Healthy insect repellent

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by Nick Dundua, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Nick Dundua

Nick Dundua Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Here's a tip some may not know , vinegar is a great insect repellent, especially apple vinegar , it works both to keep mosquitos out and to stop itching after they bit , I'm very sure most of you have it in your home so its good to know , I dont buy any commercial stuff , vinegar always does the job

PS if your wife gets angry or cops pull you over and say you smell like you've been drinking dont blame me :)

Other then that give it a try ;)

2. Nick Dundua

Blog Posts:
    I use vinegar from home made wine so when I sleep I smell good as well , love it lol

3. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    How do you use it? Spray, cloth.....?

Holtzcraft likes this.
  4. Mtnwoman

Mtnwoman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Never thought to try it before I get bit, but I do add it to a hot bath after. It's very soothing and stops the itch.

insector, Jim L. and Holtzcraft like this.
  5. Nick Dundua

Blog Posts:
    I just use cloth and rub it on , it truly helps

6. chansta

chansta keeper of the flame Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I wonder if it works better than bug dope. Otherwise, I like camp fire smoke for this purpose!

insector and Jim L. like this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Dad said that old timers carried cider vinegar for when they eat some where they are unfamiliar.
    I try to remember to take a swig of vinegar in the morning before breakfast and a little drink of water to wash it down .
    do you realize the catsup would turn bad fast without vinegar in it's making. Any time I've gotten a signal that I have eaten something questionable I take a shot of vinegar and it's over.
    I keep a small squirt bottle in my EDC and it had=s come in handy several times especially if I've got a cough due to something hanging up in my throat (phlegm).

insector, FIELDCRAFTLTC and JoeJ like this.
  8. MASC1104

MASC1104 Old Dominion Resident Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Commonwealth of Virginia - The Mother of States
    I gotta try this. Thanks for posting.

insector likes this.
  9. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Interesting, I will give it a try. Thanks!

insector likes this.
  10. JoeJ

JoeJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Give it a try, I tried everything that came along, both homemade and commercial. I wore that battery powered gadget that was suppose to sound like a male mosquito wanting to mate, took sulfur pills and a slue of other methods and nothing worked including those coils.

BUT - I can say I’ve found two methods that positively work to keep mosquitos and most other biting bugs at bay. They are ThermaCell and Bushman. Both can be seen in my avatar.

Bushman is manufactured in Australia and is not EPA approved, so you need to order on the internet and hope it’s not seized by Customs. It’s not illegal, just not approved for sale here in the USA or Canada.

Bushman when applied will last up to 6/8 hours and you can sweat all you want and it still stays effective. By effective, I mean, you won’t have one mosquito bite! That stuff in small green bottles issued in that far away land, many years ago contained 100% deet and lasted 20/30 minutes before needing to be reapplied but it did keep bugs off, gave you a tinny taste in your mouth and melted plastic! Bushman has 80% deet without the after-mentioned side effects of the VN era dope.

As far as I’m concerned, Bushman as an “invention” is better than sliced bread.

11. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    wife makes a concoction of essential oils as insect repellents
    something like eucalyptus and peppermint oils I think
    we have a reusable spray bottle and has worked great

buckfynn, insector and FIELDCRAFTLTC like this.
  12. rbinhood

rbinhood Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't want anything with DEET in it. I think that stuff is toxic. If you do a Google search, I think you will find some formulas for some home brews that work pretty good.

insector likes this.
  13. JoeJ

JoeJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Working pretty good versus no bites can be a bit irritating when you’re in heavy bug cover. One can dress in bug suits and wear a head net for good protection. I know of nothing that will keep mosquitos away from you for 6 hours like Bushman does.

Deet might be toxic but for a week or two in heavy infestation of black flies and mosquitos, it’s God Sent for some of us. Now in most areas just using Skin-so-Soft will do a fair job and you’ll only get bitten a dozen times or so in an afternoon/early evening - BUT - in Northeast Minnesota such as Ely, Grand Marais etc and Northern Ontario, Canada mosquitos can be a real problem on portages, around a campfire or eating outdoors - not to mention just being out & about enjoying Nature.

My brother seen 2 Forest Rangers checking campsites in the BWCA that looked like they had a bad case of measles from mosquito bites but they refused assistance due to Deet - I guess some don’t get bothered as much as others.

I still don’t know why the 1st Nation Natives in Northern Ontario aren’t bothered by mosquitos, as most of their cabins/homes in the bush just use plastic for windows in the winter and have open space windows all summer and no problem. As soon as I get out of the pickup without dope on I attract a bazillion mosquitos immediately. 1st Nation kids are playing outside with no shirts on and no mosquitos - just a mystery to me.

buckfynn likes this.
  14. Dpinga

Dpinga Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    insector likes this.
  15. Hillbilly stalker

Hillbilly stalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Penny Royal for bug repellant. Vinegar soaked brown bag AKA "Poke" laid on a sunburn gives great relief.

insector likes this.
  16. FreudianSlip

FreudianSlip Guide

Blog Posts:
    Isn’t penny royal part of Kenoharts bug dope recipe?

17. FIELDCRAFTLTC

FIELDCRAFTLTC Roughian #10 Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have been using this stuff - it works and smells really good too!
    IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg

buckfynn, Harper, insector and 2 others like this.
  18. Mangrove

Mangrove Scout

Blog Posts:
    "Historia de Gentibus Septentrionalibus" by Swedish Olaus Magnus from 1555 has a recipe for insect repellent. Wormwood (Artemisia absinthium) is mixed with vinegar, dried and burned; the smoke will rebel mosquitos. Ointment can be made from wormwood and meadow-rue (thalictrum-). The latter one can be also replaced with blackseed (Nigella sativa).

19. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    buckfynn and insector like this.
  20. insector

insector Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have used deet in the past and dont like the way it melts nylon and plastic either. Some individuals seem to attract the insects and ticks more than others for one reason or another..........

Luckily, I wont get bit as much as others around me .... I really dont know why. But I will try the vinegar. If it works that sounds just fine by me........I been trying the non deet stuff for 6 or 8 years now and use the "no bite me" type stuff also.

The variety of choices of non-deet type stuff is getting larger all the time. And more effective.

But I will try the vinegar this summer allright...........yo

21. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just can’t deal with vinegar. You see I grew up the only male in a house full of women,3. Back then they each used it monthly to clean their women parts. The bathroom seemed to always smell of vinegar. To this day I can’t smell it without getting sick much less put it on me or drink it....just can’t get past growing up with women...

buckfynn likes this.
  22. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    DA aroma therapy makes great all natural repellent . I've been using it lately with great results .