Hawaii hiking

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Vpetrell, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Vpetrell

Vpetrell Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm lucky enough to go to Hawaii in June for my honeymoon. I've got 7 days on Maui and 4 days on the big island then 3 in San Francisco

Anyone have any recommendations on hiking on those islands? We have some excursions booked as well, but want to her our feet dirty a bit I'm in process of doing my research as well, but would like some feedback as well.

Thanks!

VP

2. GrayOwl

GrayOwl Tracker

Blog Posts:
    On Maui, Haleakala NP is a must. The hikes there are spectacular, it's like you're hiking on Mars. Get there really early though as it gets busy throughout the day. Bring some warm clothes for the early morning, it can be chilly, but warms up during the day, so layers are important.

Vpetrell likes this.
  3. roadend

roadend Wandering Where I Can

Blog Posts:
    Head to polipoli state park, hike as much or as little as you want amongst the redwoods. Bring warm clothes for the higher elevations. The clouds move in in the afternoon, get started early for high elevation hikes with views.

Vpetrell likes this.
  4. Vpetrell

Vpetrell Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you! I'll will check out both of these places when we are on our trip

5. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The hiking in the Eastern section of Maui we're really good. We tried to do every trail we could find during the two weeks we were there.

We mostly did offroading and exploring during the week we spent around Muana Loa. The Volcano at night is quite beautiful when it is active.

Hiking on the little island was just as the others have said. Bring a light rain jacket and a small backpack for your snacks, water, and insulation. The clouds and rain come on quite suddenly.

Have fun, it was an odd and beautiful place to visit. My wife was stationed there for 3 months, so I spent about a month with her.

Vpetrell likes this.