Help ID'ing some shrooms?

Discussion in 'Flora & Fauna' started by Ryan Alexander, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Ryan Alexander

Ryan Alexander Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I took a walk today and came across a very unusual mushroom.. Something i haven't seen before. I'm wondering if i can eat it or not :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Baby one
    [​IMG]
    No idea what it could be.. I've tried researching it but i can't find anything to match. Any ideas?

This one looks like it could be an amanita but not sure..
    [​IMG]

And lastly i thought this might be a cantrell past it's prime.
    [​IMG]

scottmm2012, NWPrimate and Paulyseggs like this.
  2. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In for updates .

My guess on ediblity .Strictly a guess!!
    Yes.
    No
    No

Ryan Alexander likes this.
  3. Big ian

Big ian Tracker

Blog Posts:
    First one is some kind of Bolete, sometimes called a Cep. Related to Porcinis. Some are edible, some less so. Sponge underneath instead of gills is a tell.

Tough to tell on the second one, but might be a Fly Agaric, with a paler top (normally red). Spots on top, right? Not edible, might be psychoactive/poisonous. Def related to dangerous non-edibles.

Last one is too rotted to tell, but it doesn't look like a Chanterelle to me, although context is important.

Disclaimer: don't eat based on my input, just to get you looking in the right direction. Try "Mushrooms Demystified" by Davis Arora, it's a tome but probably the mot comprehensive guide.

4. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mushroom ID in the wild is difficult imho. If I want some I'll buy from a grocery, or vegetable stand.
    Dominick........

Ryan Alexander likes this.
  5. Ryan Alexander

Ryan Alexander Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I know eating mushrooms is dangerous, but i also know there are some species out there with no look alikes that are safe to eat. (Yellow tipped coral fungus) Being able to separate the two could be a useful skill in the future.

Thanks! now to figure out exactly what kind it is...

https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/field-guide/pallid-bolete
    http://www.mushroom.world/show?n=Tylopilus-felleus

This one seems to match perfectly but i don't know.. I did find it under a patch of hemlock pine trees. I'll have to cut it open and check the spore color/count.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boletus_edulis
    B. edulis is considered one of the safest wild mushrooms to pick for the table, as no poisonous species closely resemble it.[18] The most similar poisonous mushroom may be the devil's bolete (Rubroboletus satanas), which has a similar shape, but has a red stem and stains blue on bruising.

So i found this, it's for the UK though
    http://www.wildfooduk.com/articles/boletus/
    1. Make sure you have a Bolete, an upright mushroom with a stem and with sponge like pores instead of gills under the cap.

2. If there is any red colouring on the mushroom, that includes the stem, pores or cap, avoid as this can be the sign of a toxic Bolete.

3. Slice the mushroom in half vertically, if the flesh turns vivid blue quickly after or immediately on cutting, again avoid due to possible toxicity. The pores on a few edible Boletes can discolour to green or blue but it is the flesh changing colour rapidly that is a sign to avoid the mushroom.

Ok, so i guessed the second shroom was poisonous, maybe a death cap but it didn't have the greenish tint. I'll have to do my research on that too..

6. Big ian

Big ian Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like you've got it well in hand. See if you've got any experienced mushroom foragers or a club in your area. That's the best way to learn.