in the open; a field or celling in the forest with no overhead cover
    - No use of fallen logs or rock or other geographical features to keep your prep dry
    - you may use bark, or make a teepee or other type of fire-lay type shelter for your prep form material found on site
    - you may use your rain jacket to cover your prep but then you must deal with being wet yourself. If this is simply uncomfortable fine, it could be dangerous though and that is not fine. No posthumous Hardwoosdman badges will be awarded!
    - Adding to the above, if it looks like you were wearing a rain jacket under the rain jacket you took off to cover your prep, you will be give a no-go, maybe several in a row.
    - I know some folks wear ponchos and that is great. Using a poncho during this challenge is taking an easy way out. No-Go.
    - If you tell us that you always carry a mylar blanket or trash bag in your pockets and try to use that, that will be a No-Go.
    - As Iz stated, if it chaps your backside that you are being used to make these challenges as difficult as possible, too bad. Someone can start a Soft-Woodsman badge if they like. This is HARDWOODSMAN!

I hope that all makes sense.

If you have questions, ask them before you go out. I know these challenges take a lot of time and commitment and we wasn't things to be clear before you start. It took me a year and a half of hard wood to get through, I know.

Also a reminder that these are not "in the yard" or "near the truck" challenges, to quote IZ.

You hit it on the head Evan. You are the best judge of wether or not you are cheating yourselves out of the experience. Let your conscience be your guide.

21. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    Fire in the rain = Man in the creek? Just verifying. Also is active rain required as part of the challenge?

atlastrekker likes this.
  22. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    Separate challenges. Rain is required for SWF in the Rain, a creek is not required for Man in the Creek. Confusing I know LOL.

Read the requirements carefully, several times, and again for each challenge before attempting them.

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/the-hardwoodsman-tab-requirements.47683/#post-816026

SWF in the rain is potentially dangerous because you are required to be in a solid rain storm. I got a no-go for not enough rain.

Make sure the temps and your attire are appropriate for this challenge.

23. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    @atlastrekker that would not be a go now...can't use a log or under tree
    make sure you have plenty of shavings since they may get wet and you might need more from under your cover. Luckily I had a lot because my first bunch got wet.
    plenty of split wood as well to ensure a success after all the work in getting things going

24. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    Agreed @kcardwel @atlastrekker it has to be knee high flames, as all of the fire challenges do, and when it is raining, you want to get a lot of heat energy moving as quickly as possible. It needs to be sustainable too.

I made a good amount of shavings and lots of thin splits to build up the heat quickly.

25. Sweeneyguy

Blog Posts:
    Yes! I asked Iz and Terry at the Hardwoods Meet, or was it a Dustup? Either way. LOTS OF LITTLE.

Let me repeat that..... LOTS OF LITTLE.

Make your smaller stuff and shavings last as those will draw the most moisture from the air, even if covered.

26. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    That is an excellent point to remember. I just happen do that naturally for all of my fires but the reasoning behind that is very solid.

27. atlastrekker

Blog Posts:
    I went back through all of the posts in all of the hardwoodsman threads. There are several points where Iz says he is going to change the rules, but never updates the first posts. I took lots of notes as I went through and plan to use them to ask questions before I try a challenge.

Thanks to all of you for going through all of this and clearing things up. Hopefully it will be easier moving forward.

28. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for all the details guys. I made my own Google Doc with the original directions as well as OMRebel's rehash of them, and adding any notes I'm reading from the last few pages.

Is there a particular time goal for the Man in the Creek Drill?

Also for the Solo Overnight, I would assume I can't submit one of the ones I already have done in the last few weeks? Now that I have a dog I don't want to leave him alone at home overnight, haha.

Natural Shelter
    Can I use paracord or would this count as a tool?

wvtracker14 likes this.
  29. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    Maybe a hardwoodsman V2.0 post in the future with the refreshed rules/guidelines would be a nice idea and locking the old ones but referring them in the new post of course for review. Just a thought. Don't mean to step on any toes, I'm just a uppity newbie.

wvtracker14 and atlastrekker like this.
  30. wvtracker14

wvtracker14 Hardwoodsman #9 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    There isn’t any time goal for man in the Creek the main objective is just to get a fire going ASAP. Use pj cotton balls or whatever fire starter you use regularly to get a fire going fast.

No paracord can be used for the natural shelter only, use only what you can find at your shelter location. But you can do the solo overnight and natural shelter all in one night.

31. atlastrekker

Blog Posts:
    I made this up for stage one challenges, trying to make it a little easier for myself and those who come behind me. Comments? Additions? Suggestions?

Attached Files:

GreenFrog, rsnurkle and NWPrimate like this.
  32. Wolfcri

Wolfcri Jim Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  33. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    :35: MOA #1 brings the action. Nice start to the challenges!

:18: and by "cooking them in bacon" you mean, he would have foraged thick cut bacon from some magical, mysterious place in the forest to cook the fish with.

34. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Hardwoodsman #8 Supporter Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    Isle #7 where I forage the thick cut bacon in the subzero freezer at Costco can get pretty intense. Especially when the free samples become available.

35. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
  36. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Good job and a great start!

37. GreenFrog

Blog Posts:
    That is a Go!
    20180110_212125.jpg
    Welcome to the fray

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  38. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    great job

GreenFrog, Wolfcri, OMRebel and 3 others like this.
  39. Sweeneyguy

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the suck buddy!

40. Wolfcri

Blog Posts:
  41. GreenFrog

Blog Posts:
    200_s.gif
    No go. Sorry Bro. Must show more hustle - a sense of urgency, throw stuff on, have fire closer to source of more material. Maybe toss some brush down as a base on snow. Bring it harder on the next try.

42. Sweeneyguy

Blog Posts:
    For what it's worth Iz No-Goed me for the same reason.

Yeah , don't bother breaking branches, just get it on.

Points for bringing a propane torch out.

Oh and you can get the camera a little closer.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  43. Wolfcri

Blog Posts:
    Second, significantly more damp, Man in the Creek Drill.

44. GreenFrog

Blog Posts:
    elmo-on-fire.jpg
    That is a GO. The council approves.

45. Sweeneyguy

Blog Posts:
    Good hustle. That will keep you warm while the fire builds.

Again, a suggestion when using PJ cottonballs. Use a base. Once you light the cotton the PJ starts to liquefy. With no base it just goes into the ground. I have a bunch of "Sure Fire" starters made and carry them. That way I always have a base. IA Woodsman shows them in this video.

46. Wolfcri

Blog Posts:
  47. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    That is a GO
    [​IMG]Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 7.55.37 PM by Ken Cardwell, on Flickr
    some things to consider....make a brace or if you do the teepee fire stamp three posts in and lean all others around it and it won't fall over. keep things off the ground. great job!

48. Wolfcri

Blog Posts:

Thank you!

Yeah, great idea on staking three of the uprights. That would have helped, big time. This is one of those face-palm moments when I wonder how I never thought of something so simple.

49. Sweeneyguy

Blog Posts:
    One thing to remember for stage 2 knee high flames in under a minute.
    From Iz. Also did the cross sticks and got a no go so you can thank me for that rule.

Split wood fire, knee high flames in a minute or less. Please watch the video for instructions. **No brace sticks to make the flames higher faster. No tipi fires. You can use a normal brace and base, just don't get crazy with and modify it to get your flames higher.

owenswoodworking likes this.
  50. atlastrekker

Blog Posts:
    I need some more clarification on the fire chain, please.

Is this supposed to be only a knife and a piece of cordage, nothing else? Can we use a steel striker or do we have to use the knife to strike the local rock for the second fire? Are axes and saws ok for prep as well?

Thanks.