Heavy holiday crowds force road closures at Acadia NP...

Discussion in 'Maine' started by x39, Jul 6, 2017.

1. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Interesting, even the newly expanded Schoodic division on the mainland had a road closure due to heavy traffic. It was hoped it would alleviate some of the crowding on Mt. Desert Island where the main part of the park is. Friends who have travelled in the west have told me they encountered the same thing at Bryce and Zion...
    http://acadiaonmymind.bangordailyne...=Bangor+Daily+News&utm_source=outdoors-widget

2. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is an example of why I visit those areas in the off season. If I am honest, I cannot stand the summer crowds in Acadia having been there in June/July a few times.

3. x39

Blog Posts:
    I live about an hour from there and I really try to avoid the island during the summer, and if I do have to go I make it a weekday.

4. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The up side is that a lot of people are getting out to our parks instead of staying at home.

BTW my wife and I spent our honeymoon on the island. So did my daughter and son-in-law. And as an odd coincidence his parents also honeymooned there about three months after ours.

5. VtBlackDog

VtBlackDog Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I did my part to help fix it...I worked all weekend :/

rsnurkle, bumma and x39 like this.
  6. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    After Labor Day. :)

x39 likes this.
  7. x39

Blog Posts:
    Ha! Yes for sure. Here in downeast Maine we call the month of September "Our summer".

8. bumma

bumma I'm not lost. Just a bit confused. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I read the article and looked at the pictures.

How can that be fun!?

:11:

Leshy_apprentice, ManyHammers and x39 like this.
  9. MountainLark

MountainLark Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It's definitely happening out West, as well. Rocky Mountain, Zion, and Yellowstone are three-ring circuses all the way to the end of autumn. Thankfully there's a lot of state parks and other places that are still relatively unvisited.

Leshy_apprentice and x39 like this.
  10. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I did a nation wide camping/backpacking/etc road trip several years back. Took the course of several months spanning spring til autumn. Some of those big name National Parks (e.g
    Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Denali, Yosemite...) are ridiculous for the crowds. Seriously, the crowds in the valleys, where the visitor centers are or the famous spots like waterfalls are packed with so many tourists you'd think you were in downtown NYC!

Yes, it's good that people are experiencing nature in some capacity. Yes, the tourist revenue helps the Parks budget. But the whole "crowd" experience set me to off season only visits at big national parks and state parks.

National Forests are usually my preference due to generally larger expanse, less development, and less crowd. They have their natural beauty, though I find it usually to be more from direct sublime experience of the wilderness in contrast to the "showy" wonders of the national parks. National Forests do have more "showy" developed areas for sightseeing, but also lots of backcountry wilderness.

Now, don't get me wrong, I saw some of the most awesome natural sights of my life in National Parks. And I spent a couple weeks backpacking Denali National Park in Alaska which is one of my all time top excursions.

National Parks are great. Crowds just aren't my thing. I've been to Acadia twice, both times in late Autumn off season. It wasn't shoulder-to-shoulder crowded, no traffic jams like the peak season mess you guys were talking about. But there were plenty of visitors even in the off season. Always running into people as we went along, as I expect to do at a big name park.

Even if the overall percent of us who prefer off-season visits to "beat the crowd" is low, given the huge population, this lower percentage still translates to a pretty substantial absolute number of folks out there trying to "beat the system" with off season visits. Some people have little choice about peak season visits (it's when their kids are on school vacation or the only time they can get off work). But there are many who target the off season trying to beat the crowd, and that adds up!

This is the main reason why I try targeting low user density "areas" rather than lower user density "times" of high user density areas, if that makes sense. A "nothing special" tract of wilderness may not have the showy appeal of national park wonders, but the hidden gems are there for those who know how to look at them and appreciate nature. And in such areas oftentimes you might see no other users for your whole trip during peak season (even if other users are out there quietly appreciation nature in their own way). You might have it all to yourself in off season.

x39 likes this.
  11. x39

Blog Posts:
    You might want to check out the new Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument in northern Maine. I think you'll find just what you're looking for.