Help me thin down by get home bag please.

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by kid_couteau, Apr 26, 2018.

1. kid_couteau

kid_couteau Warrior Poet at Heart

Blog Posts:
    Hi All

Up to now my get home bag has been built in a Maxpedition Vulture 2
    I would like to get it down to a Pygmy Falcon.
    I have both of these packs so that is why the choices.

I drive a Honda CRV so I have room in the back. Problem is I also belong to the local ARES radio team.

So along with my get home bag I have ARES stuff and general car supplies. I also have a bedroll, axe, extra coat, change of clothing and probably a purple wombat in their as well.

All neatly stored in 4 of these totes.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Centrex-Pl...lon-Black-Tote-with-Standard-Snap-Lid/3551290

I only work 12 miles from home so I would like to thin my kit down some. But there is a catch. I live in Northern Maine and it gets COLD up here in the Winter.

I guess what I am saying is what would be the smallest amount of kit I can get away with?

Anyways please help me with ideas.
    Kid Couteau

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  2. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I use haversacks, One for general needs, and a second one that I could grab if it was winter time. No need to have long johns, etc, in your pack during summer. shelter, is little more then a USGI poncho, and a space emergency blanket, Downsizing is a continual work in process for me. For a get home bag one is not looking for comfort, but for only necessary gear. JMHO

3. Glock Holiday

Glock Holiday Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think my math is right. Walking at 20 minutes a mile, which I believe is slow, for 12 miles is 4 hours. Other than proper clothing, water and a firearm, what else do you really need to get home?
    I read a get home bag is more of a gimmick, I think from here. Reason why is the trip home is generally close and you dont need much for the walk.
    That said, more needs to go into walking regularly vs any kit. I too need to walk more

4. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Plan a day where you can walk from work to home. A nice day is fine, don't pick bad weather on purpose. Carry a day pack with only a small kit and have a way to call for help if you need it, or even a ride if need be. 12 miles isn't really that far, so you should be able to cover it in a day. If not you will know pretty quickly. After you do this on foot one time you will have a pretty good idea of what is real, and what is not. The next time that you do it, you will be better prepared. Now fo this every season and you will know pretty well what you REALLY need for your trip.

5. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    one of those norwegian (?) bag/poncho things, and a fistful of votive candles for warmth when you rest. two liters of water. go ...

6. kid_couteau

Blog Posts:
    Hi All
    Unfortunately the gun is a no go. I work on a Gov facility :17:
    But yes I am thinking decent clothing, water and snacks should do it.
    I can always leave a supplemental kit in the car.

7. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    Do you intend to outdoor overnight out of the bag, or just walk straight home no matter what time/conditions?

Guttersnipe and blind & lost like this.
  8. kid_couteau

Blog Posts:
    I would try to get home if possible but an overnighter may be a possibility.

Guttersnipe and blind & lost like this.
  9. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    An 18L bag is awful tight for winter overnighter in your neck of the woods, but with I think do-able with a good budget as UL/C (ultra light/compact) gets pricey. Think you can cover shelter, bedding, stove, rain gear, evening insulation, and heat for half that bag space (or ~9L).... assuming you are properly dressed for daytime temps. Certainly on a survival basis, if not the most comfortable :54:.

Budget?

Guttersnipe likes this.
  10. kid_couteau

Blog Posts:
    I think with all the cover around I can set up a tarp and fire pretty easily.
    So may be able to cut back a bit. But not scared to spend for good gear

Guttersnipe likes this.
  11. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I live in the NE as well. I change my bag with the season .

Late spring thru fall .I go light . 2qt canteen .Mil poncho and liner .Hammock with bug screen. And a small pack .
    Late fall thru spring . Larger pack with winter gear .Snow shoes .Blankets etc .

My essentials are not your essentials.
    I NEED. Eye glasses, contact lens and diabetes meds .You may not . But basics are basics. I go nowhere without underwear and socks . Knife. Shelter .Water purification and fire.

Got stuck at work for 2 days a few years back . Halloween blizzard . Spent a week at the Children's hospital when my oldest had emergency surgery after a bad arm break . Lived out of my bag with no issues .
    Frankly the blizzard was fun .The hospital i coukd have done without.

rsnurkle and Guttersnipe like this.
  12. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I posted a long reply but it has been lost
    Does that happen often?

13. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This is basically my advice also 5Ps and the second 3 Ps

atlastrekker and Guttersnipe like this.
  14. jswi2374

jswi2374 Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    A gun might very well get you in to more trouble than it gets you out of. I know tow companies around here will tow your car but won't give you a ride with your car if you are armed. Guns are also loud and attract attention. Fire one shot and everyone within 1/2 mile will know it.
    For getting home, really good shoes or boots would be the most important piece of gear. A cheap wool blanket can be used as a shelter when resting and tied on as a coat while moving. A bottle or two of Gatorade might be better than just water but carry a small bottle of water also, for first aid and cleaning purposes.
    Get in shape and stay in shape, a 4 hour walk might be demanding in an emergency.

15. kid_couteau

Blog Posts:
    4 hour walk hmmmmmmmmm
    I better load some podcasts on my phone so I dont get bored LOL
    Only one ear though, need the other open to the world so I know what is going on.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  16. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I think the average pace over flat land for most people is 2.5 miles per hour, mine is pretty close to that. The last 12 mile hike I did had a couple pretty decent grades and it took me closer to six hours of actual walking time, with a few breaks to see things and eat it was closer to 8 hours.

This brings me back to my point, you never really know until you actually do the route for sure.

rsnurkle and Guttersnipe like this.
  17. kid_couteau

Blog Posts:
    One advantage I have is I have a friend that lives about 4 miles away. If it is not a type of situation that I have to get home I just need to be safe I can go there.
    Plus he used to be a Marine so he can lend me a gun to get home with if I need it :)

Guttersnipe and atlastrekker like this.
  18. Urban Whittling

Urban Whittling Scout

Blog Posts:
    Google maps calculated it would take me 4.5 hours to walk the 14 miles from work to home. Since I often work in slacks and dress shoes, this means I pack comfortable walking shoes, shorts or long pants depending on season, and two 1.5l water bottles. Throw in a disposable respirator, a Mylar blanket, a glow stick, and a Mora Companion and I am set. Since I am changing at work before I leave, everything else will fit in a haversack. I might add a large umbrella just in case it's raining.

19. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    thats the kicker. And someone is probably scoffing or pointing and laughing at having a ghb for a 10-12mile walk .But we do not know all the variables .
    Alone .I'd walk that 3 or 4hours .All day everyday with time to smell the roses . Put my wife with me that has MS and I could take 10hours! Maybe even more .

20. crewhead05

crewhead05 caffeine, nicotine, knives and nature. Lifetime Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If I am stating something you already know then I apologize. The logistics of walking that distance in winter can be quite complex. You will be dealing with the changes in body temperature and the possible changes in weather as you move along. You MUST avoid overheating and sweating, and you MUST have the appropriate additional layers to keep warm after you stop moving. Its a very real possibility that due to weather, visibility, stress, exhaustion etc that you may have to hunker down for a few hours somewhere during that time. For that you would have to consider what additional items would be needed to survive the night in a blizzard condition. Additionally consider what it would take to rewarm you if you get that deep down chill. A way to have warm fluids and a fire would be necessary.

On the other hand you could consider planning on just staying in your vehicle and having the supplies readily available to stay relatively comfortable while you wait for help.

I guess depending on the scenario you are considering staying with the car may not be an option.

So bottom line is lots of layers (base, insulation, and shell) replacement base layers if the get wet, appropriate boots and sock, additional socks and gloves if the originals get wet, easy calories, a way to make warm liquid or food, appropriate fire making tools and materials, appropriate amount of water to drink, and a shelter option to get you out of the elements.

What I tell people who ask about what to keep in their car if they slide off the road and have to wait for help, the minimum I recommend is, sleeping bags for all people in the car, food, a few candles, a pot to melt some snow, and finally some sort of bright marking to put over the radio antenna. This is for the purpose of remaining visible if your car gets covered with snow. I put my winter kit in a bright orange drybag. That dry bag doubles as the visual signal to passing vehicles that my vehicle is there and that I may need help.

Hope this helps

rsnurkle, Paulyseggs and Guttersnipe like this.
  21. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Maine guy here also, my winter GHK is just an old snowmobile suit with chopper mitts ,navy watch cap and a few Bics in the pockets along with a pair of pack boots in case I don't have proper winter foot gear on in the first place. Only had to use it once about 40 years ago when I rolled my Scout 11 over in an iced over stream bed to hike out about 3 miles to a farmer that had a tractor who took me back and righted the Scout so I could drive back to the house. As you know water is no problem in Maine any season but a warming fire if needed will save the day.

rsnurkle, crewhead05 and Guttersnipe like this.
  22. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Guttersnipe and rsnurkle like this.
  23. kid_couteau

Blog Posts:
    Thank you All
    Looks like I am pretty near where I need to be.
    Just got to organize stuff a bit better.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  24. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    If you have not yet walked your planned route, then "experience walking the planned 12 mile route for practice" is one of the most important pieces of "gear" you can take.

25. ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Fast and light. I've never traversed a wintry wonderland. I can literally run 12 miles down the street, but I don't know what it would be like to run in the snow because I live in Arkansas, lol. I'd suggest keeping seasonally appropriate items to keep cold and wet off of you and maybe a pair of snow shoes during the appropriate season along with some packets of Hot Hands and ways to make quick fire. If I had to traverse through the woods and dodge behind houses obviously a two hour run could turn into maybe all day (?) so I do keep a GHB with me.

Your GHB is to get your through a land of resources -an urban area- to your home or other resources. If you traverse a very rural area to get back home you might consider a cache or two.

My GHB is a GORUCK Bullet (10L) backpack with some entry gear, medical gear, lethal and nonlethal weapons, a small fixed blade knife, flashlight, headlamp, a small smattering of wildernessy survival gear, a flatfold N95 mask, ear plugs, power bank and cables, earbuds with inline mic, 2 person SOL heat sheat, and some hot hands.

Guttersnipe likes this.