Help Building a Bridge

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by Greebe, Aug 19, 2017.

1. IzaWildman

IzaWildman Old Dog Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You just haven't figured out how yet

Greebe likes this.
  2. Greebe

Greebe Non ducor, duco.

Blog Posts:
    Good point!

3. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    How about a floating bridge based on floating dock principles. make it in sections. Have incline ramps attached to banks that lead down to floaters. Use steel or plastic drums. Be creative :)

Greebe likes this.
  4. Greebe

Greebe Non ducor, duco.

Blog Posts:
    TX-1948 and KenM like this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'd parallel several 3' culverts in the bed and use the down stream sides of the river bed to cover it all and larger boulders for riprap on the input side .

Greebe likes this.
  6. Greebe

Greebe Non ducor, duco.

Blog Posts:
    We had tried finding a large culvert, but have not had any luck. Also though about doing several small culverts like what you are talking about, but got bad feedback from my neighbor who tried that. He is up stream and has replace the one that had multiple smaller culverts with an 8 or 10ft half round culvert. It has been washed out at least twice in the past two years. This is part of the reason we are thinking a bridge slightly elevated. Good fun eh?

7. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Cut and haul your fire wood when creek is frozen. Cut ramps into banks both sides for easy access with frontend loader.

Minnesota winters can be brutal ,-)

8. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bah! How do you just watch a thread from mobile app without commenting?

9. Mangrove

Mangrove Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Greebe likes this.
  10. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Wish I was closer. I would help a few weekends for the experience. And pizza!

Greebe likes this.
  11. Greebe

Greebe Non ducor, duco.

Blog Posts:
    @Mangrove Here is a picture I found of a Finnish bridge similar to the ones on the page you linked.

[​IMG]

12. Mangrove

Mangrove Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The photograph seems to depict a simplified version of this Metsähallitus' bridge design. It is suitable for streams and rivers up to 6 metres (c. 20 ft) in width. It's probably rated for not more than loads up to 800 to 1000 kg (c. 1700 to 2200 lb). The parts are protected from the elements with a mixture of pine tar and pine turpentine.

WY_Not and Greebe like this.
  13. Greebe

Greebe Non ducor, duco.

Blog Posts:
    Well I just got home with three of the thicker diameter 40ft telephone poles. I had hoped to get more, but most were in rough condition. The three I snagged were like new, and got them at the junk pole price because the guy felt bad that I drove out there to get them and they didn't have what they said they did. I wanted to pick up six, but I think three will be sufficient for our bridge. I was able to rent one of those 8 wheeled 30ft gooseneck trailers to haul them and it worked just fine. Now I need to decide how I want to get them across the creek.

I also got my truck stuck in the field when turning it around. Had to hook up another one of the farm trucks and pull it back to the road. Almost didn't happen which would have meant getting my neighbor to pull it out with his dozer. :(

Never a dull moment on the homestead. :D

14. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a similar problem on my property. The biggest issue for me is keeping the bridge from washing away. Water gets extremely fast after big rains. Black clay soils seem to absorb 100% of rainfall until they are saturated at which point they absorb 0%. What looks good works for 10, 20 or 30 years, then wham!

I've wondered more about designing a low water crossing, I guess it'd have to be concrete--anything gravel would wash away. Don't know if that fits your situation at all, but…

Greebe likes this.
  15. drobs

drobs Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm looking at buying a shipping container to act as a storage unit on my land. I need a few land improvements before I can do so - level / cleared area + a drive way entrance at the back of the property.

Anyways I did some research on securing the container to the ground and it seems this is the best most affordable way to do so:

https://americanearthanchors.com/which-anchor-should-i-use/storage-containers/

I imagine it would work just fine for your bridge. I would go with cable - bullet or arrow head anchors.

16. Greebe

Greebe Non ducor, duco.

Blog Posts:
    Wash out is a problem here as well. My neighbors have said when they built bridges this way and had them wash away in the spring melt. This could certainly be a problem, but I had planned on securing one side to a large Ash tree with high tensile cable and the other with a few of the earth anchors like I posted on the first page here--> Post 10

The people I have talked with that had problems did not secure their bridges. I figure for a few hundred dollars it is worth trying. Seems like if it secured it would be fine even if it went under water for a few days. I have several trees that are down across the creek that end up under water a good part of the year, and they have yet to wash away and they are at the bottom of the creek.

We will see. I am waiting on a new Rope Puller to pull the telephone poles across the creek. Hopefully we do not get too much snowfall by then. Still need to get chains on the tractor and we have had about a foot of snow in the past several weeks.

17. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    mobile home anchors at Lowes/Home Despot are pretty inexpensive and work well -- 48" wide point auger head drills in and stays put, plus you can come back to crank it in a few more turns if it starts to loosen over time.

Greebe and drobs like this.