Heavy Cover Titanium & USGI Canteen Comparison

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Lerch, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Lerch

Lerch Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The HeavyCover Titanium canteen kit has been getting a more and more exposure. I have been using mine a lot since I got it and I have been nothing but impressed with this piece of kit. I figured it was time to do a full side by side comparison with the USGI kit it replaced.

Here is the comparison video I made.
    [video=youtube_share;pulVVdo_IJ0]http://youtu.be/pulVVdo_IJ0[/video]

[​IMG]

There are some noteable improvments in the titanium kit. Most obvious is that you can boil in the canteen itself. The next thing that you notice when you pick up an empty canteen is how light it is. The full titanium kit with cup lid and all weights in at 10.4oz while the USGI canteen with the stainless canteen cup lid weighs in at a hefty 1 pound 1.8oz.

[​IMG]

The next difference that stands out is the neck. The USGI canteen has a much smaller bottle neck than the HeavyCover Titanium canteen. It uses the same size lid as the popular Klean Canteen bottles. I should note here that the the titanium canteen comes with a plastic lid and the titanium lid is an upgrade but it is really worth the minimal extra cost. After I recieved this canteen I promptly set the plastic lid aside and I was unable to locate it for this comparison.

[​IMG]

Both canteen kits nest with a standard USGI canteen cup stove and fit the common GI style canteen pouch.

Below are some detailed comparison pictures. I hope this helps answer questions that some folks have regarding this top of the line canteen kit. If you still have any questions about something specific shout out here and I will try to answer it.

[​IMG]

Continued:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  2. Lerch

Blog Posts:
    Continued:

More pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking

3. brionic

brionic Blissful simpleton Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Nicely shown, Lerch. I'm really happy with mine so far, although I have a way to go to consider it "used".

I wish the canteen lip were rolled over a little bit tighter, but that's just hair splitting.

Great kit, with a great story.

4. TStilwell

TStilwell Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for posting this, I didn't even know it existed. I am guessing that the fluid capacity is a little north of a quart? Do you know of a good source for these? If the price point is similar to the SS canteen shop canteen I would probably be persuaded to pick this over that.
    Terry

5. perrymk

perrymk Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Awesome review. You really need to add before and after photos of your wallet (says the guy with two Heavy Cover titanium canteen kits.:D)

6. Lerch

Blog Posts:
    To answer your questions:
    The TI canteen holds 1.1 Liter (37 ounces), the TI cup holds 23.7 ounces.
    You can buy the basic kit at the HeavyCover webpage. http://www.heavycoverinc.com/heavy-...en-mess-kit-with-standard-tritan-plastic-cap/
    Current price point for the basic kit is $143.00

I do want to note that my goal here isn't to influence anyone to pick one kit over the other. While I am a fan of this piece of kit and the company behind it I am NOT a salesperson. The point of this comparison is to show it alongside the USGI canteen which is something most people have experience with so they can draw some conclusions from their experience.

That said here is some of my personal commentary on the kit:
    First since this is personal commentary and not just specs and measurements as in the first post I need to note in full disclosure that I make leather products for HeavyCover.

I have used this kit a lot and had a lot of field time with it. I have not had it long enough to write a "Final Review". So far though I am supremely impressed with it.

This is not a cheap kit but you get what you pay for. Keep in mind that this kit is made out of titanium. Titanium equipment is a lot more expensive than stainless, not to mention tougher and lighter. Titanium has an even greater corrosion resistance than stainless. This kit is actually built with .5 mm titanium. I believe the standard thickness for titanium products such as the SnowPeak pots is .3mm so this one is tougher than even those kits.

The HeavyCover is a top of the line kit. Likely to be the last water carrying kit you will have to buy in your life so while the upfront payout is high it is still a tremendous value.

Also Heavy Cover is a USMC combat veteran-owned business run by a truly stand up guy, which may or may not matter to you. I try to do as much business as I can with companies that display integrity.

Thanks guys,
    Lerch

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  7. TStilwell

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for the response and info. My desire for one or more of these was only influenced by your post making me aware they exist lol. I like titanium, it's what my wedding band is made of, but there ends my experience with it, though that has let me know that it's really tough stuff. I do hope to get a few of them in the future though presently even one is outside of my means.
    The vote of confidence in the company, and owner actually does mean a lot to me. More and more I want to keep my business with good people and companies. Before seeing your post I didn't know that this product was available or anything about the company, so thank you for that info as well as the technical spec on the capacity and your thoughts on the kit.
    God bless
    Terry

blind & lost and azmike9 like this.
  8. Lerch

Blog Posts:
    Excellent, and thanks for the response. I was happy to reply... and yeah they are not exactly an impulse buy item :D

9. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder

Blog Posts:
    Nice comparison. Thanx Bro

10. TStilwell

Blog Posts:
    Haha, reading that I heard my wife's voice say, "You paid how much for a water bottle?" And then had to imagine how I would explain an impulse buy that cost that much, no matter how awesome it was.
    I am trying to move away from plastic stuff in favor of metal or wood wherever possible. So this is going on the to get list, unless I find one used for sale or trade it'll likely be later rather than sooner but now I know it's an option, and darn fine one at that.
    Thank you.

11. Duane Perry

Duane Perry Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    The kit is 160$ plus 6$ for shipping. Not cheap, but I just ordererd one

12. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    These do show up on the trade blanket now and then. I bought one from Cro for a C note.

13. Scoman

Scoman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    One for the OP does the mug and bottle fit into a GI canteen carrier? I do like the ACU pattern but it's a tad expensive over here and don't want to buy if it doesn't fit.

14. dreamin

dreamin Scout

Blog Posts:
    If your asking if the HC canteen and canteen cup fit in the military issued USGI canteen carrier the answer is yes. You can also squeeze in the canteen cup lid as well, but it's tight.

15. Scoman

Scoman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Cheers chum

16. wizard

wizard Guide

Blog Posts:
    Very nice information. I guess if you want one, the price is acceptable. I really wish they'd make a titanium cup that would fit the Nalgene Oasis and USGI plastic canteens and sell it by itself. I would like a cup that is lighter than the SS, 10oz cup but I cannot afford $150 for a set and even it I had the money I'd likely pass. Just too much for my taste.

woodsranger likes this.
  17. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    do they not sell just the HC titanium canteen cup and cover any more? they used to. that's what I use with my 32oz Nalgene Oasis canteen.

the Ti cup and cover, along with their Ti spoon/fork combo tool and Esbit Ultralight Folding Pocket Stove with 6 Esbit tabs stored inside makes about as perfect a 3-day kit as you could want...

not my pic or ti cup but shows how rectangular flame of the folding Esbit stove is perfect for Kidney shape of canteen cup...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  18. Scoman

Scoman Tracker

Blog Posts:
  19. Flash

Flash Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I know this is an older post, but I was looking at this kit. I see it's made by Keith Titanium for heavy cover. Anyone know if it's the same kit? I know Keith Titanium is very high quality, and the heavy cover kit is slightly less money, not sure about the quality difference of they are the same.

20. Broke

Broke I found my hat! Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    They are one and the same.

21. Flash

Flash Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for that info,.. that is what I was thinking, but was not sure. Really interested in this set.

22. Broke

Broke I found my hat! Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Buying off of amazon the Keith set is $158, buying from HC it is $155, both come with the same stuff. I will most likely order from HC when I get enough fun money saved up.
    Unless I fall into another amazon gift card.

Kreger and Luzster like this.
  23. Odie

Odie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Based on the side-by-side comparisons, it looks to me like all the weight savings are in the cup and lid. And the bulk of the expense is in the canteen. On the HC website, just the cup and lid sell for $55.

Does anyone rock dual canteen kits and if so, is it worth having two lids? Does lid that comes with the HC titanium cup fit the USGI cup? I'm looking to add another cup and a lid or two to my setup.

My current setup consists of 2 MOLLE pouches, 2 Nalgene Oasis bottles, a USGI cup, and a modified type 2 stand.

Another USGI cup and a couple of those Pathfinder lids should only cost about $20 less than the HC cup and lid. It seems like a substantial weight reduction to add a titanium cup and one lid than to add another steel cup and steel lid.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Broke likes this.