Heading to Santa Rosa, Ca

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by icemanx722, Jun 30, 2019.

1. icemanx722

icemanx722 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The wife and I are heading to Santa Rosa in a few weeks and would love to hear some suggestions of must do events from those familiar with the area.

Broke, NevadaBlue, Bobsdock and 5 others like this.
  2. brionic

brionic Blissful simpleton Supporter

Blog Posts:
  3. TheGeoSquirrel

TheGeoSquirrel Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Santa Rosa where? New Mexico or some other Santa Rosa.
    Santa Rosa NM home of the blue hole, big deep and very clear. Great for scuba diving.

NevadaBlue, Bobsdock and M.Hatfield like this.
  4. icemanx722

Blog Posts:
    Very cool! I learned something today. I should have clarified that we will be in California.

NevadaBlue, Bobsdock and M.Hatfield like this.
  5. tch1718a

tch1718a Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wife and i were in Santa Rosa for work just before they had the fires go through there, so some things may have changed.

I did lots of bicycling there, both to the coast and through wine country. Lots of homeless people in the area but i didn't have any issues with them, nor did i go to "their areas", though i did go by those areas often.
    Charles Schultz of Snoopy fame had lived in the area so lots of "Peanuts" related things all over town. There is a Snoopy ice rink worth seeing.
    The coast is close, as is redwood forests, in some cases very close to each other. I didn't find any place to do bushcraft stuff, but i did hang a hammock in a park downtown a couple times.

It's a nice area,and was my introduction to California. The worst part of it to me was how often i saw people shooting heroin on the bike trail in town. Outside the center of town was beautiful views and great rides.

NevadaBlue, Bobsdock and icemanx722 like this.
  6. brionic

Blog Posts:
    Point of order - forget about any firecraft. No open flames, period. You won't miss it considering the weather and scenery.

7. fixits

fixits Noble Savage Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Bodega bay

Drive out to Bodega Head with some good wine, bread n cheese.

NevadaBlue, Bobsdock and icemanx722 like this.
  8. LJHfrstr

LJHfrstr Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Lived in Petaluma, the town just south of Santa Rosa, for 4 years. It's been 15 years, so things may have changed.
    --Sequoia Burger
    --Mike at the Crossroads (also a burger place)
    --Sonoma taco. Authentic, monster loaded burritos. Puts Chipotle and Moes to shame.
    --Bodega Bay. Some cool shops, good eats, and great views. Popular viewing area for seeing migrating whales
    --Point Reyes Park. This...all the way. Fantastic spot and a beautiful drive in. The bay there is a great white shark breeding ground. You'll see plenty of kayakers out there. The park itself is awesome. There's a heard of albino deer that I got to see only a couple times while driving into the park. I hope they're still there. You're almost guaranteed to see some elk in the park as well. There are a few pulloffs that lead down to some very neat beaches and better yet, you often get the beach almost all to yourself. Main part of the park is also awesome. Great hikes along the ocean cliffside. There's often fog, but when there is it adds to the ambiance and almost makes it worth not having the ocean views. Go here, you will not regret it.
    --Armstrong Woods. If you want to see a redwood forest and avoid the crowds of the more popular Muir woods, then go here. It's just as beautiful and more private than Muir. It's also the redwood forest where they filmed much of Star Wars when they were with the Ewoks.
    --Sequoia national park. Another very cool spot. Massive sequoias.
    --Downtown Petaluma. Great antique stores that I hope are still there. Mystic Theatre - small, classic theatre. Got to hear Huey Lewis and the News play there. You should check out who is playing. Best food in the area, cool waterfront, Petaluma Coffee is yummy, and this is the town Lagunitas Brewery go there start in. I remember my dad being ticked when Lagunitas sold out to a big company after promising all the locals that they'd never do anything like that.

It's an awesome place and you won't be able to help but have a good time. Most of the places above are the "key" areas I took my wife so she could experience the area.

Enjoy. And go to Point Reyes.

9. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Will you be traveling I-80 through Nevada?

icemanx722 likes this.
  10. icemanx722

Blog Posts:
    We will be flying this trip.

11. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  12. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    I live here.

I’d have to point out where the fires came thru. It’s grown back well, and the house-builds have really ramped up. It’s looking great

The Sonoma State Fair will be here then. Also Santa Rosa’s Wednesday night market. Every Wed; They close off the roads around the town square and there are great food booths and beer venders. The Paella booth is my favorite. Music too! Super fun. We have Russian River Brewery downtown Santa Rosa and they are consistently one of the nations beer producers. You have to try it if you like beer.

The county fair. Super fun. Check to see who is in concert when you are here. Sometimes biggish names do a show. They have fun horse racing on Thursday evenings very low pressure, just for fun betting. I suck btw. The 4H kids are in full show with their animals.

Oyster season is over :(

Of course there is wine tasting. Coppola’s has a summer event where you can rent a table space around the winery swimming pool. Good food, good wine. Most wineries will allow you to pack a nice picnic and enjoy one of their park benches. Manzantas creek near my home is celebrating their lavender bloom by now. It’s pretty spectacular.

Beer? petaluma is hitting it out of the park. Laguinitas beer is well known.

Food. Oh boy. We have great restaurants. PM me and I can point out a few. If you head west to the beach. Yea. Stop by WildFlour Bakery and get some sourdough. They still make it the old way with a ferment starter, and the bread is profound. The make a big as your face cinnamon roll. They only open Friday to Sunday. You will be the hero if you have a knife to cut bread :)

In Windsor Ca just next door, they also have a Thursday “night on the green “. It’s a free music event. Great food and drink. A wonderful family vibe. They also opened a Russian River “superstore” in Windsor. I like the downtown location in Santa Rose way better.

I’ll chime in again as things pop into my mind.

brionic and icemanx722 like this.
  13. icemanx722

Blog Posts:
    It’s cool to see people mention Russian River Brewery. We have never been to it but that is the reason we are going out. The owner is my wife’s cousin and we are going there to celebrate her Aunt’s birthday.
    Great suggestions all! Really looking forward to this trip.

brionic likes this.
  14. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ahhh! You gave an insider!

My beer is BLIND PIG. happy birthday to the auntie.

Don’t tell the aunt we suggested Lagaunitas :)

icemanx722 likes this.
  15. Maligator707

Maligator707 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hop monk in Sebastopol has excellent beer. Sonoma isn’t to far if you like wine. Bodega is nice, check out the Tides restaurant made famous by the Hitchcock movie The Birds. Hog Island Oyster company on Hwy 1 is good too. Head up Hwy 101 to Cloverdale and take Hwy 128 towards Ft. Bragg, very windy Hwy, but you’ll see some of the most beautiful Redwood Forests.

brionic and icemanx722 like this.
  16. brionic

Blog Posts:
    Mendocino is a lovely coastal hippie town for brief respite after you've made it through 128 and the above mentioned glorious forests.

South, along the coast, is an old Russian fort, Ross - yes, they colonized the west coast before the US did - for your perusal.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    icemanx722 likes this.
  17. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    hey. tell your auntie RRBrewery needs to step up their food game. the food is bad compared to the rest of the beer community.

Fogbelt down the street has arguably one of the best burgers in the city. RRB does pizza crust dippy things..err..no.

and HopMonk doesnt belong in this thread :) its a great place,but they are just a tap-room. we are at the AUNTIE's family brewery!! the birthplace of Pliny the Younger.

NOW OP,..why are you not coming in Feb when they tap Pliny the Younger!! it is so much fun!! this next year, i am gonna pass. my goal is to taste HenHouses' limited release BIG CHICKEN.

icemanx722 likes this.
  18. icemanx722

Blog Posts:
    I have heard that when they tap Pliny the Younger that it is a scene. I don’t drink but may have to go out there in Feb. just to witness the madness. My wife’s Aunt is turning 90 and that is the purpose of this trip.

19. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    okay. no drinking. check!

btw, July 6 and Aug 31 are both free fishing days. so no fishing license needed. just in case you wanna try some surf fishing. (or any fishing)