Hello, needing advice on a target.

Discussion in 'Archery' started by 432hz, Nov 9, 2017.

1. 432hz

432hz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have been looking for a nice standing target. I have a recurve, I was so disappointed when I couldn't find one in stores. Sad say lol Any suggestions on a quality brand? Thank you :)

2. Mikewood

Mikewood Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like the bag targets. Yellow jacket makes the stinger and there are many others depending on what color and size you need. You can get them at many dedicated archery stores and places like Amazon. I have shot at foam block targets but the arrows don’t pull out as easily.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  3. JEB

JEB Guide

Blog Posts:
    432hz: You get what you pay for. If you can, get a good target like a Rhinehart and don;t leave it outside when you are not using it. The sun and birds are your enemy.

Hey Mikewood, clean your language up, LOL

4. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17-MYOG #71- Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I second the bag target, I've found them to be FAR superior to my initial box 'o styro and cardboard. I don't have a favorite brand but there are plenty to choose from in multiple price ranges.

@JEB, let him be man. While questionable his method of shooting just sounds impressive.. :D

Primordial and central joe like this.
  5. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've got a YellowJacket I'm very happy with. A friend of mine hates his.

As mentioned, the sun is your target's enemy. UV will destroy the bag... keep it in the shade.

6. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like Mikewod better clean up his Target also.... LOL

7. 432hz

432hz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey thanks! And wow the targets don't pull out easy? Even if I have practice quivers? Not any attachments?

CivilizationDropout likes this.
  8. JasonJ

JasonJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    Do you mean field points instead of broad-heads? Quiver is the pouch/sleeve that you store your arrows in. And yes, even with field points. I find on my foam block targets, while cheap, the foam grips tightly around the arrow shaft- also feels like there is some suction holding it in while removing it as well.

9. Hillbilly stalker

Hillbilly stalker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Don't know if your into DIY or not. What has worked for me for years and years is to build a box , you decide the dementions, and fill it with old clothing, quilts or comforters . I made mine 26 inches deep and it will stop all arrows, compound, recurve and crossbow bolts. Arrow removal takes two fingers. I have a removable top on mine. There are 2 downsides to this target. When shooting broadheads you have to reach into the rags and unscrew your broadheads each time and it is not portable. I use a piece of scrap carpet turned backwards as a face of the target and it keeps the rags in the target. You can build one for < $20 and takes maybe 30 minutes. You will not shoot it out like store bought targets. Mine is gong on 10 years old.

10. Primordial

Primordial Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For field point use only you cant beat a bag target. With recurve shooting they last for YEARS. I buy them on sale at the end of season. If you spend more you can get a box style one that has 2 layered foam sides so you can shoot broad heads into them.

11. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    TSC used to give away the foam shipping blocks they use for separating trailers when they can a shipment in. They stop arrows without issue for me. A simple printed piece of paper can be your target.

12. Idabow

Idabow Scout

Blog Posts:
    Carpet bales are the way to go. Layered carpet compressed between say 2x12 top and bottom. 1/2” all thread to screw it down on four corners.

I have a 25”x25”x25” tuning target in my garage. Weighs over a hundred pounds. Will stop my crossbow point blank with 110 ft lbs of energy. Most recurves are lucky to make 45.

Made a bh target the same way but out of 2” thick foam board house insulation. The only target I’ll buy is a 3D target.

bumma likes this.
  13. bumma

bumma LEAP...the net will appear Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had some brown burlap bags that I filled with rags and old clothing (remove buttons, snaps and zippers). Hung it up on an extra large homemade sawhorse. No target or bullseye. Just pick a spot and try to hit it. When the burlap starts getting messed up just stuff the whole thing into another burlap bag.

14. sidmand

sidmand Bacon is food duct tape

Blog Posts:
    Paper bag and some expanding foam insulation - spray about half the can into the bag, let it expand and dry, then spray the rest. MAKE SURE IT"S DRY BEFORE SHOOTING!!! It's a giant PITA to get spray foam insulation off your arrows. That's what some other fella told me after he did it anyways <cough cough>

Blackhawk45hunter likes this.
  15. TentMonkey

TentMonkey Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a Hurricane bag target. It works well, stops arrows from my 73 pound compound without any trouble........

I had to tear it apart once to retrieve a field point and insert from my carbon arrows. Didn't want to leave it in there to beat up my other field points. The outside is what seems like a nylon/plastic burlap type material. The inside, by the smell of things, is stuffed with recycled insoles from shoes from prison inmates and construction workers. It had this just ungodly smell to it when I opened it up.

16. Blackhawk45hunter

Blackhawk45hunter Pronounced sim-bee-duh Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Heck of an awesome idea!