Help build me a Wallet PSK

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Dirty-D, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Dirty-D

Dirty-D Bush-Whacker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Here the 2 things I'm starting with:
    A maxpedition wallet (got free somewhere) and an Izula with 6feet if paracord wrapped on the handle/dangler.

To make life easier assume that your in The Texas hill country between March and December. Cold isn't a concern, (this year is an exception, but with a kit this small you are playing the law of averages and not worrying about the outliers) heat/ water is an issue.

What else would you put in here? The only rule is that it still has to Velcro closed.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393896672.225517.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393896681.918413.jpg

Looking forward to the conversation.

Crusher0032, LongChinJon and ArmyMacE like this.
  2. salty dog

salty dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for starting this one. I like the idea of a small belt pouch, but in my heart I know that if it doesn't fit in a pocket, I will not vary it every day, unless it is a planned trip.

A ferro rod, some tinder, cordage, tape, safety pins will fit easily. Maybe some plastic bags and aluminum foil for containers?

3. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm only familiar with east TX. It might be a good idea to fold up some heavy duty foil and shove it in a pocket. Might stick a small resealable bag with water purification tabs as well, those TX summers can drain the body. A small fero rod would be good, or just stick a full sized version in your front pocket. I'm going to presume that you are carring a metal water bottle with you as well.
    Could you add a mylar blanket?

4. field-expedient

field-expedient Misfit Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    a small flash light would be one of my top items and a good sure fire piece of tinder and a way to light it.

if you could get something in it for water collecting and purifying it would be nice. maybe a thick plastic bag you could fold up and some purification tabs.

LongChinJon likes this.
  5. Medius

Medius Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like the idea of a wallet PSK, I've got one of those wallets lying around with no use, might have to copy you! Mylar blanket would be invaluable if you could fit one in, and a firesteel is a definite must. For my PSK I put a couple PJ cottonballs in a mini-ziploc for tinder. A button compass, a hotel key card wrapped with duct tape is something I like to have on my person for EDC, couldn't hurt here, duct tape has a million uses after all. Mini whistle if you can fit one.

Zunga likes this.
  6. Ryannw

Ryannw Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Very neat idea. A question or two... do you live in the country? Is this something you plan to carry every day?

I ask because I think of my situation living in town there is no real need for me to carry this daily unless I am going out of town. Finding jeans that fit well and carrying a wallet, sak, keys phone, ccw already has a person looking to keep things slim in many casses. A guy could easily keep a bug out type pack in his trunk. Now dont get me wrong, it is a great idea I will emulate, just have to figure out how and when to carry it. Sure wish cargo pants were all the rage like they were 15 years ago.

If going out of town or anytime realy, it would be a good idea incase a guy got seperated from a bug out bag in his vehicle.

My thoughts would be 5+ water purification tabs. Either a mini bic or a tiny fire steel or possible borh. Button compass. Tiny flash light(aaa or smaller). Very small amount of duct tape. Posibly 2+ fish hooks with as mich line that seems useable and compact. Mylar blanket though it may not fit. 20 dollar bill and a few quarters. Maybe 1 packet neosporin. Mini fox 40 whislte. Sturdy plasic bags for water, 2 if possible.

Sure is hard to come up with more ideas with all the great suggestions so far. Thanks for such a good idea.

7. Dirty-D

Blog Posts:
    go for it, I think Maxpedition or LAPoliceGear or somebody gives them away with a certain cost of purchase. I figured there were lots of folks with one sitting around somewhere.

8. Dirty-D

Blog Posts:

Honestly, I haven't through that far ahead, Just 2 pieces of gear that had been sitting on the bench and thought I'd start a thread and see what the different thoughts were on it.

I work in a downtown area with 20 miles of highway between there and my house which is in the suburbs. I carry a get home bag/ work bag which can be found here: http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/113261-MY-evolving-EDC-(Max-Lunada-gt-5-11-Rush12)?highlight=rush

but I was thinking something smaller/ lighter I could keep in a glovebox of my work vehicle, and not have to sweat the 3" blade rule that we have here... In my work vehicle I'm probably 1/2 in the city, 1/2 in the sticks.

ArmyMacE likes this.
  9. Operater6

Operater6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    +1 on the water purification tabs. Need some sort of container tho so I carry a non -lubricated prophylactic and change it out every couple of months jic it somehow deteriorates from body heat or friction in my wallet. Firesteel is another item I am never without on my keychain. VCB and Magnesium shavings in soda straws are very compact and take up little room. Someone mentioned a mylar sheet and a large HD trash bag would be similar in size depending on the season to use for cover. I assume you have some sort of pocket knife as well.

Consider your 5 survival priorities in assembling any kind of EDC or PSK. Rule of threes will also tell you what you need most. Your skill level will also help determine item selection.

ArmyMacE likes this.
  10. GrimRivet

GrimRivet Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You know it is interesting to see this today since I carry a wallet in my hip pocket but never have carried anything in the other and this size would even my butt dent out lol. One thing I would consider is if you are planning to carry it in a back jeans pocket that what ever you put in it will have withstand being sat upon on on a variety of surfaces. Things like a thinner fire rod may snap when sat on. I would +1 on Pur tabs in blister packs so even if they get crushed you'll know how much to use as they are packed individually, I have a Fenix e05 AAA that would fit there easily and i have been the daylights out of and still going strong. add a mini Bic and then a couple other small items for the A.O. you will be in predominately and you should be good. Again your working with the law of averages.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  11. Solphilos

Solphilos Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've lived in Texas and always carried some form of powdered electrolytes in my wallet. If you can procure drinkable water, it may be helpful to replinish some if those lost salts.

12. partisan scout

partisan scout Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'd throw in an ESEE arrowhead(I love mine, and incredibly useful), water pure tabs, a space blanket(the tiny ones you can get in the camping section) and a small firesteel. It looks like you already have cordage, but if not, throw in some bank line as a lanyard.

13. Boot

Boot Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm also working on a small kit that's just the bare minimum. Building from a maxpedition barnacle. I found that 3 pj cotton balls will fit nicely into an empty chapstick tube, and not leak any mess on your other gear. If you need one, just dial the tube up like you would with chapstick in it, and the cotton wads just slide right out. I have a bag from survival resources for water, it is 1L, but rolls up flat, made from heavy plastic, and fits well in the tiny kit. Couple of tabs for purification, and you are at least not naked in the water dept. Mini bic and 9v pak-lite going in mine as well. If you have a food vacuum sealer, you can really shrink an emergency blanket down thin. Just a few thoughts. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

14. MedfordChris

MedfordChris Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Not to hijack or anything, but that's a wicked cool idea!

15. GrimRivet

GrimRivet Tracker

Blog Posts:
    And also if your lips are chapped a little PJ can certainly help. so multifunction right there gotta love it!

16. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Since I'm just trying to think of things that haven't been mentioned (and it's hard), how about one of the minature ferro & magnesium rods? That would help protect the ferro rod from breaking and give you an additional tinder source.
    Dual-sided diamond sharpener. (Buck makes one that is coarse and medium or fine, about 4"x1". Credit card-sized sharpeners are out there, too.)
    Two or three packets of Wound Seal (to seal wounds after cleaning and to stop annoying bleeding).
    Floss, Spectra, or Kevlar string.
    SMALL fish hooks and maybe a lure or jig with a few inches of string tied on already (since your kevlar line may not fit through the eyelit of a small hook).
    Razor blade for fine cutting.
    Micro-tool with pliers.

17. hunter63

hunter63 In Memorium

Blog Posts:
    Besides ID, cash, credit card,......Medical card.
    Prepaid phone card wrapped with fish line, needle/thread, a couple of hooks,......
    Flat parabolic magnifier
    Safety pins (thanks Mom)
    Un-lubed condom
    Safety razor blade wrapped with duct tap
    Book of matches wrapped in alum foil...
    Band-Aids, alcohol wipes/in foil pack, antibiotic/ in foil pack

18. Hunt/Fish

Hunt/Fish Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Could you take a plastic baseball card holder and flatten/squeeze a pj cotton ball into it?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  19. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Magnetized needles

potassium permanganate and sugar...wait...maybe a bad idea...

20. Roamer

Roamer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would not plan to keep the knife in the wallet as it seems to take up a lot of room. Good idea though, kinda like a 'woods wallet' you would add to a back pocket to join your regular wallet in the other. :5:

For the woods wallet:
    Fresnel lens
    Dental floss
    Water purification tabs + essential meds (aspirin or whatever you require)
    Slow cooker pot liner (hang over a fire to boil water)
    Spare house/car key
    $20 bill
    Mini bic
    PJ cotton balls
    Scalpel blade or other small sharp thing (backup only)
    Small roll of construction flagging tape (rescue item)
    Emergency whistle
    Sewing needle
    Safety pins

21. HEMLOCK79

HEMLOCK79 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Not really anything to add that hasn't already been said. I like the idea though.

In my personal wallet I always have a mini ferro/mag, a few band aids, and a razor blade. In the past I've put little flash lights, those "survival cards" and car keys in there too. It becomes redundant though. TBH the one item that I have found to be invaluable is the bandaids! It's amazing how often they come in handy. Be forewarned though, if you get labeled as the guy that always has bandaids, it's like the "knife guy." People will always be looking to you for them, rather than picking up the tip for themselves. LOL

22. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Scout

Blog Posts:
    A piece of a pocket comb in your kit is good for removing jointed cacti and burrs that stick to your skin or clothing--slide the teeth of the comb between the cactus and your skin and pull it off without getting spines in your fingers.

23. R Stowe

R Stowe Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How's your kit coming along?

I'm really liking this idea. On a recent trip I was using my Tin style PSK and practicing some fishing and I was frustrated with the lack of organization. As soon as I removed one item from it's position everything sort of collapsed.

I wish ESEE sold just the wallet, as I have many of the same items that's included in their kit, but the wallet seems to be one of the best layouts I've found so far.

24. lsdage

lsdage Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Personally I would go with:
    Victorinox Classic (mini knife) or Swisscard
    some band-aids
    pills like Ibuprofen and water purification
    alcohol soaked pads as a disinfectant and tinder
    small ferro rod
    plastic bag
    some surgical tubing to stop bleeding, emergency cordage and as a drinking straw to be used with the aforementioned bag
    a piece of rope (like bankline)
    space blanket
    safety pin
    P-38 can opener

and some money & IDs

... Heck, I might even make my own PSK wallet

On the side note, I do not live in such an area so I do not consider it essential, but maybe also line and few hooks for fishing.

25. WolfRidgeArmory

WolfRidgeArmory Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I found that 3 pj cotton balls will fit nicely into an empty chapstick tube, and not leak any mess on your other gear. If you need one, just dial the tube up like you would with chapstick in it, and the cotton wads just slide right out.

That's a great idea!

26. Airth

Airth Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here you go...this is a link to a PSK I built into a Maxped RAT wallet: Here

27. salty dog

Blog Posts:
    Resurrecting an old thread because I am trying something similar. I've tried carrying small kits everyday but eventually it gets left at home. On a day to day basis I figure the one thing I always carry, besides a knife, is my wallet. So I put together a small pouch to hold a few essentials when I'm not carrying any other outdoors stuff. Here are the ingredients.

contents.jpg

Hopefully the Band-Aid, cordage, matches and striker (from a book of matches) and straws are obvious. On that ball of cotton is a tiny ferro rod. On the bag are Ibuprofen. The long ones fit in the straw, round ones don't. The ointment is just some generic Neosporin. The other thing is a single edge razor blade.

I did the sealed straw trick for the matches, ointment, cotton, and the ibo. As you can see three matches just fit in a large straw, but you have to stagger the heads.

seal.jpg

My goal is to have a small bag that will ride in my wallet and be forgotten. If I really need to start a fire, cut something small, tie up something, or treat a headache I'm good to go. Not a very extensive kit but I wanted something that wouldn't get left behind. (except for the flight I'll be on next week)

bag.jpg

I stuck it in my wallet and will try and follow up in a half a year or longer to see how the items fared. I'm already disappointed in how thick it is. It's only about credit card size but a 1/4 inch thick. Hopefully it will stay dry enough and not have the contents squished. We'll see.

28. ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well, I did it. I replied to a Lazarus thread.

If you've got the wallet PSK you're probably wearing pants. What's normally in your pockets? Your EDC should play a part here unless you don't have an EDC. But then how did you find your way here, lol?

If you've got any combination of a SAK, MT, folder, flashlight, Bic, Zippo, pistol, money, first aid stuff, etc you're already off to a start. (My bi-fold wallet has hideaway cash, Fresnel lens, razor blade, TIHK, 2 BandAids, and Bogota minis on top of my DL, CHL, insurance card, debit and credit cards.) I do not keep receipts, business cards, and junk in my wallet so it's not what I deem thick, also carry a white handkerchief in the other back pocket.)

Knife out of the wallet. In the end it'll consume real estate and you could just fashion some way to attach the scabbard to the wallet. (For my Izula with micarta scales, I bought a kydex scabbard from Armatus.)

Folded oven bag or a Whirl Pack bag or something for water storage which you can purify with UV and/or you can stash some purification tans in your wallet. They're really not bulky. If natural tinder is unavailable, carry some Tinder Quick tabs. One tab is good for about two fires if you cut them in half and fluff them out. Lifeboat matches and a striker are possible as is any number of various sized ferro rods. Flat folded tape that can be torn into narrow strips, micro cords, Kevlar cord, and others are all options. You can definitely put on of Canterbury's coveted sail needles in there. Add a button compass, signal mirror, and if it'll wrap around a very flat space blanket for shade then you might just be done. Of course, there are aal the tin cards with punch out crap you can use. Some medicine like loperamide, cetirizine, and naproxen may be helpful. If you've got a spare credit card or cash throw that in there to supplement your real wallet if there's space left.

Your scenario eludes to being outdoors. Are you lost, escaping custosy, has society broken down, or are you looking for someone/something else that's lost? Does it really matter?

My major survival strategy is to be mobile, aware, and ready to pick whatever is available for taking in an urban setting. For the wilderness, it's to get out of the wilderness. Pollen allergies aren't going to let me live outside indefinitely although thankfully I've never had asthma.

Zaveral and ArmyMacE like this.
  29. salty dog

Blog Posts:
    I guess I wasn't clear on that. If I'm planning on being outside I carry a typical amount of gear that would make this redundant. But on a typical day I will only have a knife, keys, wallet, etc. So this is for those times when the unexpected happens. I'm not near my vehicle (which has other gear) and want to start a fire or need some minor first aid. Mostly I just wanted to see how the items would hold up over time when jammed in a wallet.

30. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    Pack a fresnal lense, amazon sells them very inexpensively and they are credit card sized, great for fire starting, i also carry trick birthday candles for stubborn fires, if the wind blows the candle out they will relight themselves without wasting another match or lighter fuel. If you can fold a oven bag tidy enough for your liking i would carry that too. You can expose them to very high temps.

31. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Pretty cool like to see what you come up with. Prov 27 : 17

32. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    Tape a piece of thin cardboard or plastic bag on back of unused credit card or similar to make a pouch. Slide in a scalpel blade and/or sail needle, small fero rod. Your Para cord can be broken down if need be for suture thread.

Last edited: May 13, 2018