Have you ran into wolves yet?

Discussion in 'Flora & Fauna' started by Duncsquatch, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Scout

Blog Posts:
    In approximately two and a half weeks I will be going up into the Cascades to work for the summer at a camp. Occasionally I hear about wolves that are seen up there recently but I have never seen them. One of my goals this summer is to see some. I was at the camp at a retreat about three weeks ago and another Camp member saw what he said was a really big coyote in the morning while taking a walk. Unfortunately he was a city slicker and had no real idea what he was talking about. I asked him how big it was and he referenced almost waist-high and color and he said it was gray and dark brown or black... excited.

2. S.Decker

S.Decker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I worked for a stone crushing operation, in WI., when I first moved here. There was a pack that would sit on the rim of the quarry, every morning, and watch me while I got the equipment warmed up. SEVEN. That's how many there were, and I made damn sure they were all on the rim, before I turned my back on them. They seemed amused by my antics. Once the crusher was up and running, they'd leave. Musta been too loud for them. Next morning, there they were, ready to do it all over, again.

3. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Do the packs of feral dogs in Detroit count?

Maybe whenever I go to the U.P...

RavenLoon, Haggis, Tangotag and 4 others like this.
  4. Back Off

Back Off Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have seen several in northern MN. I had two, one normal colored and one jet black come into my bear bait one year. I also have seen several driving around in northern MN while hunting. I have herd them while hunting in WI as well. I have an open reed howling call that can get deep enough for a wolf howl and I have gotten them to go a couple of times but they are not as easy to get riled up as coyotes. They are very large, quite a bit larger than I thought they would be. I had one 10 yards away from me at one point.

5. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hmm I have a howler but the pitch isn't variable.

RavenLoon, Haggis and Winterhorse like this.
  6. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've seen a pack of 7, dark colors and a couple silvers North of Grand Marais, MN. A single silver colored feeding on a dead deer next to the highway between Duluth and Two Harbors, MN.

A neighbor took this pic of a little one through their screen door 2 weeks ago. They are around though I still haven't caught a glimpse of the Bobcat that is marking it's territory on my garage.
    [​IMG]

7. Robert Highhawk

Robert Highhawk Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've always found them very elusive. Have seen several but they were moving off. Love to hear them at night. Use to you knew you were in real wilderness when you heard them.

RavenLoon, Haggis, Tangotag and 2 others like this.
  8. Caribou

Caribou Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This was the first winter in 27 years I did not get to snare or shoot Wolves.

I gotta make up for this come next January....

9. Dusty Tom

Dusty Tom Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Last September, on a drizzly day in the Colockum area I saw what I believe to have been a wolf, possibly a wolf/dog hybrid. It was grey, huge and lacking the pointy face coyotes have. My elderly dog and I were just out creeping around quietly, stopping here and there when the creature appeared out of the trees and stood near a puddle. The "wolf" looked around for two or three seconds, my old dog caught up with me noticing the other canine , I gave a little howl at the "wolf" then the creature turned to it's right and crept off. After observing my dog standing in the same spot as the "wolf" I estimate that the creature's back came up to mid thigh on me and probably had about 20lbs on my dog. My dog ( who is now in doggy heaven) weighed 70lbs and had a back that came up to just above my knee. A good day for animal observation, we also walked right up on a beauty of a buck(mule deer) that day on the way back to the truck.

10. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Guide

Blog Posts:
    Spent a lot of time hunting/trapping the southern cascades, never seen a wolf. Ran into them a few times in the bitterroots though!

Fingers crossed hoping to see a pack here in Alaska.

11. Haggis

Haggis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've seen a bunch whilst driving, and wolves follow my snowshoe floats in winter, but that's about it,,,

12. trust_no_one

trust_no_one Tracker

Blog Posts:
    NW Oregon has the wolf population. At least that's what ODFW tel l 's us. OR7 ( ran by my house a few years back his gps collar verified it) a semi famous wandering wolf was last seen near Klamath area. I have seen wolf sign in that area or it was a huge coyote/feral dog. Good luck

RavenLoon and NWPrimate like this.
  13. Back Off

Back Off Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The call I use is made by Critter calls. I bought them a while ago and they are open reed calls which look like a duck call without the barrel on. I have all 3 sizes, cottontail, jack rabbit and howler. I even used them when elk hunting as they can mimmick cow and calf sounds really well. You simply slide the call farther in your mouth or farther out to change the pitch. Thats how I could get a deeper tone to do a wolf howl.

RavenLoon likes this.
  14. mtwarden

mtwarden Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Have seen wolves on numerous occasions here; my most memorable sightings was in the Lamar Valley where a pack went after a herd of elk- they ended up running one cow over a cliff- she landed on her feet on a thin ledge, but no where to go (cliffs above/below)- she was as good as dead. They did end up getting another cow that they feasted on.

On another occasion, two wolves decided to size up a large Bighorn ram- after about 15 minutes, they thought better of it :4:

Sighting wolves in the Cascades will be highly unlikely, but you never know :)

RavenLoon and NWPrimate like this.
  15. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've had two good sightings. One I saw here in the U.P. I was working on a fire as a scout. I just sat down in a burned over area for a break. A very light colored almost white wolf approached within 30 yards of me. Then it noticed I was sitting there and calmly angled off away from me just walking unconcerned. I wondered how it stayed so clean looking walking through all the charred vegetation. The other sighting was recently in Yellowstone. It was laying down about 200 yards off the road in a snow-covered opening near a dead animal it killed. Ravens were feeding on the remains. There were about 30 carloads of people parked and looking at it with long-lensed cameras and binoculars. The wolf seemed unconcerned there too, maybe even basking in the attention.

NWPrimate likes this.
  16. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Scout

Blog Posts:
    Driving near Glacier NP, close to the Canada border we saw a wolf pack almost a decade ago. There were maybe a half dozen wolves on each side of the car, in a field, in the distance. They were running with the car and it was magical moment that will never get forgotten.

17. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Scout

Blog Posts:
    There has been at least one confirmed wolf kill of live stock an another of a "famous" elk that was wearing a tracking collar. Search cle elum wolf and a number of news paper articles come up. They are still few but they are around. Or search teanaway pack to read more.

18. mtwarden

mtwarden Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    no doubt they've expanded their range; generally if there are a few, very good chance there will be more than a few in a couple of years

19. ManyHammers

ManyHammers Tracker

Blog Posts:
    We seen one wolf getting chased of off a roadkill by crows one morning,10 miles north of Milaca.

Definitely not a coyote!

20. MisterHoodoo

MisterHoodoo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We were going to rescue this poor helpless dog, and found on closer inspection that it was one of the rare sea wolves that swim from island to island and beachcomb for much of their food off of Canada's B.C. Coast.
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  21. Isnalawica

Isnalawica Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    First time was 17 years ago in Canada, (Baie James area). I was watching the northern lights and a lone wolf walked up on the trail. I had seen his footprints in the afternoon and had been impressed by the size (hit the brakes on my ATV just to have a closer look). It was my first encounter with a wolf and I admit I was scared. I started considering climbing in the back of an old F350 nearby, hoping to find some sort of weapon. All my gear was in my tent 150 yards away. He stopped and looked at me (probably just a few seconds but it felt like minutes) before running off in the woods.
    Last time was at my cabin in the Alps 2 years ago. I was outside smoking a cigarette in the evening when I heard some noise. I turned on my headlamp and the noise instantly stopped. I didn't see anything at first. I turned my lamp off and they started to run. Turning my lamp back on, I counted 5 wolves ten yards away from me. I kept listening and found out that they were visiting friends (!): 300 yards away from my cabin is a guy who raises sled dogs. The wolves approached and they howled together for a few minutes, before returning to the bush.
    Precious moments...

22. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I love wolf song.
    Had a malamute with real talent , first time your hear him sing your blood curdles .
    Now days I get coyote song , and that's OK but just not the same thing.
    It's expensive too , cost me one of my wild rabbits each time.
    I have encountered wolves in the past but not dangerously close.

Reminds me of a video I watched, of an unarmed guy taunting a coyote ,in the snow.
    First he's trying to befriend the critter, then trying to shoo him away, but each time he moves his rubber booted feet they squeaked, and drew the coyote even closer.
    People don't pay attention to what they are doing and the sounds they make, create problems for them selves.
    He's lucky that squeaking didn't attract the rest of the tribe.

23. JackintheGreen

JackintheGreen Tracker

Blog Posts:
    About a decade and a half ago I was living in central Alaska when a young male wolf got stranded in the park behind my home when the river melted. Fortunately, the "park" was upwards of 200 acres of largely unabused forest so he did okay. My buddies and I amused ourselves by following his tracks and setting up deer cams for him. He ended up staying all summer, became an expert garbage raider, and moved back across river that winter. Easily my best memory from my time up there.

24. dhenson0

dhenson0 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    MisterHoodoo likes this.
  25. MisterHoodoo

MisterHoodoo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts: