Healthy Calorie Replacement

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Medic17, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The conversation frequently comes up about calorie replacement while hiking and various other situations where climate control may not be available.

A packet of Ramen frequently comes to mind.
    While Ramen and Slim Jims can be somewhat satisfying, they stink as far as nutrition goes.
    They are loaded with salt and generally offer little nutrition.

Let's talk about healthy alternatives that store well in your pack.
    Something that can be packed away for a bit, maybe rotated every 6 months or so.
    Something that survives temperature extremes of being stored in a vehicle is a plus.

I started off carrying Mountain House and Power Bars.

Gave it a little thought and my go-to changed to Cliff Bars and Backpackers Pantry.

I now have switched to LARABars, RX Bars, and Hawke Vittles.

2. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Dry oats and peanutbutter. Various seeds like chia flax and hemp .
    Pouches of fish . Tuna and salmon come to mind.
    Nuts. Unsalted .

I like Kind bars .Low sugar with no artificial sugars .

Im a diabetic. And watch what I eat.

Eta . None of those last forever but I eat what I store. They are all edible without cooking but you can cook with them .

If I had to add to that Id pick popcorn kernels. Very versatile .

3. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Have you looked into lifeboat survival bars? There are lots of discussions on here about them. High calorie, ok nutrition, ok taste. Lasts forever. Even walk Mart carries them.

4. happywanderer

happywanderer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like mixed nuts, dried fruit and fish jerky that I dehydrate myself. None of those have a six-month shelf life, but they'll last long enough for a decent trip, and I eat them at home, so no problem rotating them out. Handle temperatures pretty well too.

5. Medic17

Blog Posts:
    @Bridgetdaddy
    Lifeboat rations offer a few calories.
    Not exactly what I consider decent eating.
    They are mostly Wheat, Vegetable Shortening, and a Multi Vitamin.

@Paulyseggs
    I have thought about canned fish, sardines in particular.
    Not sure on how they store in a vehicle for a few months though.

@happywanderer
    Agree Nuts and Vac Packed homemade jerky is GTG.

6. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Canned fish stores pretty well . Most grocery store rooms are hot as hell.

You'll know if its been compromised .Swollen or leaky.

Pouches are lighter. But as far as I'm concerned .Canned pink salmon and mackerel are the most "bang for your buck"

7. byksm

byksm Scout

Blog Posts:
    larabars, kind bars and tanka bars are my usuals.
    probars have a decent calorie count but the ingredients are a long list.

8. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Mountain House and Cliff Bars here. I also keep a block of the lifeboat rations in the cars, for a between meal snack. Mmy kids really like the lemon ones. *shrug*

I used to keep a couple of MREs handy in the cars, mainly for their self-heating feature. My wife really hates them though and I could never get my kids to even take a taste, so what's the point?

9. field-expedient

field-expedient Misfit Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I like kippered snacks, the little single serving cans of fruit cocktail and baked beans, and the little boxes of tuna salad with crackers.

10. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I’m a big fan of Justin’s nut butter packets. They come in a large variety and pack some good fat calories.

Homemade almond butter has been my go-too since we have been Keto/low carb. Add some cacao power and/or coconut oil for variety.

Gecco304, Tangotag, NWPrimate and 3 others like this.
  11. Sandcut

Sandcut 3% Neanderthal Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Plain, old fashioned trail mix. Granola, raisins and/or craisins, peanuts (preferably honey roast). And I'll be a heretic and state that chocolate has NO place in trail mix. That's an abomination in the eyes of the Lord!

Think about what food does. Carbohydrates run the body energy-wise. Fats do, too to a lesser degree. Proteins are structural mostly and don't provide much energy. That's why the Atkins diet causes you to lose weight. You catabolyze fats for energy.

A good trail mix offers a blend of simple sugars for immediate use, complex carbs for mid-term energy and fats for long -term energy. Plus, it's darned tasty.

12. Medic17

Blog Posts:
    I just found
    "Green Belly"
    Meal replacement bars, anyone have any thoughts or reviews?

13. crewhead05

crewhead05 caffeine, nicotine, knives and nature. Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Those green bellys look legit. Will have to give them a try. Its funny the refer to joe rogan as a podcaster after his review comment.

14. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just threw out several life boat rations. They offer empty calories for when your doing nothing but surviving. For the weight you can do better. I generally keep three Packit Gourmet meals in my pack since it's my preferred meals when I'm out and about. A mylar vacuum packed bag of trail mix is good for morale and carbs. A 3oz summer sausage is good for a quick "on the go" meal too. A vacuum sealed bag of gatorade goes a long way on a hot day on the trail too. Sometimes there is a boil in bag of Uncle Bens rice, a bag of chicken chunks, and two chicken bullion in my pack for variety. If it were to be stored in the car then all food is to be stored in a diy reflectix pouch.

gohammergo, Guttersnipe and Tangotag like this.
  15. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    If you click on Joe's face it jumps right to JRE episode #939. "Chris Cage is the founder of Greenbelly Meals and also the author of How To Hike The Appalachian Trail: A Comprehensive Guide to Plan and Prepare for a Successful Thru-Hike."

Guttersnipe and crewhead05 like this.
  16. crewhead05

crewhead05 caffeine, nicotine, knives and nature. Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Ha. That makes more sense then. I love the JRE podcasts but found it funny that his description was a podcaster vs everything else he does. Let us know if you try those meals. Id be interested.

Guttersnipe and Tangotag like this.
  17. Danny Boy

Danny Boy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Canned beans, canned tuna or salmon, a pack of crackers and some pepper and I can eat indefinitely. Make sure the cans tops are removable without an opener and that you rinse the contents to get rid of all the salt. And make your own packs of trailmix for snacking. I'd stay away from the candy bars that people sell as "protein" or "health bars." You are really better off eating a Snickers.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Guttersnipe, blind & lost and Sandcut like this.
  18. Medic17

Blog Posts:
    I agree canned stuff stores well and it is cheap. However it weighs a TON!

A simple overnight, sure no problem. Past that you are adding up the lbs.

Plus
    Pouch stuff I can handle but cans stink to pack out.

Trying to keep it more in the lines of mobile food storage.

Guttersnipe, JOttum and FIELDCRAFTLTC like this.
  19. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Are you talking food for a 2-3 day solo camp?

Having food available for an impromptu camp out with no prep?

Or more of an emergency ration?

For the last I’d go with MRE’s.

20. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The biggest thing in my area is finding stuff to withstand FL heat if left in a vehicle. Powerboats quickly become a sticky mess, with Cliffs bars not doing much better. Slim Jims usually end up having the fat leech out in a disgusting mess. Toting a GHB into my job isn't an option. Seems like anything that can tolerate the heat can't tolerate more than about a week of it.

Guttersnipe and blind & lost like this.
  21. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    Put the items inside a reflectix pouch and they will withstand it much better. I too live in Florida and that is how I solve the issue of excessive heat.

22. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm going to have to experiment and try that.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  23. Gruntinhusaybah

Gruntinhusaybah Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    MetRX Big 100 protein bars. Chocolate chip and peanut butter varieties. IIRC they are pretty packed and relatively low on sugar. Coconut oil, honey, hard salami and smoked hard cheeses would be other options depending on environment.

The Big 100 bars survived Iraq heat with no issues.

24. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am a big fan of Clif Bars. Great variety of flavors, tasty,and filling. With some coffee, it is pretty much a meal. The only problem is that sub-freezing temperatures make the bars hard enough for construction projects (especially when left in the car overnight). So, if I am out in the wintertime (deer hunting, for example), I stick a Clif Bar into a shirt pocket or inside coat pocket, and it stays nice and chewy from my tromping around the woods, without getting messy like a Snickers or Milky Way does.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Guttersnipe and Usingmyrights like this.
  25. JOttum

JOttum North Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been using the packets of Lite Spam Singles lately and I really love them. good on their own, mixed in ramen or even with tortillas or bread.

26. bosque bob

bosque bob Scout

Blog Posts:
    Another good thread, thanks.

I prefer Jerky (either what I make or local made), thick rolled oats (easily soaked), home dried fruit, a mix of nuts, instant potatoes, some coffee and a little salt and pepper for basic general use. Not much weight and together with some fresh trout makes pretty good fare. Unfortunately, if I want to fish these days I have to travel a long way since all the forests are closed and a bunch are on fire. Hard cheese and maybe some olives are added for more immediate use.

Depending on the ratios the list seems to cover basic nutritional requirements and with a little creative effort some variety as well. I'm considering dehydrating some vegetables to add to the mix.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  27. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    My day pack staples; Jerky, honey, Dry or honey roasted nuts, sunflower seeds, Lipton instant chicken noodle soup, hot cocoa/coffee, SPAM and MRE crackers/peanut butter or cheese.

28. WisconsinEric

WisconsinEric Scout

Blog Posts:
    Fats are calorie dense. 9cal per gram, carbs are only 4cal per gram. MCT Oil, coconut oil, natural nut butters. The human brain is composed of fats, and all hormones are made from cholesterol. Cliff Bars contain large amount of Soy. Soy is $hit. I have been 100% Soy-Free for over 6yrs. Best thing I ever did for my health. Soy is the largest source of inflammatory Omega 6's in the American diet. Soy raises estrogen too. Careful with those Cliff Bars.

29. Burncycle

Burncycle Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Most of my medium term storage is MRE entree based. I carefully slice open the flap on the top of the boxes that MRE entrees come in and slip in a heater, spoon, small drink mix powder sachet and couple of wet naps, then tape it back shut, so its everything needed along with water for a quick bite.

When I need to save even more room (like making a 20 liter daypack into a 3 day pack) I line the back of the pack with the MRE entree retort pouches minus the box it comes with since they're so flat, slightly overlapping. Takes up practically no room in the bag, and I can get 9 in there (3 per day). Have a few cliff bars in there as well to use on the go, and in the bottom of my pack a 2400 cal lifeboat ration. I like subtle flavors and the flavor isn't bad, and can help flesh out a meal and get those calories up, or give you something if you eat through all your planned food and unexpectedly end up having to stay out longer.

Before going out I pick up other snacks (beef jerky, trail mix, etc)

If I need lots of food with minimal weight (volume not as big an issue) I have a bunch of LRRP freeze dried rations (Basically mountain house propak, but formed into a cube for easier packing), some of the bags of instant potatoes, and ramen, which need to be rotated out more often of course.

30. POGEYBAIT

POGEYBAIT Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Don't eat ramen noodles! I know, I love them too, but I've seen a lot of negative things recently about them. I replaced them with German egg noodles.

31. designtom

designtom Scout

Blog Posts:
    I carry two packages of Ramens on every trip. I only eat one or two pack per year. More of my backup rations.

In my pack, I've always got stuff from the dollar store:
    Peanuts, cashews, mixed nuts
    cereal bars, granola bars
    one Little Debbie Cosmic Brownie
    Dollar General has a protein pack with peanuts/jerky/sunflower seeds, that's my favorite.
    Individual serving Gatorade mix
    two packs of instant oatmeal
    Individual spam slices, or some other meat product
    Chicken salad/cracker box
    Smoked kipper fish canned
    Tortillas
    PB & Jelly individual packs from food service vendors (Cisco / US foods)
    Dried fruit (varies)
    Jiffy blueberry muffin mix
    Dry dog food (not for me, for the dog)
    Pemmican brand food bars (I think they're perfect, almost edible, but usually left for last)
    Coffee

As I go out the door, I raid the fridge:
    German or Austrian butter dish with half butter, half bacon
    onion
    Tater
    carrots
    garlic
    greens (asparagus, frozen vegts)
    frozen meat (venison, hamburger or chicken breasts)

If it's a two - 3 night I add some dehydrated meals leftover from previous trips.

If it's four nights, well hopefully I've actually done some planning and purchasing groceries in advance.

I'm finding that more and more of my trips occur because of cancellation of family plans/commitments, so I'm learning to pack immediately after my return so that I'm ready to go anytime, anywhere.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018