Helikon-Tex

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by crewhead05, Dec 29, 2017.

1. crewhead05

crewhead05 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Anyone have much experience with the company or the products? They seem to have some pretty decent gear for a good price but I havent seen too many US reviews on them.

Im generally looking for reviews on their clothing but feedback on any of their products would be good. Thank you

https://www.helikon-tex.com/en_eur/

Winterhorse and Broke like this.
  2. Roamer

Roamer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Try a search. I believe @Panzer reviewed their haversack-type bag about a year back.

Winterhorse, Broke and crewhead05 like this.
  3. Huey

Huey The Lurker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have one of their heavy fleece jackets. Absolutely in love with it. Thought out, warm, quality, and price point. I also have their small first aid kit and haversack which is equally awesome.

4. tcb

tcb Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Anyone here try out their version of the SAS smock? Looks well thought out..

5. crewhead05

Blog Posts:
    Yes sir that is a good review he did. He has one of the few youtube reviews of the HT products that are in english :)

6. Mtnfolk Mike

Mtnfolk Mike Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have one of their haversacks... It is very nice and well built.. It was a little bigger than I expected, but still a great piece of kit with some really cool features..

7. Broke

Broke I found my hat! Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have a canteen carrier on its way to me courtesy of @SwampYankee64 I will be sure to do a thorough review and test on it as soon as I am able.

8. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am about five days away from receiving the Gen III Level 7 ECWCS jacket I ordered from Helikon tex. As mentioned above, the jacket looked very well thought out. Fleece lined pockets, inside of hood, and collar. The draw strings to cinch down the hood are located in the pockets so there's no need to remove the hands when tightening the hood. Just looked like a nice light, but warm jacket.

9. crewhead05

Blog Posts:
    Heck yes. That jacket looks nice. Let us know what you think of it.

10. BalsamFur

BalsamFur Not a duck Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Liked mine so much I bought another one.
    Huh. This is weird. I tried to post a link to the review I did, but I can't find it. Did I write a review? Did I forget to? What's my name again?
    Well, the pics are still on my tablet, so I might just write it again for the first time.
    Anyway, it's pretty good stuff. I think Direct Action is another name for the same company. My DA Dragon Egg backpack is another favorite of mine.

11. BalsamFur

Blog Posts:
    To the OP, @crewhead05
    The only clothing I've brought from them is a boonie hat and a T-shirt. The shirt it fine. Nothing special, though I do get a lot of comments about the logo. The hat is exceptionally well made, but unfortunately the largest size they offer is bit too small for my pumpkin head.

12. saryat

saryat Scout

Blog Posts:
    this is a very bad company

Beach Hiker likes this.
  13. XMP

XMP Mountain Man

Blog Posts:
    Why? Can you elaborate?

14. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Perpetual Student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    NO experience with them, but their Swagman Roll multi-use poncho sure looks interesting!

https://www.helikon-tex.com/en_usd/po-smr-nl-swagman-roll-poncho-climashield-apex-67g.html

Thanks @crewhead05 for the "heads up"!

Beach Hiker and crewhead05 like this.
  15. BalsamFur

Blog Posts:
    Why, can you elaborate?

(Sorry for the echo, @XMP );)

16. crewhead05

Blog Posts:
    +1. Interested as well.

Beach Hiker, BalsamFur and XMP like this.
  17. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Saryat, please qualify your statement.

Beach Hiker and BalsamFur like this.
  18. Togus

Togus Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Maybe he meant bad, like short for bad ass. Well, I have the haversack and really like it. I use it for day hikes and as a carry on when I fly. Two inside canteen pockets (40 oz or less Klean canteens), small zippered pocket, and main compartment. Wide detachable shoulder strap. Very well made and well priced.

19. XMP

XMP Mountain Man

Blog Posts:
    He’s from Poland’s and it’s a Polish Company so I thought maybe he was aware of some bad business practices

20. BalsamFur

Blog Posts:
    That's what he seemed to be saying, but then again it might be a language thing. Maybe he meant "not as good as what I use". Perhaps @Beach Hiker could shed some light on this. If I'm not mistaken, he lives in Poland as well.

Beach Hiker, XMP and crewhead05 like this.
  21. saryat

saryat Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have and many helico products
    Unfortunately, the company's products are of poor quality
    The quality of sewing and finishing is bad
    I have fleece jackets and pants and all products are quickly destroyed

Attached Files:

22. BalsamFur

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for responding, @saryat .

23. saryat

saryat Scout

Blog Posts:
    the helicopter problem is that you can buy the same jacket in the same size and can have, for example, shorter sleeves 2-4cm

24. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the clarification!

Fat Old Man, BalsamFur and crewhead05 like this.
  25. crewhead05

Blog Posts:
    BalsamFur likes this.
  26. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I appreciate the comments from Saryat, but of all the reviews of their products that I've watched and/or read, there are very few negative comments. Of the few negative comments I've seen, most concern the sizing being slightly off, but not enough to render the garment uncomfortable or unusable. It also seems as if the few negative reviews are a year or two old, so maybe they have made improvements to their manufacturing process. I'll have to judge by the quality and fit/finish of the jacket I ordered from them, I guess.

Fat Old Man, BalsamFur, Broke and 2 others like this.
  27. BalsamFur

Blog Posts:
    This is good information, @saryat , thank you for enlightening us, and please pardon our impatience. There is very little knowledge of this company here in the States.
    As I said above, I don't have much experience with their clothing. Hopefully quality control is improving. I expect they source different manufacturers for their clothing line and their backpacks and pouches. I've found no problems whatsoever with the assembly or durability of the two Essential Kit Bags or the Dragon Egg backpack I own. The US pricing of this gear would place it on about the same level as Maxpedition, and I would agree that the quality is equal, if not slightly better.

Fat Old Man, crewhead05 and Broke like this.
  28. XMP

XMP Mountain Man

Blog Posts:
    I just got two of the canteen pouches from the bushcraft line. I can't speak to their durability, but the design is well thought out. Best of all they are plenty roomy to get a GI cup or Heavy cover kit inside without the tight squeeze and frustration that comes with most canteen pouches.

29. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Perpetual Student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Would appreciate your review @Nightflyer, if you're willing.

Broke, BalsamFur and Nightflyer like this.
  30. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker Traveller Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My only experience with them is a small bag which is of excellent quality.
    For the record. .. I do live in Poland. I am not Polish.
    Poland is one of the last European countries still "making stuff". In my experience they do it extremely well. We're talking small factory towns still making things.
    I respect their efforts. Personally I would let @Broke do some reviews. He is tried and trusted.

31. saryat

saryat Scout

Blog Posts:
    only I buy 50pcs of one assortment for my employees. And on this basis I evaluate the products

32. saryat

saryat Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is how Poland has several small companies doing very good products of tourist and military sacs

33. Oni

Oni Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have the mess kit

Well made. Equal to the MSR Alpine IMHO.

Steve from Firebox stoves uses it in several of his videos I believe.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Beach Hiker, crewhead05 and Broke like this.
  34. saryat

saryat Scout

Blog Posts:
    yes, the mess tins and steel cups are very good

35. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    All positive reviews so far BUT

Two reviewers say the Level 7 jacket runs very large, and one says it runs small. The size chart for one seller says 44-48" chest for XL. That is under U.S. standard for the military Level 7 overcoat by several inches. So ????

One reviewer says its not for extreme cold, just above 0F, and all the sellers say its for "extreme cold"= "Level 7" after all. The 100 gram insulation compares to 200 gram insulation in some coats sold in the U.S. (Midway USA).

The seller has a U.S. address for returns.

One Polish review says the Level 7 coat is better than the typical sewing quality from Helikon-Tex, but that is a funny sort of boost.

I call it a "coat." It is variously also called a "parka" and a "jacket."

Some of the reviews are of a garment with different features, but basically same functionally.

No one seems to be selling it at a big discount to what the manufacturer charges, but a few are trying for MORE than MSRP, so watch your 6.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Broke likes this.
  36. 00bullitt

00bullitt Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I cannot comment on their clothing, but I do have a few pieces of their gear and am very impressed with the quality; both workmanship and materials used.

I have purchased all of my stuff from Amazon. I have two of the Essential Kit Bags and a Satchel; both from their Bushcraft line and also have the Dust backpack from Direct Action, their sister company.

I spoke to the owner (actually his translator) at a recent military tradeshow. They appear to be a small company, but rather innovative. Much of their stuff was well thought out and had solid purpose behind the features.
    Their manufacture is in Poland and they utilize US made and imported materials.

Broke, BalsamFur and crewhead05 like this.
  37. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    I ordered the L7 coat, only to find after payment that delivery was four weeks.

I will report on arrival.

crewhead05 likes this.
  38. Broke

Broke I found my hat! Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Recieved the water bottle/canteen carrier today, very well made and thought out piece of gear. It will be a very nice upgrade from my Maxpedition hydration pouch. I even like the leather patch on the carrier.
    Will get it dirty as soon as I am able.

39. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Arrived today. Under two weeks. Given season and weather, good service.

Funnily, a Polish product, made in CHINA, and shipped from the UK.

Despite official Helikon-Tex website review claim that "Level 7 Lightweight Winter Jacket" runs large, this sample is noticeably smaller than the other XL outer winter coats I own. I can only put the "silk"layer and the Lever 3 fleece under it, and then its a bit tight. Helikon-Tex specifically claims that the jacket 'conforms' to the ECWCS Level VII. It does not. The ECWCS Level VII covers the silk, the fleece, and a quilted jacket. Unless I had a larger size, I could not get the layers in Gen III/PCU under it - or what I had under the Level VII tonight (3 F not counting wind). So [ed: based on this example] it is not for "Extreme" cold as its official review and sponsored video review claim. It's for cool and just "cold" - but a size larger and you can take it to "extreme cold."

To be clear, ECWCS Level VII and this garment seem about the same thickness standing alone.

Self-inflicted wound since the cost is the same.

Seems well made. Good zippers for truth. Some nice extra features, like adjusting hood from inside hand-warmer pockets. The outer skin may be tougher [than ECWCS Level VII]; we'll have to see. Enough to justify paying twice the market price of a brand new ECWCS Level VII "parka"? "No" at this point. Not something I will be wearing 30 days a year.

And the Level VII is U.S.-made. The one I bought in November got here in two days.

As for the claims by Helikon-Tex that it will keep you warm in "any weather" and their pet reviewer's claim that the shell will resist all "hadgerows" and "brambles" and the jacket will "never" lose loft, that language is just silly puffery. But it is not to their credit that that they float those outlandish notions.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Huey, BalsamFur, crewhead05 and 2 others like this.
  40. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I received my Level 7 jacket from Helikon yesterday. I sized up as I had read that they ran a bit small. I also found it to be well made, with no loose threads and nice neat stitching throughout, even when turned inside out. The features are well thought out, superbly executed and as claimed, the only exception being the hood which is not fully fleece lined, but only a fleece strip at forehead level when worn. Fit for me was perfect. This morning it was -9 here with a fairly steady 10-20 mph wind. I had on a merino wool base layer t shirt with a Woolrich wool shirt over that. I also put on a Triple Aught Design Ranger Hoodie, (an excellent garment in its own right), and over that the Helikon Level 7 jacket. I was outdoors for approximately 25 minutes and never felt the wind or cold. I thought that the small details were very well done, one example being the point in the pocket where the hood pull comes through. There is a webbing strip with a metal eyelet in it, sewn into the top of the interior of the pocket for the hood pull to pass through.
    In summary, and in my instance, the Helikon Level 7 jacket is a well thought out, well made garment that if sized correctly, will do what it says it will do. It is extremely warm for what I need as it rarely gets as cold here as it is currently. Would I wear it in the woods? Probably, but with a winter camo over white covering it as protection against dirt, branches, etc. I am extremely pleased with all aspects of this purchase and would buy other items from this brand without hesitation. I also got it for 15% off the regular price which dropped it down to around $157. In addition, Military 1st was a great company to deal with and I would buy from them again.

Huey, Broke, Roamer and 2 others like this.
  41. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Glad you are happy with the jacket. Size aside, I am satified, although I would have been happier with the discount that you got.
    My letter to the vendor:

MMG Trading Ltd.
    dba Military 1st
    475 Doughty Blvd
    Inwood, NY 11096

re: Your order # 1367039
    Helikon-Tex Level 7 Lightweight Winter Jacket (Stock # KU-L70-NL-11-XL

Attn: Wiola

Upon your prompt delivery of the above-referenced item, for which I thank you, I discovered that it runs small as compared to six other Winter over garments that I own. Specifically, it is small compared to two ECWCS Gen III Level VII parkas that I own. This situation makes it impractical to wear the garment over the layers necessary to remain warm when sedentary in "extreme cold weather" as those words are understood in the United States, specifically for purposes of the Extreme Cold Weather Clothing System, whose Level VII is to keep the wearer warm when inactive in extreme cold weather to -45ºC (-50ºF).

As you know, Helikon-Tex represents on its website that the garment conforms to the ECWCS Level 7 and can be worn over any lower level ECWCS layers.

As a result, I requested of Amazon that the item be exchanged for the same garment in size XXL.

I am in receipt of your email dated 5:58 AM U.S. EST January 6, 2018, authorizing that exchange.

The original garment is enclosed with this letter.

I have retained the original bill of lading.

http://www.mmgtrading.co.uk/
    Established in 2008, the Military 1st is a Manchester based online retailer specialising [UK spelling] in first-rate outdoor and combat clothing and tactical footwear, as well as camping and bushcraft equipment and accessories. We are proud of our constantly growing range of high quality products from the world's best-known brands and in great prices, along with the fastest possible delivery and top level of customer service. Rest assured that all orders are handling with care and attention, carefully packed and dispatched the very same day to ensure the best possible shopping experience. Moreover our experienced team is dedicated to help customers with their orders from the beginning till the very end, and always happy to answer all questions regarding any item and delivery, as the customer satisfaction and finest after sales care is our priority.
    MR MICHAL GRZYBOWSKI Director

42. FJ40Mumbles

FJ40Mumbles Scout

Blog Posts:
    San Bernardino,in the Repulic of Kalifornia
    crewhead05, BalsamFur and Fat Old Man like this.
  43. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Replacement "Level 7" jacket arrived.

Turns out the Helikon XXL fits like XLs I have from Propper, Beyond, Columbia and Walmart ("Free Tech [CHINA]). This will work just fine.:dblthumb:

Broke and crewhead05 like this.
  44. Bushcraft-kelso

Bushcraft-kelso Am are Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I carry the bushcraft satchel as my haversack and all around all bushcraft bag. So far it's been a great bag lots of space good quality. Worth the money imo. 15170581482471067813156.jpg I added a maxpedition shoulder strap pad to spread the weight out some but I like it.
    I also use a small helikon tex pouch for my FAK hold a lot of stuff .
    This being said.. my FAK don't get tore through several times a day like my satchel.. but as for now the small pouch has held up with the appearance to be "busting at the seams" I have taken it all out and reloaded it many times tho just not daily. 15170584800981595353630.jpg as for these two items.. I use the crap outta the satchel and it works great!
    Hope this helps!

crewhead05, BalsamFur and Broke like this.
  45. crewhead05

Blog Posts:
    I bought the alpha grid fleece jacket soon after making the original post.

https://www.helikon-tex.com/en_usd/bl-alt-fg-alpha-tactical-jacket-grid-fleece.html

This has become my favorite insulation layer. Its basically a waffle weight usgi fleece but has a full zipper in the front as well as some extra pockets and a thin poly mesh lining across the inside. This design is far superior to the usgi design in my opinion. As a guy who is very exothermic i appreciate a mid layer that i can zip fully open to vent when needed. The extra pockets are a nice addition as well. I often put my cell phone in it to keep it warm.

Size wise i ordered a XXL but it fits like a XL usgi.

Quality wise its on par with usgi issued ecwcs midweight gear.

Finally, i find myself wearing this as an outer layer quite a bit. The full zip and pockets make it very functional as an outer with the option of just throwing on a shell to complete you system.

Overall two thumbs up on this garment.

Broke likes this.
  46. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    The USGI (ECWCS) fleece has had a full-length zipper in all generations - almost twenty years. It has four pockets.

For sure it has no liner. Reduces friction?

The ECWCS second insulation layer - Level 2 - is a pullover. Thin fleece.

crewhead05 and Broke like this.
  47. crewhead05

Blog Posts:
    Yep. Thats the one its closest to. The waffle weight not the full fleece

For comparison

ADFC8AA3-EB20-495C-8411-4DAA4DEBB583.jpeg

48. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    ECWCS removed the partial zipper from Level 2 Block 1 at the request of the customers. Block 2 has no zipper.

crewhead05 likes this.
  49. crewhead05

Blog Posts:
    Material style and weight is comparable to the level 2, not the design. I always wished the ecwcs level 2 had a full zip when i was in.

50. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    They expect the user to mix and match to find what works for him/her.

crewhead05 likes this.